Visibility "Maps" for clothing etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to make parts of clothing and accessories invisible -- like the Ultra Bodysuit, which can be many configurations (from full body to shorts) depending on the "visibility mask" chosen.  If it even is a mask..?

Is this something in the opacity chanel?  Or is it some kind of surface selection thing?  I can't seem to find any tutorials or refernce material on this.

TIA

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It depends, because both turning off parts (the lttle eye icon next to the item/node in the Scene tab) or Opacity maps, with white being opaque/visible and black being transparent. It's called simply Opacity in 3Delight and Cutout Opacity in Iray.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I'm not sure which method that product uses, however if you want to create an invisibily mask (aka transparency map, opacity map) you can do it.  If you are using DAZ Studio, in the Surfaces pane, click the icon in front of the opacity parameter and browse to your image.  Anything black in the image is invisible, anything white is solid, grey levels inbetween are varying levels of transparency.  You can use a texture template as a guide, or just just paint over the top of a copy of your image. And of course if you want the entire material zone to be invisible, you don't need the map, just set the opacity to 0%.  You can also create a new surface to get just part of it.

• Thanks for the replies!  I just want to make sure I'm getting this right -- I can use a texture map, or hide faces on the object.  How do I save this?  As a Material preset?  If I'm understanding you, I apply my clothing,modify the clothing with Opacity maps or invisible faces (or both, I presume), then save the itemn as a material preset?  I just want to get all the steps right.

TIA

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

A materials preset should work fine.

• Thanks!