Help Requested With G3F Export to IC6

his xhis x Posts: 866
edited November 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

REF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umSgDdSnw0

The vid (above) makes it look easy, but I'm bombing.  Help me learn to do this please, if you can.

I take an unmodified G3, do nothing to it, apply the correct Facekey, and export to FBX.  I bring it into 3DX and most of the facial morphs don't work.  Only Head and Eyes work, all others are as if no FaceKey was applied at all.  When I try to load a 3DX animation profile for test, I get an error message.  Whatever it is I'm doing wrong I'm very consistent about it, because I've gotten the same results 50 times in a row.  I understand some would say this is a 3DX issue, so I'm going to ask there too.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

error.png
556 x 278 - 17K
Post edited by his x on

Comments

• are you using the release build or the beta?

I am not sure they fixed it in the general release, the FBX dll for DAZ studio

if you install the beta it will not overwite the general release and you can copy paste the dll in plugins

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited November 2016

are you using the release build or the beta?

I am not sure they fixed it in the general release, the FBX dll for DAZ studio

if you install the beta it will not overwite the general release and you can copy paste the dll in plugins

Argh!  That bugger DID make a point of saying "use the BETA."  If this works I'll get a tattoo of your avatar.  I'll be back.

...............................................................................

[later]

Well THAT sure makes a difference!  There is the business of the shrunken teeth, and the configuring of the export rules so as not to export the same morph twice, but I believe these can be managed.  As the character needs to be re-exported every time it changes clothes, I just couldn't see assigning all these morphs manually.  But as a plain spoken man in a marketing world, I assumed the fault was mine.  For me this has been a day well spent.  Now I'm going to be busy for a while.

Thanks.

Post edited by his x on

Later...

The shrunken teeth issue is solved, sort of.  The "Realistic Mouth" morph must be set to zero before exporting.  But there is another morph I can't find, something that is part of the default.  Zeroing the figure takes care of it.  I will say this export utility is no ball of fire.  I am considering letting the process run overnight.

Beard morphs now export wonderfully.  They are the main reason I would like to succeed at exporting. 

DAZ characters lose there sharp, crisp facial characteristics when they are imported into 3DX.  This, I assume, cannot be helped.  I am waiting to see what iClone's new "Pro Facial System" is all about.  Facial detail and expression are the second reason I would like to see exporting work out. 

So far, so good.

After many successful exports, I have to say I'm not satisfied with the results.  The sharply chiseled facial features DAZ is so good at turn into rounded dough-like shapes in IC.  I'm going to try a different approach.

IC relies a lot on using photos to generate custom heads.  I've seen some impressive results.  I'm going to try it using some Iray renders.  If this works out, I will be a happy camper.

Anybody ever try this?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited December 2016

"After many successful exports, I have to say I'm not satisfied with the results.  The sharply chiseled facial features DAZ is so good at turn into rounded dough-like shapes in IC.  I'm going to try a different approach."

Hi Despite their recent ,notable improvements in  the looks of their realtime characters with the introduction of their character creator app,

Iclone is still essentially a game engine with a focus on realtime animation performance.

The Genesis 3 model was built for a single purpose.

To sell Daz store content to the High resolution still render community here with a preference for Iray.cool

Even if one looks at Daz's Companion site "Morph3D"
    one will find Game optimized versions of the "older "genesis 2 figures & content that is intend for the hightly lucrative Unity game developers market.

Any claims that Genesis 3  is somehow better suited for uses in other environments is debatable if one reads about the visccitudes that most users have to endure to get a functional Genesis3 into Motionbuilder,or Unity etc.

Just consider your own experience and consider the labor vs benefit ratio of using G3 in Iclone . 

That second video you ,to which you linked ,Appears to be using a typical Game res Iclone Avatar with normal maps to fake the Appearance Facial details for Iclones real time animation performance engine.

I am curious what advantage one may see in using a Daz genesis 3 at base resolution, in that environment
    as opposed one of the New Iclone females who will save one So much labor and create a finished animation in Iclone just as nice looking as any Low res FBX imported  imported genesis 3 figure.

Post edited by wolf359 on
    wolf359 said:
    I am curious what advantage one may see in using a Daz genesis 3 at base resolution, in that environment
    as opposed one of the New Iclone females who will save one So much labor and create a finished animation in Iclone just as nice looking as any Low res FBX imported  imported genesis 3 figure.

I see two reasons to export characters from DAZ to IC, rather than use CC to create them.

The first one is beards.  IC has next to nothing to offer.  Characters imported from DAZ, on the other hand, have no problem with beards.  I can hardly believe RL ignores such a fundamental point.

The second reason is content.  The selection of DAZ content available dwarfs what IC offers.  But as you say, DAZ is primarily a still-image community.  DAZ is not quite a go-to animation tool.

As for G2 vs G3, I'm still learning to adapt clothing from one generation of figures to another.  Once I get past that, I will be less particular about which character I use.  With no classrooms, no teachers, no seminars and no professionally written manuals, I have spent an unimaginably long time learning what I otherwise could have learned in a few weeks.  The connection to the Unity game market does have appeal to me, and I intend to pursue it if I live long enough.

In an ideal world, DAZ would simply replace RL CC.  They could start by exporting heads.  CC is a good idea, but the implementation of it, IMO, has been unenthusiastic. 

Thanks.

• I have certainly used rendered heads as a basis for my characters in crazytalk iclone etc so yes it is quite doable.

I actually found Genesis 3 works quite well in iClone, am wondering if your FBX export has something ticked or unticked that you are losing the morphs, it was discussed recently on the Reallusion forum.

http://forum.reallusion.com/305353/Morphed-DAZ-Characters-into-3DXChange-Pipeline

HD morphs do not export of course.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

"HD morphs do not export of course."

Which  is understandable because the real time viewport performace 
    in Iclone is designed  for realtime animation & motion building .

This is why a Daz genesis models look no better than a RL CC figure once imported via FBX

I LOVE Iclone for motion creation But ultimately I export that motion back out to Hi res Daz Figures in DS who are then dressed and sent over to Maxon C4D Via obj/MDD for final animation renders.

"In an ideal world, DAZ would simply replace RL CC.  They could start by exporting heads.  CC is a good idea, but the implementation of it, IMO, has been unenthusiastic. "
    Thanks."

I do understand why Reallusion created the CC app
    it is the very same reason the Daz's parent company created "morph 3D"...

The $$$Game Dev Content market$$$wink
    Reallusion Offers export licenses to use the RL CC figures in Unity & Unreal etc.

Daz Does the same with "morph3D"

it is a very competitive Market.

edited December 2016

I have certainly used rendered heads as a basis for my characters in crazytalk iclone etc so yes it is quite doable.

I actually found Genesis 3 works quite well in iClone, am wondering if your FBX export has something ticked or unticked that you are losing the morphs, it was discussed recently on the Reallusion forum.

http://forum.reallusion.com/305353/Morphed-DAZ-Characters-into-3DXChange-Pipeline

HD morphs do not export of course.

That's interesting.  I read the thread.  They refer to "the tutorial."  I wonder which tutorial they mean.  Do you happen to know?

I configured the DAZ Morph Export rules according to a recent RL video that deals with importing G3 characters.  That's where the "head." statement comes from.  He was specific about putting a dot after the word.

export fbx.png
    322 x 310 - 12K
    Post edited by his x on
    edited December 2016
    wolf359 said:

This is why a Daz genesis models look no better than a RL CC figure once imported via FBX.

I'm not 100% clear on what an "HD" morph is. I assume it means High Definition?

The strengths and weaknesses of each product are clear. The Inertia of Things As They Are is all that stops one product from spanking the other. There seems to be enough corn in the trough for all.

Post edited by his x on
  • wolf359 said:

How do you export motion back to Daz? I have a real problem with BVH export. I want to export motion back to G3F and clothe with dynamic cloth in Daz Studio. I've tried converting the G2 motion to G3 but then get all sorts of foot sliding and innacuracies. Any pointers to how to appreciated.

This is why a Daz genesis models look no better than a RL CC figure once imported via FBX

I LOVE Iclone for motion creation But ultimately I export that motion back out to Hi res Daz Figures in DS who are then dressed and sent over to Maxon C4D Via obj/MDD for final animation renders.

"In an ideal world, DAZ would simply replace RL CC.  They could start by exporting heads.  CC is a good idea, but the implementation of it, IMO, has been unenthusiastic. "
    Thanks."

Reallusion Offers export licenses to use the RL CC figures in Unity & Unreal etc.

• wolf359 said:

How do you export motion back to Daz? I have a real problem with BVH export. I want to export motion back to G3F and clothe with dynamic cloth in Daz Studio. I've tried converting the G2 motion to G3 but then get all sorts of foot sliding and innacuracies. Any pointers to how to appreciated.

Thanks."

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited June 2017
    wolf359 said:

Thanks."

There's quite a few vids on the tube by Reallusion theat show in detail how this is accomplished.  Pretty simple if you follow the steps and own the "pipeline" versions of the software

edit to add:  There are scripts available here at DAZ to convert motions from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3.

Post edited by ProPose on