How can I not render off camera stuff the easy way?

I bought some pretty big assets that take forever to render and I was wondering if it's possible to not render what's out of the camera without having to deactivate item per item from the scene tab. Is there an add-on for such thing. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I bought some pretty big assets that take forever to render and I was wondering if it's possible to not render what's out of the camera without having to deactivate item per item from the scene tab. Is there an add-on for such thing. Thanks in advance!

Nope...no add-on and no easier way.  You can create your own load presets, though.  Load up the whole set, then break it down into logical pieces and create a group (Create > Group), give each group a name, then save each one as a Scene Subset.  That way you'll only need to the time consuming part once.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Some products may not separated easy,, then I often use geometry editor to make "selectioin set",  

then in geometry editor, I set them hidden temporaly. it work about render .

but when you load saved scene, the scene only memorize your selection group. (not memorize current hidden setting)

then you need manually hide selection set again in geometry editor.

• This sounds like a simple yet effective idea that never came to my mind. I'll try it soon. Thanks for your answer.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

If using Iray rendering engine I think you could use an Iray section plane to hide portions of the scene.

• FirePro9 said:

If using Iray rendering engine I think you could use an Iray section plane to hide portions of the scene.

Can you be more specific? Maybe point me to a tutorial?

Try, CREATE | New Iray Section Plan Node.  It works like a section plane in that one side everything is visible and the other side everything is hidden.  Once created, move it around to where you need.  Good luck.

Ah yes,, section plane sould be good for the purpose,, thanks Fire Pro 9, I did not play it  !

I do not test many but you can make section plane from Top menu Create,, I actually check section plane now by Japanese famous daz studio tutoriall page^^;

(then my ds suddenly shut down,, about same render ,, this is thrid time,, ,, maybe some shader not much well with beta?? ><;  )

• FirePro9 said:

Try, CREATE | New Iray Section Plan Node.  It works like a section plane in that one side everything is visible and the other side everything is hidden.  Once created, move it around to where you need.  Good luck.

I tried it, but I must be missing something because I was able to render only part of the image. What settings should I use with the plane? Other than that it works nicelly, render times improved a lot with it.

Here is an example of the potting shed with an Iray section plane at a 45 degree angle.

iray-section-example.PNG
    3391 x 1308 - 3M
  • FirePro9 said:

Here is an example of the potting shed with an Iray section plane at a 45 degree angle.

So basically I need to cover what I want to render with the plane?

edited November 2016

So basically I need to cover what I want to render with the plane?

Yup, everything on one side of the plane is visible and everything on the otherside is invisible. So if your Iray section plane is in the same plane as your camera, then everything in front of the camera is visible and everything behind the camera is invisible.

You can also use multiple planes to for example clip the sides off that are not in the camera's frame.

Note: section planes are infinite, even though the "outline" visible in the picture I posted seems to show it acting like a magic window or portal opening

Post edited by FirePro9 on
    edited November 2016

Then it depend on "section Plane normal "   To check it you can set tool setting (universal, rotation etc) as "local cordinate" , then green Y axis +  (minus)  direction ,from plane will be cut off  (not rendered),  and you can controll light to transmit or not tansmit,,by clipping "on" and "off" . set clipping "on" can not through light ray of the plane. which came from Y + side.

though I need more test,, when I hide light source geometry, but keep clipping off,, if only light ray of emission surface, can transmit or not,, (maybe work? I hope so)

I am now  test with "kotozone" daz 3d web documents,,, (I do not know, if I attach link, it cause problem or not,, then do  not, but you can google  with "kotozone" iray section plane.

And Is there way to easy vibile section plane with draw setting?  the bounding box only not make me easy adjust,, I feel,,,  (future request,,)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on

Then,, I have one question,, It actually reduce Memory for GPU render too ?  eg even though I load 10 FIgure in the scene,, then  I hide them by Selection plane,

Out of Camera,,  it may not circulate those geometry for GPU when render?   or it only work eg,, view port iray render?  indecision