what can or can't be redistributed

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905
edited March 2017 in The Commons

I was looking through the EULA's for various modelling software including Carrara and Hexagon as well as third party software like Zbrush, while it is always assumed you can create your own mesh and redustribute it, nothing is actually spelt out explicitly, and after reading this thread 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/128666/any-program-out-there-that-can-create-royalty-free-meshes-of-trees-and-plants

I started to question what can and cannot be redistributed.

The Cornucopia plant software does explicitly outline restrictions on using generated tree mesh, Carrara does not.

One would assume trees dialed up using leaves created by PA's like Howie Farkes are indeed for render only as are the included tree examples but I always assumed dialing your own parameters from scratch using leaves you modelled in the vertex room and your own textures would be ok, likewise a Terrain you created your self with the map editor etc.

I do actually have the indi gaming license (got it on sale once) so that use in games at least safe but I was thinking more of set creation for say DAZ studio, iClone, Poser etc where obj export and creating a new product for free or sale.

Same would apply to Bryce.

Is it any different to using vertex tools or spline editing, its just a modelling tool but for tree generation, more to the point how do you know what you can do with any modelling software as very few actually say even Zbrush.

LAMH for what it is worth does explicitly say you can share your hairs likewise Headshop/Faceshop morphs as long as no DAZ mesh redustributed.

Whereas Garibaldi says you cannot and Facegen only with the pro edition.

To use two examples.

The grey areas worry me.

I have modelled shrubs, not trees using the Carrara tree generator as a starting point and modelled my own leaves and flowers from scratch, but heavily modified them after decimating to create shrubs I put on sharecg that actually are pretty far removed from any thing dialled up in Carrara, Xfrog is used by others in a similar way.

Only a handfull as rather unsure where I really stand in that regards.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76128/gallery/5/3D-Model/Wendyzplantz

considering been up 3 years, not terribly popular!! cheeky

but nonetheless I would like some definate answers.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

To be safe, if you didn't model it yourself from scratch, then you can't redistribute it.

• you know I never got an answer on this

mind you not asked DAZ CS yet as I am not really redistributing anything but renders though I actually bought the indy license a while back so could cook games if I could get Unity to work

I unistalled it all today!!!

still have UDK

but yeah back to mesh, Carrara trees or for that matter Bryce trees (self dialed not presets) things made from DAZ studio primitives, where do we stand?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905

OK an updated question

I had assumed one could redistribute a duf scene or self dialed adjusted charcter preset, just the duf file no data textures etc that are not made by you.

as for instance a scene made using several PA products put together in a scene but only referenced by pathways etc so it load if person has them gets cubes and warnings if not.

Likewise a dialed up character or one you have adjusted things only found in that duf file such as weightmapping say to work in an application such as Carrara but again it references the end users data via pathways.

I would like to know the restrictions and what we are allowed to discus about such topics.

I use Carrara and a helpful thread talking about getting Genesis 3 into Carrara is no longer around for reference, I am confused as to the reasons and what we are allowed to do and not do.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Unity has a pretty good Speed Tree modeling program built into it.

Unity has a pretty good Speed Tree modeling program built into it.

that AFAIK cannot be redistributed

I am talking about what I am allowed to share with others or as a product, say a landscape for DAZ studio made using the Carrara terrain tools and tree modeller

and my latest question about referencing other's assets as a required product in a duf scene or character preset

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Oh, sorry. I'd use Blender and make new models. They have ivy generator add-ons and such that you could modify I'm sure to generate trees & such too.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You are walking a very fine line.   The only way to really get a definitve answer to this query is to ask Daz 3D directly, by filing a help ticket. 
    No answer given by any forum member can be taken as speaking for DAZ 3D, only Daz can give you the answer you need.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    Chohole said:

You are walking a very fine line.   The only way to really get a definitve answer to this query is to ask Daz 3D directly, by filing a help ticket. 
    No answer given by any forum member can be taken as speaking for DAZ 3D, only Daz can give you the answer you need.

Correct. Daz may contact the PA with your contact info to give you a direct answer.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Wendy, I can't see any reason you couldnt distribute a carrara tree you made yourself - as long as you made the bark and leaf shaders  if they were included

only a carrara owner would be able to use it anyways

same goes as an obj file if you 'made' the tree yourself - though that would be crazy

a car file I would expect would be ok, its the obj that gets a bit iffy offsite at least.

Nothing is spelt out in the EULA about Carrara's modelling tools, one just assumes even using the vertex room to model stuff ok but it's not actually written down anywhere.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Sure, so I go to Bunnings and buy a drop saw and get some wood and make a box and then Bunnings calls me to say that I cannot give or sell my box.

head wax said:

Sure, so I go to Bunnings and buy a drop saw and get some wood and make a box and then Bunnings calls me to say that I cannot give or sell my box.

bad example, you can buy a readymade box and sell it

you can sell a CD even but not copy and sell the music on it

everything is complicated 

some softwares explicitly say you need x version to produce sellable mesh others do not allow you to redistribute any mesh only their native files.

My point is although Carrara nothing specific is stated it is covered by the DAZ EULA in the about and that actually only says renders.

Same with Hexagon.

while it's usually a given anything you model in them is yours it's actually not legally spelt out, whereas many softwares do infact state so explicitly.

• FaveralFaveral Posts: 415

Your question for the trees is very similar to characters for G8 for example. You can make custom morphs and textures and you can sell that to be applied to G8, but you can't sell the G8 mesh you transformed.

As for creating scenes with preexisting content, so long as you don't sell the content itself, you're fine.