Importing blunders

Does anyone know how to prevent surfaces from "kalidascoping" when importing models into DAZ. I import a lot of vehicle models into DAZ from the 3D web site sketch up. When ever change the paint to simulate custom finishes, air brushing, or graphics the image kalidascopes all over itself. I know it can be done cuz I've seen it done before. When ever I try to import those models I don't have a problem changing the images but I can't figure out how it's done in the first place. I've tried the smoothing feature in sketch up with a sketch up model but it doesn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Can you post an image of what you are seeing...I suspect the problem is lack of proper UV unwrapping.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,605
    mjc1016 said:

Can you post an image of what you are seeing...I suspect the problem is lack of proper UV unwrapping.

Agreed. If the model is not UVmapped, then any image you apply to it will be all out of shape. Sketchup models are more trouble than they are worth when trying to get them to work correctly in DS, especially detailed ones.

mjc1016 said:

Agreed. If the model is not UVmapped, then any image you apply to it will be all out of shape. Sketchup models are more trouble than they are worth when trying to get them to work correctly in DS, especially detailed ones.

Many will work fine with solid color paint jobs...but anything else, you may as well grab some good reference images, a modelling program and start laying out polys...you will spend more time fixing the problems converting them to something usable in Studio than it takes to build from scratch...and that leaves out accuracy/scaling issues. 

There are a few SU models that are worth playing with (at least vehicles)...either they have few problems or are not done anywhere else...more with other items, but over all it's way more work than it's worth.

You can always grab a free copy of UVMapper classic or a trial of any other modeling app and do some quick mapping if needed. I use ultimate unwrap 3D pro for most mapping. I d'l this off the net and it had no UV mapping at all, but I mapped the doors to take the logos, the rest are IRAY shaders

matador70s.jpg
    1544 x 870 - 946K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,629
    edited October 2016

...nice, and familiar to me as both the police dept in Milwaukee WI and Wisconsin State Patrol used to use Matadors for their patrol/pursuit cars. They also used Harley Electra Glides for their motorcycle units. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

OMGosh, my first car was a Matador! That huge hood- I told my dad that I didn't drive it, I AIMED it. 

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Sketchup doesn't produce UV maps on its models that Daz Studio can read and the geometry is highly reliant on booleans which Daz Studio can't handle.

• mmsj666mmsj666 Posts: 29
    OK. Well I think I get it for the most part. Some of the terminology I can use in a sentence but have no idea how some things work and others-what they look like lemme see if I can find an example for you guys. And what is up mapping and where to find it and how does it work and cab I cut and paste it mapping from something else that already has it?
    Passing! That cop car looks real. How do I do something like that? OK found an older pic. I'm gonna try and attach it right now.
    download.jpg
    120 x 75 - 7K
    You can hardly see it. But you guys know what I'm talking about right?
    So what are polys and booleans?
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,923

You can UV map and unwrap models for free in Blender:

https://www.blender.org/manual/editors/uv_image/uv_editing/index.html

May be this tutorial will help you:

Create a Low Poly Camaro in Blender: Part 2
    https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-low-poly-camaro-in-blender-part-2--cms-21749

and another one:

Modeling Lowpoly 3D Car - UV Unwrapping - Blender + Gimp - Part 2

Thanks. I think I even have blender and gonna somewhere on my lap top.i tried the ginmp a few times but stopped using it cuz I couldn't get a an image to on the screen. I ended up using Pixlr but it took me along time to figure it out.thanks again. Will be checking out these links
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    mmsj666 said:
    Does anyone know how to prevent surfaces from "kalidascoping" when importing models into DAZ. I import a lot of vehicle models into DAZ from the 3D web site sketch up. When ever change the paint to simulate custom finishes, air brushing, or graphics the image kalidascopes all over itself. I know it can be done cuz I've seen it done before. When ever I try to import those models I don't have a problem changing the images but I can't figure out how it's done in the first place. I've tried the smoothing feature in sketch up with a sketch up model but it doesn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yeah, you need to UV the model... There is a free plugin for SketchUp call ThruPaint and another one called SketchUV... They will allow you to projection map a model in SketchUp. I'd explain more but almost every time I've explained anything SketchUp related it instantly gets sidetracked by another post and the OP gets more interested in that and I end up having wasted time explaining something nobody cares about.

Basically, what it all boils down to is that SketchUp content (not the program itself or all the content) is not really modelled to be used OUTSIDE of SU.  Most people creating content in SU either don't know HOW to make things that would be easily used in another platform or (some of them) don't care to (it is more work...).  One of the items that makes a model more universal is UV mapping it...

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

The biggest problem when using models from 3D Warehouse, as noted above is that most people don't care or know about "clean modeling"... That and many of the better looking models are a messed up copy of someone else's model which that person butchered with their "customization"... This is especially true with vehicles. Sometimes tracking down the original model will show a vast difference between the two... But regardless, the biggest problems with most lazy SketchUp models is use of Ngons and flipped normals... Within the professional SketchUp user community it is often repeated over and over to avoid these mistakes...  But since it is such an easy program to learn, most people don't care to learn the right way to model, instead opting to just run with it and only address problems after their bad modeling habits are ingrained.

Most people are not aware of much beyond the base program, but there are hundreds of plugins that are available that make SketchUp a fairly complete modeling program... Sadly most people never look much into it.

McGyver said:

The biggest problem when using models from 3D Warehouse, as noted above is that most people don't care or know about "clean modeling"... That and many of the better looking models are a messed up copy of someone else's model which that person butchered with their "customization"... This is especially true with vehicles. Sometimes tracking down the original model will show a vast difference between the two... But regardless, the biggest problems with most lazy SketchUp models is use of Ngons and flipped normals... Within the professional SketchUp user community it is often repeated over and over to avoid these mistakes...  But since it is such an easy program to learn, most people don't care to learn the right way to model, instead opting to just run with it and only address problems after their bad modeling habits are ingrained.

Most people are not aware of much beyond the base program, but there are hundreds of plugins that are available that make SketchUp a fairly complete modeling program... Sadly most people never look much into it.

I've found  lot of very good furnituyre models through SU. 

McGyver said:

Couldn't agree more, but like mjc1016 pointed out, there are some good models to be had, especially if you know your way around modeling and can fix or salvage them. I just found a great file with several Halloween pumpkins on it that are well modeled and have good textures. I seperated them and made some quick normal maps and they work great. here is an example of one of them.

pumkin.jpg
    1037 x 777 - 737K
    edited October 2016

Most of this was just converted then imported.  The sofa is the only thing I set up Studio (3DL) materials for (yeah, I threw an Iray mirror preset on the mirror...it looked stupid without it).

furniture.png
    640 x 500 - 220K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on