Carrara can't seem to load M4 properly (resolved)

gerwyngerwyn Posts: 0
edited November 2012 in Carrara Discussion

I've tried just about everything. Where on earth am I supposed to install m4 to get it to work on Carrara 8 pro? I'm using the version that's supposed to be for carrara 8 and it has no idea where to put it.

Post edited by gerwyn on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

gerwyn said:
    I've tried just about everything. Where on earth am I supposed to install m4 to get it to work on Carrara 8 pro? I'm using the version that's supposed to be for carrara 8 and it has no idea where to put it.

A bit more information would be helpful, such as:

What version of C8 are you using? There's a production build and a beta build (C8.5).

What is your computer platform and what OS are you using?

What were the installers that you used and did you allow them to install to their default locations?

There are some other factors that could be an issue as well, but we can start with the ones listed above.

• gerwyngerwyn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

gerwyn said:

A bit more information would be helpful, such as:

What version of C8 are you using? There's a production build and a beta build (C8.5).

What is your computer platform and what OS are you using?

What were the installers that you used and did you allow them to install to their default locations?

There are some other factors that could be an issue as well, but we can start with the ones listed above.

Tp answer your questions: I'm using the production build of C8 pro. I'm working from a windows 7 64 bit edition. And lastly I used the M4 base for windows that came with Carrara 8 pro and I tried just about every location I could think of.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It's been awhile since I had to install it, but I believe there may have been a step to "initialize" the figure after the installation, if so, did you do that? I could be wrong about that though.

The other thing I was wondering is if you installed the figure to the default directory? I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure where that would be on a Windows machine.

Does the figure show up in your Content Browser? If it does, try either dragging the icon for the figure and dropping it in your scene window, or double click the figure icon to load it into your scene.

If you've installed the figure to someplace other than the standard install location, you can load the Runtime where it is installed manually via the Carrara Browser. With the content tab selected look for a black icon on the far right of the Browser and select it. It will open a pull-down menu with several options, including the options to have Carrara look for runtimes or to add your own manually.

I haven't include screen caps of the installer, but I have of the browser and such.

Picture_5.png
    247 x 985 - 68K
    Picture_4.png
    532 x 509 - 57K
    Picture_3.png
    876 x 249 - 145K
    Picture_2.png
    266 x 390 - 27K
    Picture_1.png
    992 x 163 - 24K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

M4 is a figure which is built for use in Poser, or Daz Studio,. and , since Daz studio is free right now, (if you want to) you can download that, and install M4 into there.

If you don't have Poser,. or Daz Studio installed,,. you should still be able to browse, and install M4 base into another folder. (see pic) and then you'll need to Add that location to Carrara's browser.

It's recommended that you install any "content" files to somewhere like,.. My Documents / My 3D Library /

Daz Studio,. and Poser both create a set of folders, which can be viewed in Carrara's browser,. (Content / Runtime) folders.

You can Add a "Runtime" to Carrara's browser, (see pic) and it will display a set of categories, ..Figures / Poses/ Props / etc..

From the browser in Carrara, you can load M4, into a scene, by double clicking the thumbnail image in the Figures / Daz People / folder.
    you can then add clothing, and hair to that figure.

Hope that makes sense :)

Add_runtime_content.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 310K
    installm43.jpg
    813 x 384 - 67K
  • Moss_35089Moss_35089 Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Hi

to add a bit to what Andy has said and maybe to confuse you more a method I use and its an old method but still works for me is :

1. create a folder in a location of your choice (whatever hard drive\my documents\whatever)
    2. call the folder what you please, but i keep separate folders for M4, V4 etc.
    3. eg. C:\Users\Myname\MYDocsFOLDER\Poser5 Runtimes\Michael 4.0 (M4)
    4. open notebook, save the file as poser
    5. rename that from poser.txt to poser.exe
    6. cut and paste that file into eg. C:\Users\Myname\MYDocsFOLDER\Poser5 Runtimes\Michael 4.0 (M4)
    7. do the Daz install dance and when prompted where to install to point the installer to eg. C:\Users\Myname\MYDocsFOLDER\Poser5 Runtimes\Michael 4.0 (M4)
    8. open carrara, start a new file
    9. in the right hand side once you've clicked the content tab, click the folder icon
    10. click add runtime and go to where ever you created the above folder
    11. follow the steps
    12. done
    Anything that I have that pertains to M4 I install to this folder, anything that is for V4 I'll innstall to a similar folder created for her jumk, etc.

I don't use DazStudio so I only install the poser compatable files, I think they end in .dpc, I don't shop here anymore so I don't know what the latest greatest flavor is.

hope this helps

M

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited November 2012

You don't need to bother with the fake poser.exe, just select DAZ Studio as the target application in the M4 installer and it will happily install wherever you like, the files are exactly the same regardless of that choice.

Edited to add that this is how it used to be, they may have changed the installer since way back when...

Post edited by araneldon on
  • gerwyngerwyn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I just had to add the runtime, and now it works.