How do I rig a door to open and close?

WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
edited December 2012 in New Users

I have made a model which has a door I wish to be able to open and close.

Can someone tell me what I have to do to get it to work please. Do I add bones or what?

Post edited by Wilmap on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 2012

You could add bones, but you could also move the centre point of the door to the hinge edge, and use the Parameters tab, it might be much simpler. Have you tried that?

Here is one I just did using the Move Origin script. In this case I just used the X Rotate slider, which could be renamed to 'Open Door'

Untitled-1.jpg
    1044 x 622 - 206K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jimmy will give that a try.

Where do I find the script you mentioned please?

edited December 1969

Actually it is much easier to just use the Joint Editor tool. Select your door, click on the Joint Editor Tool, and move the gizmos to where you want the origin to be.

I will post an image if you need it.

edited December 1969

OK I have managed to move the pivot point and I can now open and shut the door, but I can't find anywhere that allows me to change the name of the rotation to Open/Shut.

Any help please.

edited December 1969

Glad you have it done. You have to click on the little cog symbol, and go to Parameter Settings as shown below to change the name.

Untitled-1.jpg
    711 x 682 - 239K
    edited December 1969

I see. Thanks Jimmy

edited December 1969

You are very welcome Wnedy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished item.

edited December 2012

It's my first large model. It isn't that good, but we've all got to start somewhere.

I wanted something to go with some clothes I'm making and I couldn't find anything anywhere else.

Thanks for your help.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Another tip for a door is to set limits for the rotation. In the dialog Jimmy showed, you can check 'Use Limits' and set a maximum value. This would be something like 90 or 150 degrees, depending on the door and its position on the wall. The point of it is to stop the door crashing through the wall if you open it too far.

You may not need it for this, but it might come in handy in future.

mac

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460
    edited December 1969

Ok, Thanks for all the tips here, great!

I have figured out how to change the rotation point of an object (to it’s edge like a door hinge), how to limit it’s rotation (so it doesn’t spin all the way around), and how to lock it so that it only rotates (doesn’t move on X,Y, or Z).

But for my project several parts need to have these qualities and be locked into something that can move like an R2-D2 model. It's all mechanical so no bending is needed.

Next will be combining several primitives together that can be moved individually but still are locked into a central primitive.
    Am I only researching the joint editor or is there another tool to look into, other search terms in the forum?

• Cool! Next question along the same lines would be, how do I rig a propeller to rotate? I'm wanting to do some aircraft for DAZ, which will have rotary engines, i.e. the entire engine will rotate with the propeller. I'm not sure how to rig that. I also need to create an additional prop for aerial renders with the propeller and engine spinning.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,460

wdsmith1959_3fbf- this type of function is exactly what I'm looking for too. An object that rotates but is locked into something else. I might thave a resource for this, just a little searching...

As far as your spinning (in motion) idea- I would probably use a sphere flattened down to the thickness of the propeller and then use a combination of a blurred diffuse and opacity map. Does that make sense? Do you have photoshop or similar? Making the map for a sphere could be a little tricky, a flat plane would be much easier but if you did a render directly from the side the propeller would be way too thin.

• Usually this would be handled with a figure, but you could just parent the rotator as a prop, adjust the centre point, lock and hide the translations (by clicking the gear icon on the parameter and selecting Parameters Settings), and lock and hide unwanted rotations.

• Damn i was having issues with this... Not an artist as such, I was using a premade set but the doors were fixed...

Thanks to Jimmy - I was finally able to add in a basic rig... BEAUTY!

And Wilmap - Love your creations! :)