3Dconnexion 3D Mouse is 20x too sensitive in DAZ Studio 4.9

dougbeachydougbeachy Posts: 0

Hi all, I recently purchased a 3Dconnexion 3DX-700028 SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse.  It works great in Firefox, Windows Explorer, and Photoshop, but in DAZ 4.9 Pro (I'm using the latest public beta for its Iray support on Pascal cards) it is so sensitive that it is completely unusable -- the slightest touch sends the scene spinning off.  Is there any way to adjust the 3D mouse sensitivtiy for DAZ?  I bought this mouse primarly for use in DAZ, but the software support in DAZ is useless in its present state.  sad  Any help would be much appreciated!

Post edited by dougbeachy on

Comments

• FossilFossil Posts: 166

Try older drivers.  Uninstall EVERYTHING that was installed by (I presume) the latest,  then start going backwards.  I'm using 10.3 (I think) and it works just fine. 

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66

I've got mine working just fine in 4.8 (4.9 shouldn't make a difference) for all but the very closest (most zoomed) work - but you need to make a couple of tweaks to the settings.  Remember, you need to be in DS when you open the SpaceNavigator properties dialog.

I'm running 3DxWare 10.3, with 3DxWinCore 17.3.0.12346.  SpaceNavigator firmware 4.36.

Try these exact settings, especially note to disable the arcing motion.  With these settings I find that I only need to adjust the overall speed on the main page depending on whether I'm zoomed in or out on a model.  I also set up the two buttons as follows: the left is a radial popup selection for some often used positioning tools.  The right button is set to Frame Object which allows me to select any object in the node hierarchy with my mouse and then click the button to instantly jump there in the model.  For me, the SpaceNavigator was the greatest purchase for DS!

DAZ 3Dconnexion.png
    1175 x 565 - 69K
    DAZ 3Dconnexion 2.png
    214 x 216 - 29K
  • Thanks guys!  Going into the Advanced settings and cranking down the sensitivity, plus setting "Speed" setting to a minimum in the main dialog, made it usable!  I'd upload you guys a beer if I could.smiley 

• GaryH_3dxE said:

I've got mine working just fine in 4.8 (4.9 shouldn't make a difference) for all but the very closest (most zoomed) work - but you need to make a couple of tweaks to the settings.  Remember, you need to be in DS when you open the SpaceNavigator properties dialog.

I'm running 3DxWare 10.3, with 3DxWinCore 17.3.0.12346.  SpaceNavigator firmware 4.36.

Try these exact settings, especially note to disable the arcing motion.  With these settings I find that I only need to adjust the overall speed on the main page depending on whether I'm zoomed in or out on a model.  I also set up the two buttons as follows: the left is a radial popup selection for some often used positioning tools.  The right button is set to Frame Object which allows me to select any object in the node hierarchy with my mouse and then click the button to instantly jump there in the model.  For me, the SpaceNavigator was the greatest purchase for DS!

Hi Gary!  How did you set up the Radial Menu?  I'm still trying to figure it out.  Thank you so much in advance! 

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

I contacted 3dconnexion a while ago because I had the same question. They contacted DAZ and replied in the end that their API is not accurately used in Studio. To really solve the issue DAZ need to correct their code. Since then I am waiting for a note in the release notes that this happened.

• I was able to get one of these controllers at a great price, so I've been experimenting -- the Daz default motion speed is overly fast, and setting the sliders to smaller values can actually disable the rotation axes (probably due to precision). What seemed to help was updating the <Settings> block in the DAZStudio.exe.xml file that you'll find in %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\ with something like: 

<Settings>
        <ResponseCurve>6.1</ResponseCurve>
        <OverallScale>0.01</OverallScale>
      </Settings>  

With the most important part probably being the Response Curve, as it keeps smaller motions (just tapping the controller, etc.) limited to slower speeds. Of course, the speeds accelerate quickly, so this isn't necessarily the ideal. I suspect that adding a scale slider to the Devices options in Daz Studio will (eventually) be the proper fix here.

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

Do you mind sending a ticket to DAZ and / or 3dconnexion?

I did, but maybe it helps if more people aks for a fix.