Seeking Daz3d artist for illustration commissions

Hello

I am a writer seeking a Daz3d artist to create a series of illustrations based off Daz3d models
for an illustrated novel I am creating

I need a total of 17 illustrations
these illustrations would feature between 1-3 characters

Some would feature backgrounds other would not

I would give you character designs you would give me preview images of the characters you’ve designed
Once the images have been improved

You’ll receive an illustration script detailing what I want in the illustrations
you would then
pose and render the images

I can pay 42 dollars for each illustration
plus you as the artists would receive full credit for your work

If anyone is interested or has any other questions please me email me

Comments

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited November 2016

You want character designs and full illustrations for $42? Do you not undserstand how long it may take a person to do an illustration? Some can take over a day. Would you work for over a day for $42? which is below basic wage. I highly doubt you would.

As someone who gets at least one email liek this a week fromn authors and self publishers, I am always surprised how little some regard the art that sells your book. The art is what sells the book, the words is what makes it a good book. One does come before the other though. 

Post edited by Eamon on
  • Eamon said:

You want character designs and full illustrations for $42? Do you not undserstand how long it may take a person to do an illustration? Some can take over a day. Would you work for over a day for $42? which is below basic wage. I highly doubt you would.

As someone who gets at least one email liek this a week fromn authors and self publishers, I am always surprised how little some regard the art that sells your book. The art is what sells the book, the words is what makes it a good book. One does come before the other though. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899

I'd MAYBE do it for $100 a shot, pay on delivery (rather than 'on publication' and other shenanigans)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899

Eamon: At least he's not saying 'oh you get EXPOSURE! No money.'

So, hey.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,452
    edited November 2016

There's a whole bunch of questions that need to get asked.  Its true there's not alot of money in this.   17 x 42 = 714   But definitely should be paid per delivery of each image.

There's a whole question of acquiring the content for this.  Is it set in the present?  or is it a period piece?  How much background setting is needed in the illustration?  are the 1-3 characters the same 1-3 characters throughout,  and do they stay in the same wardrobe throughout?   Is there a specific style for the art that's expected. 

It's still potentially an opportunity for a student to get a paid gig,  a bit of experience and a credit under their belt. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Eamon: At least he's not saying 'oh you get EXPOSURE! No money.'

So, hey.

this is true but the bar on how artists are regarded by many is becoming increasingly low.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I just did an entry in the #VR contest and just to get that to render to 3% on my computer was a lot of time. However someone with a modern computer and newest nVidia card using only off the shelf DAZ products, of which they'd need to have a big library of already, might do it for you if they happen along this thread.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    Eamon said:

I could be interested, but as Eamon stated $42 is too low, and if you tally up the time put into it it's a really low wage for anyone.  Look at personal commissions for 3D art - they usually start at $50-60 for a single figure.  For professional use it usually starts at $100.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I'd be willing to give it a try for $42 an image. Sent a PM

• Thank you for your reponses    I am willing to move the price up   I can afford to pay 60 dollar per illustration    Also, an alternative  would be hiring someone to create character templates 
    it would be a character placed in A-POSE front back left right and 45 degree...    You would render the character as a Png that i could use in a 2d animation program
    The character would seen in 12 images-2 outfits    I could pay 168 dollars per template    I would need a total of   4 characters  If anyone is interested i can be reached at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you 

• Hello this is a revised discussion detailing an offer to pay for an artist to design illustrations  I've rised the amount i am willing to pay for the illustrations   

Hello

I am a writer seeking a Daz3d artist to create a series of illustrations based off Daz3d models
    for an illustrated novel I am creating

I need a total of 17 illustrations
    these illustrations would feature between 1-3 characters

Some would feature backgrounds other would not

I would give you character designs you would give me preview images of the characters you’ve designed
    Once the images have been improved

You’ll receive an illustration script detailing what I want in the illustrations
    you would then
    pose and render the images

I can pay 60 dollars for each illustration
    plus you as the artists would receive full credit for your work

If anyone is interested or has any other questions please me email me at [email protected]   thank you

So what you are creating is a 2D game and you need sprite sheets created for 4 characters? Are you using Unity 3D? Besides DAZ Studio, Moho is probably well suited to create your character templates.

Don't forget, it you don't have the products that the creator of your chararacter templates / sprite sheets uses you would do well to insist they list what the used and send you the scene files so you can buy the products used yourself, which might also be quite expensive. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

So what you are creating is a 2D game and you need sprite sheets created for 4 characters? Are you using Unity 3D? Besides DAZ Studio, Moho is probably well suited to create your character templates.

Don't forget, it you don't have the products that the creator of your chararacter templates / sprite sheets uses you would do well to insist they list what the used and send you the scene files so you can buy the products used yourself, which might also be quite expensive. 

According to the OP, the images are for a visual novel, not a game

• im using crazytalk animator 3 to pose the characters and get facial expressions that are more natural  i have a host of daz3d items but iwas told i could not allow the artist to download the items i bought to their system

I am creating a graphic novel i'm not a huge fan of the daz3d poses and expressions  crazytalk animator is a long trip out of the way to achieve my goal

My primary wish would be to have an artist create the illustrations i need for my book... i am open-minded about which concept works best  

• SPACECHIMPSPACECHIMP Posts: 212
    edited November 2016

Hi icemonster I sent you a message.

Post edited by SPACECHIMP on
    edited November 2016
    Havos said:

According to the OP, the images are for a visual novel, not a game

Well they mentioned they'd be used in a 2D animation program in one of their later posts which has me thinking 2D game or 2D animation clip. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I'll curious to see what kinds of art you'll get for $60.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited November 2016
    Eamon said:

I'll curious to see what kinds of art you'll get for $60.

I would to, but just because someone is willing to work cheap doesn't mean they aren't highly skilled.  I know filmmakers doing incredible work on fan films that they can't make a dime  from, that would run a studio into  the thousands, and the end results look as good as anything you'd see on the Scifi channel.  Photographers are one of the groups that are always trying to scare people into paying exorbitant amounts of cash for services by saying, "you get what you pay for",  but in a world where technology and the methods of learning to master it are becoming available to anybody, the fact is you can sometimes get a high quality service for way less than it's actual value, because you have a lot of people now doing stuff because they love it, and not for the money, or they do it for fun, and have other sources of income.

I give the OP props for stating what he was willing to pay up front, and not BSing anyone, or for offering to pay at all.  It's up the the artist to take it or leave it.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
    edited November 2016

I agree too, as the Simpsons and South Park show top-flight realistic animations and images aren't needed to tell a good story (or often a bad one). Depending on what they want $60 per image might be reasonable, if you ignore the costs of aquiring the DAZ products to begin with, but then just about everyone that does DAZ & Poser do it as a hobby so it's really a matter of the hired hand having an interest in what the OP is doing, nothing more.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on