"Animation In Carrara" Video Training (commercial)

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    argus1000 said:

It is a very good price too!

Yes! Even when not on sale! Thanks Phil!!! :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

You are welcome - I hope everyone gets a lot out of it.  In addition to the videos themselves, there are lots of working files, including sample scenes, a number of useful NLA Clips and even a complete animatable hair!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    argus1000 said:

It is a very good price too!

Yup, not bad.  For ~$18, I got Phil's great Carrara animation tutorials with included content plus 7 other Carrara compatible products, a total of about $115 list.  I guess the next step is for DAZ to just give away all their products.  And throw in some cash with them.  I would buy that.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks Phil. Scarfed it up as soon as I saw it... along with Night and Day City. I've now nearly cleaned out your store. blush

Would someone care to explain how it can be bought so cheaply - it is 30% off, plus people have their individual discounts which seem to be dependent on their volume of sales over the year, but that still doesn't get it to $18!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2016

I think the sale combination varies quite a bit among people.  I had the holiday rewards discount, plus I got 7 items free (one extra for getting your tutorial as a new release), plus I used my platinum discount code for another item I bought.  Without going back and trying to exactly calculate the cost of your tutorial, my back of the envelope calculation is about $26, although it shows up as $34.97 on my invoice.  The invoice doesn't break down the discounts by item and I did not take a screenshot of my cart.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I paid what you think I should have paid, Phil. With the 30% sale price  of $34.97 and my personal reduction of $5.59, it came down to $29.38. I can live with that.

No problems - enjoy!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 2016

I also got it for $18 due to the discounts, I was willing to pay full price for it though

Post edited by chickenman on
  • Can't wait to watch it, your tutorials are excellent Phil and have helped me more than I can say.

• PhilW said:

The robot was modelled and set up with IK in Carrara, all of the animation was done in Carrara. The final version as posted was rendered with Octane Render for Carrara, but honestly, the Carrara renders I was getting were not that much different, just a little more subtley in the soft reflections etc with Octane, plus it renders so fast.  But in something like this, I believe that it is the animation that carries it, not so much the render quality, although obviously you want it to look as good as possible. Thanks for the John Lasseter comparison, high praise indeed!

Thanks for the detailed response.  I have some questions about Octane, but will save for another thread.

I remember 10-12 years ago, when I first became involed in DAZ, how highly Carrara was regarded.  It was on the front page, alongside Studio.  And everyone would say, "If you want to do animation, Carrara is the way to go."  But I couldn't afford Carrara at the time, so I used Studio for animations.  They turned out pretty well, but limited.

These days, Carrara is still a powerful program, but almost seems an afterthought.  Wouldn't it be great if your new tutorial triggered a renaissance, and renreawakened people to the magic of Carrara?

OK, I'm being naive at best.  And glad to be so.

Very much looking forward (again) to your comprehensive instructions.  Would it be better to finish the Learning Carrara tutorial first?

PhilW said:
    Would it be better to finish the Learning Carrara tutorial first?

Provided you have covered the basics in Learning Carrara, the later chapters are dealing with specific aspects of the program (including an introduction to animation), and so you can go with what takes your interest, although there are some fun things covered!

• I loved the robot video!  Very cool.  I'm still just learning the basics of Carrara so, as much as I'd love to get this now, I'm forcing myself to wait until I've learned enough of the program to take full advantage of getting your tutorial before I buy it.  It definitely went on the wishlist, though, as I'd love to get to the point I can animate in Carrara.  The breakdown of what's in the tutorial looks awesome.  :)

• PhilW said:

Would someone care to explain how it can be bought so cheaply - it is 30% off, plus people have their individual discounts which seem to be dependent on their volume of sales over the year, but that still doesn't get it to $18!

I bought it even though I don't animate! I have all of Phil's training videos and I'm sure I'll learn a lot of useful things from this one. I had a 25% discount on top of the 30% sale price and paid $21 for it.

PhilW said:

The robot was modelled and set up with IK in Carrara, all of the animation was done in Carrara. The final version as posted was rendered with Octane Render for Carrara, but honestly, the Carrara renders I was getting were not that much different, just a little more subtley in the soft reflections etc with Octane, plus it renders so fast.  But in something like this, I believe that it is the animation that carries it, not so much the render quality, although obviously you want it to look as good as possible. Thanks for the John Lasseter comparison, high praise indeed!

Thanks for the detailed response.  I have some questions about Octane, but will save for another thread.

I remember 10-12 years ago, when I first became involed in DAZ, how highly Carrara was regarded.  It was on the front page, alongside Studio.  And everyone would say, "If you want to do animation, Carrara is the way to go."  But I couldn't afford Carrara at the time, so I used Studio for animations.  They turned out pretty well, but limited.

These days, Carrara is still a powerful program, but almost seems an afterthought.  Wouldn't it be great if your new tutorial triggered a renaissance, and renreawakened people to the magic of Carrara?

OK, I'm being naive at best.  And glad to be so.Very much looking forward (again) to your comprehensive instructions.  Would it be better to finish the Learning Carrara tutorial first?

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    Would it be better to finish the Learning Carrara tutorial first?

Provided you have covered the basics in Learning Carrara, the later chapters are dealing with specific aspects of the program (including an introduction to animation), and so you can go with what takes your interest, although there are some fun things covered!

I'd just like to add to this, if I may.

I think that it's really important to understand, right up-front, that Carrara is VAST software so there's a LOT to learn.

Understanding that, I feel that it's healthy to our Carrara experience to go ahead and watch through each of the courses in their entirety, and then go back and focus deeply into the subjects we need to know Now.

Granted, going through each course, following along and doing every project along with Phil will result in a LOT of Carrara experience... yes!

I always have projects going that I need to get done. Since I've already watched all of the courses all the way through, I have a really good understanding of where to find each lesson when I need it. But not enough time to conduct each and every project from start to finish.

So when I wanted to add particles to one of my projects, my vision related very much with Phil's Rocket lesson - so I explored that, did the lesson a couple times to get good a familiar with it. Now I can build that emitter in my sleep. But since I didn't wait until I finished all of the excercises before continuing on, I also have a good understanding of the Linear Workflow and Lighting methods introduced in Realism Rendering... so I do think it's healthy to watch everything through - then go back at any subject one at a time.

But that's just my two cents.

I often set a bunch of Phil's lessons in my video playlist at night when I'm kicking back and enjoy a good dose of Carrara TV. I do the same with Mike Moirs lessons and Cripeman as well ;)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    PhilW said:

I don't understand the arithmetic, either.  I'm not a PC member and don't have any special volume discounts that I know of, if that matters.  At the time, I was concentrating more on the 7 freebies, since I have most of the older Gen4 stuff that I use, so it took a while to pull them out of the long list.  But I  didn't pay attention to the $18 (plus tax) final price, other than to realize it was a great deal.

• Got it yesterday for $33.22 (30% + 5% off) and since it is a new release, a Knight freebie and another 9 freebies in the category of the ones @dartanbeck pointed out in another thread.

@PhilW, I think it's the first time I buy a new release, but since I have your other tutorials and know their quality, I couldn't ask for a better christmas present :-)

• Have enjoyed and learned a lot from your past series, so I will grab this one as well.  

Thanks guys for the kind comments and the support. It took many months to put together, and as I produced this myself rather than through Infinite Skills, I did all the editing etc myself as well. Great that it is being well received.

When do we get the UNREALISTIC rendering series?  wink​    Love your your courses, Phil.  Thanks for continuing to support Carrara. 

diomede said:

When do we get the UNREALISTIC rendering series?  ​ 

People can do that OK without my help...

• diomede said:

UNREALISTIC rendering

Lol, confused here, what is unrealistic rendering ? smiley

Whimsy!  YAToon, the NPR engine, by tradition almost all of animation!

diomede said:

UNREALISTIC rendering

edited December 2016

Post edited by Diomede on
  • You mean, something like this ? smiley

yes

You mean, something like this ? smiley

For this one I was just messing around with shadow options and happened upon a sort of cartoony look

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Animation aside, I'm always interested in NPR tools/outputs like yatoon(2), DCG's toon-pro, Carrara NPR, toonified octane/lux/? engines.

That said, Philw's tutorials have wonderful coverage of the concepts used in any 3D tool, rendering style not-withstanding!

cheers,

--ms

Love PhilW!!!!!!  yes  I agree 100% with this.

mindsong said:

That said, Philw's tutorials have wonderful coverage of the concepts used in any 3D tool, rendering style not-withstanding!

cheers,

--ms

edited December 2016
    diomede said:

Whimsy!  YAToon, the NPR engine, by tradition almost all of animation!

diomede said:

UNREALISTIC rendering

That is a misconception, actually.

There's actually a lot more photo-realistic animation than the cartoon-ish style. Many movies have extraordinary vfx animations without looking like they're vfx - which is why they're so good - the poor artist who truly got it right never gets his/her work noticed by the grand public! ;)

It's amazing how much fakery is used, now that we have the technology to pull it off successfully. Saves filmmakers and their sponsors a LOT of dough!

EDIT: Speaking of Movies, that is ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on