my first iray render.

so i had a few issues with my first iray render. See the grainess in his face, and the white dot things in his hair. Any help on what i did wrong or options on what to do better would be great =-) Thanks

1.png
938 x 1024 - 743K

Comments

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi,

in general: render longer until you're satisfied with the quality.
    Under the render settings there is the category "Progressive Rendering". Here you can set the following parameters to the max.:

• Max Samples
    • Max Time
    • Rendering Converged Ratio (this please only below 100%)

Especially the converged ratio can be the point. Some of the grains in the deep shadow areas start to resolve only above 99%.

The next question:
    Did you already convert all surfaces / materials to iRay?
    In the Content Library is a shader preset "iray Uber" in the subfolder IRAY which provides the base iray settings and automatically converts the selected materials. You still have to make some adjustments afterwards.

The rest is simply: experimenting.

• ooo i didnt know about the shader preset to convert! are there any turturails out there i can watch or read on how to do it and what ajustments to do afterwards?  And thank you for the render settings ill give it a shot

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

The conversion is simple. It has to be handled like every normal shader apply.
    And the afterwork is adjusting glossyness, translucency, etc. for your likes.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited November 2016

Yes, convert all the clothing and hair with Iray uber in surfaces.  In fact, if the whole scene less the figure isn't Iray, select all, go to surfaces, expand all then in the editor apply Iray Uber environment.  There are Iray skin converters there too for the figure, and genesis figures should have an Iray skin converter on your system.  Also, play around with the lighting to get rid of the graniness.  Also, under render settings the default is 95%.  I typically max out the time and samples, and set it to 96%.  Get ready for lots of trial and error.

Post edited by areg5 on