IRAY Rain [Commercial]

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,235
    edited November 2016

Congratulations!!  It's a fantastic set, and I'm glad people like it!

I'm crazy for anything to do with water and water effects, so today I did a render with this for deviantart and here.  The rain piece adds very little render time, especially compared to the transmissive geometry of the pool from Platea and my ripple prop.

Oh wow, those ripples really work great alongside the rain! It is super quick, and adds barely anything to overall render time, which i found quite surprising to be fair. Nifty shadows (or caustics?) on the bottom right too.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Thanks, that's from my own new set in the store today. :D

• I was excited to see this in the store this morning!  Hopped right into the cart.  I have big plans for it this tomorrow as I actually have a Saturday free from driving the boys around so I can stay home and play.  :)

Yep, i spotted it! I've got some heavy competition today. ;)

I was excited to see this in the store this morning!  Hopped right into the cart.  I have big plans for it this tomorrow as I actually have a Saturday free from driving the boys around so I can stay home and play.  :)

Awesome, Thanks for the support KM! You kick your feet up and enjoy a day off. :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

I was excited to see this in the store this morning!  Hopped right into the cart.  I have big plans for it this tomorrow as I actually have a Saturday free from driving the boys around so I can stay home and play.  :)

Awesome, Thanks for the support KM! You kick your feet up and enjoy a day off. :)

It's not a competition if everybody buys them both. ;)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

This dripped into my cart straight away.  Along with some nice shadows :)

SimonJM said:

Thanks for the support JM, its always appreciated buddy!

• NathNath Posts: 2,719
    SimonJM said:

Yeah, I found that somehow that happened to me as well... blush

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,200
    edited November 2016

How does this product differ from Iray Envirocam? They seem similar to me.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Envirocam is a great product, and i have a lot of respect for Rawn. These sets simply use different approaches and have different abilities. Rawn uses a series of fixed planes parented to the camera in order to achieve his effects. My set is a grid based system independent of the camera, that covers another axis in process. This means you can pan and shift the camera freely without worrying about odd results. For instance, if you look at the render sickle attached above, that effect would be very difficult with single axis coverage, given the cameras perspective. My method also acts as a big net to capture environmental reflections, and will produce different results to Envirocam, especially at higher intensities. Finally, this method is also more animation friendly, given the tiling textures and static grid.

If you own envirocam and are completely happy with it, then by all means pass this up for another day. It also doesn't hurt to check out both before purchasing. My method is simply a different approach with different abilities outlined above.  

barbult said:

Envirocam is a great product, and i have a lot of respect for Rawn. These sets simply use different approaches and have different abilities. Rawn uses a series of fixed planes parented to the camera in order to achieve his effects. My set is a grid based system independent of the camera, that covers another axis in process. This means you can pan and shift the camera freely without worrying about odd results. For instance, if you look at the render sickle attached above, that effect would be very difficult with single axis coverage, given the cameras perspective. My method also acts as a big net to capture environmental reflections, and will produce different results to Envirocam, especially at higher intensities. Finally, this method is also more animation friendly, given the tiling textures and static grid.

If you own envirocam and are completely happy with it, then by all means pass this up for another day. It also doesn't hurt to check out both before purchasing. My method is simply a different approach with different abilities outlined above.  

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain.

No problem barbult, it was a very valid question, thank you very much for asking.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2016

It's not a competition if everybody buys them both. ;)

@Sickleyield  Love your products and, if I hadn't already been experimenting on how to do this myself, it would have been an instant buy for me.  Since I have most of your other products, perhaps you'll forgive me this one lapse.  ;)  I'm sure I'll make up for it on the next release.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited November 2016

Just wanted to thank you for an excellent product. Very easy to set up and modify. Looking forward to more weather stuff.

Here is a WIP I am messing with right now.

Ciao

TD

Trapped in the rain 3.png
    1711 x 1197 - 4M
    edited November 2016
    thd777 said:

Just wanted to thank you for an excellent product. Very easy to set up and modify. Looking forward to more weather stuff.

Here is a WIP I am messing with right now.

Ciao

TD

Great work THD! I was really hoping to see some sci fi/cyberpunk renders, especially urban night scenes with lots of emissives. More weather is on the way!

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Purchased this yesterday, fantastic product,,,,, and you don't need a Degree from Harvard to use it.

Thank you.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723

Sorry if this been asked before but how does it handle umbrellas? 

bicc39 said:

Purchased this yesterday, fantastic product,,,,, and you don't need a Degree from Harvard to use it.

Thank you.

Thanks bicc! I tried to make it more complicated and modifiable, but at a certain point i was just making matters worse. Nice and simple seems to be working for folks :)

Sorry if this been asked before but how does it handle umbrellas? 

The rain is set out as a grid, almost like walls of rain on both axis. The grid spaces are big enough that you can fit a character (and umbrella) without having rain clip through. If your character is clipping through one of the rain sheets, you can simply shift the grid until your character is sat in an empty space. This will only matter if the camera is quite close however, at distance you wont be able to tell.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Wow, that's beautiful, SickleYield!

• unknownmystery445unknownmystery445 Posts: 414
    edited November 2016

Hi kindred, I know this is out of topic but I hope you also make something that can make any clothes become dynamic. VWD is just not that interested to Daz and also optitex is so limited. A lot of people are already wanting to have this. :)

Post edited by unknownmystery445 on

Hi kindred, I know this is out of topic but I hope you also make something that can make any clothes become dynamic. VWD is just not that interested to Daz and also optitex is so limited. A lot of people are already wanting to have this. :)

I get your frustrations, i really do, but you're knocking on the wrong door here bud. I'm a pretty good modeller, but a really crumby programmer, and my language base is really limited. I think the front end is C#/C++ which i can just about cope with, but the scripts appear to be mainly python which i have no experience with. Even if i did, it alarms me that there is such huge demand, but no-one seems to be able to get a decent product to market. Even programmers who are far, far superior to me have fallen short.

There was a guy on the forum who was working on an interactive dynamic suite using unity as a front end, and that looked really promising, but i've not heard anything in a while now. I've used the VWD daz bridge which was a fair effort, but the work flow is so cumbersome for such hit and miss results. I really wish i could help, because its something i'd like to see too, but it's just way beyond my abilities. Hopefully daz have something up their sleeve for the near future.

• bought it! Really great set!

edited November 2016

This is my first attempt.

SF-Design said:

bought it! Really great set!

Thanks SF! Glad you're enjoying it :)

barbult said:

Awesome work Barbult, it's great to see it in use! The composition and neutral lighting really sells the scene. I know it's probably a test render, but i think a touch more gloss to the floor wouldn't go amiss. It looks like there is gloss there though .... perhaps the diffuse is too light? Maybe im just rambling :/

SF-Design said:

bought it! Really great set!

Thanks SF! Glad you're enjoying it :)

barbult said:

Awesome work Barbult, it's great to see it in use! The composition and neutral lighting really sells the scene. I know it's probably a test render, but i think a touch more gloss to the floor wouldn't go amiss. It looks like there is gloss there though .... perhaps the diffuse is too light? Maybe im just rambling :/

The light is a cloudy day HDRI. Even the latex jacket doesn't show much gloss. I think it is just the really dull lighting of an overcast day. I did use the puddle, but the ground is curved, which gave me some issues with the puddle.

edited November 2016

Here is another rain render, this time inside Cafe Luca looking out. Again, the outdoor lighting is a different overcast day HDRI. I used two rain systems to cover the corner of the building on both sides. I used a shader on the sofas and pillows. I had a problem with the UV maps, espceially the pillows. I couldn't get the shader pattern to look right. Take a look at the UV for the pillows. I can't make any sense out of it.

Cafe Luca ALR lights Rain.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    pillow UV.PNG
    1198 x 1173 - 371K
    barbult said:

Here is another render in Cafe Luca. Again, the outdoor lighting is a different overcast day HDRI. I used two rain systems to cover the corner of the building on both sides. I used a shader on the sofas and pillows. I had a problem with the UV maps, espceially the pillows. I couldn't get the shader pattern to look right. Take a look at the UV for the pillows. I can't make any sense out of it.

Oh that's miles better, it even looks like there's droplets on the glass. I should have really done a similar render for the store, since it would be a nightmare to post-work the rain into this type of scenario. I will keep it in mind for future weather sets. smiley

edited November 2016
    barbult said:

Here is another rain render, this time inside Cafe Luca looking out. Again, the outdoor lighting is a different overcast day HDRI. I used two rain systems to cover the corner of the building on both sides. I used a shader on the sofas and pillows. I had a problem with the UV maps, espceially the pillows. I couldn't get the shader pattern to look right. Take a look at the UV for the pillows. I can't make any sense out of it.

Sorry i just noticed the pillow thing, must have been a stealth edit. I haven't got the source files anymore so i used the objs with the set. My uvs are looking like the ones posted below. They are mirrored obviously, but they don't look like what you have. Are they the uvs for the entire sofa you have there? In any case, the uv's are overlapping on quite a few of the props, but i'm not sure why that would cause issues with applying a tiling shader. It's tiling textures i'm using anyway, no funky shading trickery.

LUCAUVS.jpg
    500 x 500 - 486K
    Post edited by KindredArts on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

For the pillows, you could always use a projection Iray decal. Using a spherical or box projection might do well enough.
    Or use a procedural shader (either my freepack, or Mec4D has some nice procedural fabric shaders in her PBS v 2)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723

If Uber works with my PayPal, I might be able to get this next week or tomorrow.