GenX question

Hey folks.

I recently got Generation X and the various add-ons, so I could convert the shape of some older characters, mostly G2F, into G3.  The first one I have tried this on is a character from G2F's Josie 6, FW Cassie, converted to G3. Now, when this conversion is done I get 3 dials -- Cassie, Josie, and Genesis 2. Female. The body looks fine by just turning up the first dial, but to get the head to have the right shape, I need all 3 dials turned up. Then she looks like the old character.

But... with the G2F dial turned up, I've found that some pose sets end up 'off kilter' -- the pose takes, and looks mostly OK, but the whole body ends up at a slight angle.  Now this can be easily fixed, but I have only done a little testing and I am concerned that as I get into different pose sets, clothing, etc, there will be some problems with the compatibility.

Has anyone else faced this before and if so, is there a setting I can use in the GenX converter to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766
    edited November 2016

Are you applying G2 poses or G3 poses?  I've never had any issue with poses, per se, as long as they've been converted to the right format, but I have had a few cases where, with really extreme morphs, some of the bends seem ever so slightly off.  That's not a fault with GenX, but rather because the shape of the underlying "skeleton" of the new figure doesn't exactly match the older one.  I know that it can be fixed manually using the joint editor tool, but as I've never actually done that, it would be better to let one of our more experience brethren explain the process.       

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

my GenX conversions along those lines gave me separate dials for the characters' heads and body shapes, in addition to the full character dials.  if yours did too, you may be able to get the look you want by using the single full-character dial and two head dials, and your poses might apply more cleanly.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Are you applying G2 poses or G3 poses?  I've never had any issue with poses, per se, as long as they've been converted to the right format, but I have had a few cases where, with really extreme morphs, some of the bends seem ever so slightly off.  That's not a fault with GenX, but rather because the shape of the underlying "skeleton" of the new figure doesn't exactly match the older one.  I know that it can be fixed manually using the joint editor tool, but as I've never actually done that, it would be better to let one of our more experience brethren explain the process.       

You don't need to use the joint editor.  You just need to select the figure and  in the scene tab you click the little dropdown box and select Edit -> Rigging -> Adjust Rigging to Shape

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766

You don't need to use the joint editor.  You just need to select the figure and  in the scene tab you click the little dropdown box and select Edit -> Rigging -> Adjust Rigging to Shape

Good to know.  One of these days DAZ will actually print decent instructions for DS, though we probably we won't be able to read them because we'll be too busy fighting off the invasion of the mutant flying pigs with all of the monkeys flying out of our rear ends.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

Should have said. I'm using G3 poses.  I do get dials for the body as well as the head. I'm using different head andf body on the same figure. The body works fine with the full body dial for the Izzy body (the one I am using for the chracter), but for the head to look close to correct, I need to dial up Cassie, Josie, and G2F.