Jerky Movement with Certain Outfits

Army Uniform G2f G3f
17 Chic G1
Teen Swag G1

Those are the worst ones. When I put them on a character, posing, rotation and movement become slow and jerky. I found a setting once for 17 Chic that that made the problem go away, but I'm can't find it again! I thought upgrading from my 3.4g i3, 16g RAM, Nvidia960 computer would solve the problem, but it only made it not-as-bad.

Anybody know what settings I should play with to make these products easier to work with?

i7 4.8ghz, 64gig DDR4 3200 RAM, Nvidia 980ti

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Is this in the regular Viewport or in Aux Viewport in Iray mode?  Does turning off mesh smoothing help?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Does turning off mesh smoothing help?

Or just lowering it?

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2016

Is this in the regular Viewport or in Aux Viewport in Iray mode?  Does turning off mesh smoothing help?

That was it! Thanks, Richard Mike. Mesh smoothing for all clothing items was set at 2, what effect will turning it off have on my final render? (It was the regular viewport)

I'm so used to Richard knowing everything...

Post edited by Petercat on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Petercat said:

That was it! Thanks, Richard. Mesh smoothing for all clothing items was set at 2, what effect will turning it off have on my final render? (It was the regular viewport)

One of these days I'll ask a question that you can't answer. One of these days...

No Richard, this time of night you have to settle for mere mortals.  Once you've got everything posed you can turn it back on before rendering.

Petercat said:

That was it! Thanks, Richard. Mesh smoothing for all clothing items was set at 2, what effect will turning it off have on my final render? (It was the regular viewport)

One of these days I'll ask a question that you can't answer. One of these days...

No Richard, this time of night you have to settle for mere mortals.  Once you've got everything posed you can turn it back on before rendering.

Sorry about that. It was a knee-jerk reaction!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,230

There is a big lag in viewport performance if Interactive Update is set to ON (on the Parameters pane under Mesh Smoothing). I've found several clothing products that are installed that way. Just turn Interactive Update OFF, and you can keep your other smoothing settings the way they were.

barbult said:

There is a big lag in viewport performance if Interactive Update is set to ON (on the Parameters pane under Mesh Smoothing). I've found several clothing products that are installed that way. Just turn Interactive Update OFF, and you can keep your other smoothing settings the way they were.

Thanks, Barbult. I'll try that. (At least I got your name right!)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,696

Wow - I bet this was getting in my way when I was trying to record some puppeteering/aniblocking once and it was unuseable! Never figured that one out.

Thanks for that info, all!

--ms