Do you want to participate making a Video Game?

visionaryvgamervisionaryvgamer Posts: 0
edited December 2012 in The Commons

Hi all

This is a survey for those interested in start in the video games industry

Also be aware that this WILL sound crazy, so be prepared

If you:

*Are good at animation with DAZ Studio and you want to start to build your resume as Animator and showcase your skills
*Money is not the most important thing for you right now
*You have free time to commit with a project ( 3 months aprox, not full time , I think a few hours a day could do it, depends how fast you are )

If your answered yes to all the questions:

I'm an indie developer, just starting, although with 10+ year experience as Software Developer and lifetime Gamer, 30+ years old,
capable of doing 3D games with medium complexity, located at Canada

I can NOT offer you money right now , my target is the IOS , the game style action / beat 'em all

We would work remotely and stay in touch via email, skype, etc..

What I can offer: you will be credited ( your full real name) in the game as Animator, so you can add that as a showcase of what you can do in a published game

If the game succeeds I would be able to start something formal and then we would be able to talk about money, although for this first game
I shall get all the rights on the animations (including source files) and there won't be any commitment from me to pay royalties for the job done ( we might need to sign some forms to ensure that)

Please , if you are super experienced and you think this is a non-sense, that you won't work for free , etc.. , please skip to post hate, this is a call for those who are looking for opportunities, have some spare time, are talented and want to build history and have solid evidence to showcase their skills

If you are truly interested, please email me a DAZ duf file with a 540 Kick animation done over Genesis at visionaryvgamer at gmail.com

Thanks for reading!

Post edited by visionaryvgamer on

Comments

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 2012

Damn, Im big fan of the old Beat em ups like Streets of Rage and Final Fight. I would be tempted to 'apply' for this, but sadly I just cannot spare 3 months unpaid - with the prospect of maybe no money at all in the end. I know the IOS market is pretty cut throat and its hard to get noticed.
    But I would if I could. :P
    I have worked on an IOS project before, I did all the 3d & textures for this -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kem3wtWxMw.
    It was a blast to work on, and I would love to have another go at it again some day :)

Post edited by Dogz on
  • visionaryvgamervisionaryvgamer Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Dogz!

Thanks for your reply!

I will add some clairifications to the main post, thanks for the feedback!

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

I shall get all the rights on the animations (including source files) and there won't be any commitment from me to pay royalties for the job done

I know you asked not to, and i tried hard not to respond to this, but seriously, have you read what you wrote there ? You probably mean well, but I think this shows of little respect to the artists here.
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

All things considered, people could do the work themselves. I mean, generally when requesting someone work for free partial rights is the thing to offer.

edited December 2012

I shall get all the rights on the animations (including source files) and there won't be any commitment from me to pay royalties for the job done

I know you asked not to, and i tried hard not to respond to this, but seriously, have you read what you wrote there ? You probably mean well, but I think this shows of little respect to the artists here.

Well, I dont really see it as disrespectful, hes offering the chance to have your work put in to game, with a slight possibility of financial reward (Im assuming this is based on how the game sells) So it is what it is, take it or leave it,
    Personally I'd perfer that he be upfront and honest about what he is offering than overly respectful and vague, IMO there is no harm in him asking - although 3 month of volunteer work is BIG ask. The main problem he will have here, is that animators and artists have got to eat too. :)
    The way its usually done for indie IOS games, is that developers offer artist and programers either a fee for their work OR offere a small % cut in saled revenue. Since he is unable to offer the former and cant garrentee thr latter, I think he will not find it easy to get a volunteer to produce 3 months of work.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Hi BlackFeather,

Thanks for your response, and I understand your point

I may be lacking writing skills to express my point. I want to protect the rights of my game, If it becomes a hit I don't want an opportunist trying to get advantage of it, I want the rights on the animations for the game, I would not re-sell the animations alone or something like that

Also if it succeeds I would like to pay fairly for the job done, but at this point I can't guarantee that nor give hope on something not yet known

Thanks

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

There have been several similar things like this just lately, and always with the person not offering anything in return, so I can understand why people are querying yet another one.

Personal post BTW, not an official view.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049
    edited December 1969

You are aware that if this is going to be a 3D game you will need to own a game developer license for the vendor, as well as your own copies of all content used that isn't created by the participants? Given that only DAZ itself and a couple of PAs have game licenses you will need to let potential animators know which you own so that they will know what content they can use. Of course if you are looking for 2D sprite based content that isn't an issue.

edited December 2012

You are aware that if this is going to be a 3D game you will need to own a game developer license for the vendor, as well as your own copies of all content used that isn't created by the participants? Given that only DAZ itself and a couple of PAs have game licenses you will need to let potential animators know which you own so that they will know what content they can use. Of course if you are looking for 2D sprite based content that isn't an issue.

@ Richard, i believe (or I hope) he is asking for the DUF just as an example of their animation skills.
    There is no way in hell he could get high poly models like V4 and Genesis running in a realtime app on an IOS device, it would grind the bloody thing to a halt.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Hi all!

Thanks for your comments

Personally I haven't appllied myself, but I have seen people applying to jobs at major video game companies unsuccesfully because
    they ask for experience on published games, they want evidence

What I offer here is that, a place to show

I'm not a greedy enterpreneur that don't want to invest and want people to work for free, I work as programmer during the day and in the nights until 3 am (really tired) I do my project, have been doing that for months.

I just looking for somebody with similar objectives than me, and with the dream of make videogames as a motivation to take the risk. No risk no reward

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Hi Richard!

It will be a 3D game

I own a Indie Game Dev License from DAZ, and I have a nice library of Daz Originals ( I assume when they say DAZ, AnotherVendor) it is considered a DAZ Original, also because the appear when I filter only DAZ (please let me know if I'm wrong)

For the Animations I can take the animations done with Genesis and apply them to my models, the artist don't need to have the specific models

With some tuning I was able to put the DAZ characters in my IOS game =)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049
    edited December 1969

I own a Indie Game Dev License from DAZ, and I have a nice library of Daz Originals ( I assume when they say DAZ, AnotherVendor) it is considered a DAZ Original, also because the appear when I filter only DAZ (please let me know if I'm wrong)

Yes, that's right - if DAZ is listed first it's covered by the gaming license..

edited December 2012

Hi Richard!

With some tuning I was able to put the DAZ characters in my IOS game =)

Wha....?? In an enviroment with shadow maps and AI routines running? you must have dont a hell of alot of optimising..
    Now that would like to see..... :)

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 2012

hehe, well it does not look like a AAA game yet, and the models were somehow re worked, still they look pretty good

I don't want to disclose pictures of the game I'm working in right now , indeed , this is the second one, the first one was, let's say, a demo (for windows), that has not been released

Post edited by visionaryvgamer on
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 2012

Hi all

This is a survey for those interested in start in the video games industry

Also be aware that this WILL sound crazy, so be prepared

If you:

*Are good at animation with DAZ Studio and you want to start to build your resume as Animator and showcase your skills
    *Money is not the most important thing for you right now
    *You have free time to commit with a project ( 3 months aprox, not full time , I think a few hours a day could do it, depends how fast you are )

Well if you buy me a new licensce of maya or motionbuilder, i can do animation for you...
    Animate in dazstudio, are you nuts? take to long with the available features in the program.
    if the IK/FK was working, i could think about it. but not as long it isn't working.

Post edited by Fixme12 on
    edited December 1969

Hi fixme12

Yeah, well, the budget is an issue here, I have faith on DAZ Studio

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Hi all!

Please feel free to pass this message to people you know that may be interested

I know it sounds crazy, but hey! people get married tru Internet, why not to make a game!

Thanks!

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

There is no way I would sign away all rights and give away source files for 3 months free labour. You say that should the end result have some success you would discuss finances then, all I can say is if that did happen then I would be very surprised and having given away all rights the artist would have no bargaining power anyway. Sounds to me like you just want free labour.

Cheers
    GG

edited December 1969

Hi Kiwi

I understand this sound risky, that's why I think this is best suited for somebody who is starting and wants to build a name

Distrust is one of the biggest stoppers for business, even among friends you get the chance to have a bad experience and to be betrayed.

That's the reason the only solid thing I can offer is to put the artist work in the spotlight.

Again, I'm willing to compensate but right now I can't say how much and when.

Sometimes we need to do different/unexpected things to get new/different results