PostgreSQL CMS Connection

I am getting this error message on startup and my regular content library is gone. I was never using smart content previously. I'm using a Mac.

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 6.05.11 PM.png
1600 x 900 - 422K

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Could you post a screenshot of the Content Library tab (on the right), opened?

And one of the Content Directory Manager?

What version of Studio are you running (full version  Help > About )?

What version of OSX?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,523

What mjc said about content library information.

One question, did you upgrade to DS 4.8 or 4.9 from an earlier version that was running the Valentina CMS ?

• I am running 4.9. I've been using the download manager for the past few years and have had every version since at least 4.7. I am not sure what Valentia CMS is. Also, where do I find the Content Directory Manager?

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 5.59.45 AM.png
    425 x 761 - 63K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 6.00.24 AM.png
    401 x 779 - 53K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 6.00.39 AM.png
    421 x 784 - 65K
  • I am also running running Mac version 10.12.1

• This won't be a content directory set-up issue, the failure is happenign before that. Did you install PostgreSQL? If you did, have you made any chnages to Daz Studio>Preferences>CMS Settings tab? Have you allowed DS and PostgreSQL tot alk to each other on the local machine (Totte can tell you how to check that)? It could also be a permissions issue (which again needs Totte).

• It's funny you mentioned a permissions issue. Right before this situation, I was having issues with the latest version of Final Cut Pro. The apple tech guy had me do something with the permissions on my computer. It was right after my session with him on the phone when I opened DAZ 3D and all of this began happening. I had a feeling this might be related. As far as downloading PostgreSQL, I've never even heard of it before this started happening, so I've never downloaded it. 

• Also, I have just went into Daz Studio>Preferences and I do not have a CMS Settings tab.

• PostgreSQL should be an option to isntall in Install Manager then.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

Hi, I just got this same error message. I haven't been using DAZ Studio for a week or so, but last time I used it DS was working just fine. Now todayI bought bunch of stuff from market place, and after I installed them with Install manager, and opened DS, that alert message popped up. My products are nowhere to be found, and as far as I know, I haven't made any changes to either my computer or DS. I should have PostgreSQL installed, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit and I use DS 4.9.

Capture.PNG
    542 x 893 - 46K
    Capture2.PNG
    545 x 37 - 3K
    Capture3.PNG
    514 x 141 - 9K

Well, I tried to restart my computer, but still same error when I open DS. I turned off my firewall and anti-virus, but still same error alert. In DS I tried that start CMS button, and after I clicked it few times, my old products came back, but none of my new purchases.

Install manager shows this:

And DS this ( I logged in so that I can see them ):

Any idea what could be the problem?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If DIM couldn't connect to CMS when you installed those items (as is apparent from the first screenshot, which doesn't have a checkmark under the database column for those products), then DS doesn't know that DIM installed them.  If you Re-Import metadata for those products that should fix it.

• Is there anyone that can help with the permissions issue?

edited November 2016

(1) Start DAZ Studio
    (2) Start Activity Monitor (found in /Applications/Utilities
    (3) Set it to show all Processes hierachical
    (4) Do you see any postress processes under DAZ Studio?

This is the first thing to do. And, if you have had firewall or other stuff running, reboot to reset stuff.

pgscreen.jpg
    1023 x 169 - 27K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited November 2016

Hmmm, I have made some progress. I did lots of stuff I found on the internet, including re-installing postgreSQL, changing it's port etc. Also I uninstalled all the new stuff from install manager that installed yesterday. I took a copy of my cms folder from roaming data, deleted original it and let DS build a new one on the next startup. Then I let DAZ fetch all the metadata again. None of my installed stuff was showing installed, so I deleted the new cms folder from roaming data, and copied back my old cms folder. Then I turned my virus protection and firewall off, and tried again, and now it seems to be working. Then I used install manager and installed all my new products, and now everything show up in DS. I have no idea if any of this had any effect, since I think the real reason is my virus protection.

I'm using windows firewall and I have F-Secure as my virus protection software. First I turned windows firewall back on, and DS was still working. Next I turned F-secure virusprotection back on, and everything was still working. Finally I turned F-secure DeepGuard on, and that's when DS starts showing error alert and smart content is not working anymore. When I turn DeepGuard off, DS works again. Problem with that is, that I get no questions from DeepGuard if I should allow some connection or not. Also only daz3dim.exe is on the monitored application list ( no mention of Daz Studio or PostgreSQL ), and daz3dim.exe has permission allowed status. Also there's no functionality ( at least in the interface ) to add programs manually to monitoring list and give them permissions. So any idea, what I should add to that list ( and any idea how to do that ) so I can use DeepGuard and Daz Studio?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I have nothing on my virus protection quarantine/blocked etc. list

EDIT2: And this is the error on dblog.txt when I have DeepGuard on:

LOG:  could not reserve shared memory region (addr=0000000002730000) for child 0000000000001440: error code 487
    LOG:  could not fork startup process: No such file or directory

And lots of errors like this in DS log.txt:

2016-17-12 11:17:17.012 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in CloudFIle::lookupFromDb: Unable to connect to the database

Post edited by Mendoman on
  • I have no arrows next to DAZ 3D and I do not see any postress.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.29.23 AM.png
    292 x 64 - 15K
  • lespaul1995lespaul1995 Posts: 17
    edited November 2016

This might be better

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.33.16 AM.png
    544 x 78 - 22K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.39.34 AM.png
    609 x 279 - 95K
    Post edited by lespaul1995 on

This might be better

Set it to show all Processes hierachical

• I did that, this is what I'm getting.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 2.18.01 PM.png
    598 x 312 - 70K

OK, this tells me that DS is not allowed to laucnh the Postgres server for some reason.

In the directory ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/cms, do you have things there? Is there a dblog.txt there?

~ means your home directory in /Users/<username>

• This is what's in there.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 5.20.52 PM.png
    796 x 450 - 73K

OK, is postgres even installed?

• Yes it is!

What does the cmscfg.json say? (Open with textedtit, copy the info and paste here)

• {
        "PgBin": "/Users/scottchristensen/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS/bin"
    }

Then look at that directory, what privilegies does it have?

• This is everything in thsat folder.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.58.07 AM.png
    659 x 373 - 41K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.58.41 AM.png
    606 x 353 - 37K
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 3.58.55 AM.png
    589 x 218 - 17K

Isn't there any dblog.txt there? If not, it never started.
    In that case you need to check the privilegies of that folder. You might solve it by running disk utility - Repair Permissions, otherwise Finder->Get Info. You (the user should have Read/Write Persmissions to it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I uninstalled the parts for smart content (the database components). You'll still get the popup when you start Studio, but I just ignore it.

I don't use it and have no intention of using it - and have no issues; just something to consider if you are still having problems.

• Totte said:

Isn't there any dblog.txt there? If not, it never started.
    In that case you need to check the privilegies of that folder. You might solve it by running disk utility - Repair Permissions, otherwise Finder->Get Info. You (the user should have Read/Write Persmissions to it.

I've done the disk utility thing. I didn't see a Repair Permissions in that. As far as the Get Info, that's where the permissions are set.

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 2.10.08 PM.png
    256 x 770 - 85K
  • nicstt said:

I uninstalled the parts for smart content (the database components). You'll still get the popup when you start Studio, but I just ignore it.

I don't use it and have no intention of using it - and have no issues; just something to consider if you are still having problems.

How do you uninstall the database componets?