Furify Question

JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay. I've modified a garment model by adding a couple of matt zones so I can turn part of it off. The result looks rather like a collar, and I thought that a fur collar might look rather spiffy. However, the "collar" is, in fact, the inside of the garment, so the fur is on the underside rather than the top.

It's only one layer of "fabric", and with anything else any applied surface shows on both sides. But not with the fur shaders. Is there any way that this can be adjusted so the fur shows up on the outside? Just making the displace setting negative doesn't do it.

Comments

• edited December 1969

Can you try reversing the normals on that material zone? If you have Hex you can do it there; I'm not sure if you can do it inside of Studio.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited December 1969

Not sure I want to do that. I won't always want that garment to have a fur collar.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Try reversing the positive and negative settings on (I am guessing) displacement.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited November 2012

Khory said:
    Try reversing the positive and negative settings on (I am guessing) displacement.

That could work...if I understand correctly the fur is going inwards instead of out.

Just change the displacement settings to negative and that should be a start then look at whether you need to increase the depth of the displacement.

Edited to add you may need to change the directional settings also...not sure and my computer is currently being fixed so can't check. I'm not sure if Marieh renamed the point brick it could be listed as direction or point.

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Well, I did change the displacement setting to negative and it didn't do anything relevant (the matt zone was suddenly in wireframe when rendered with the fur still going down instead of up). I'll check and see if there are any other settings that I can reverse.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Well, I did change the displacement setting to negative and it didn't do anything relevant (the matt zone was suddenly in wireframe when rendered with the fur still going down instead of up). I'll check and see if there are any other settings that I can reverse.

Can you post an image? Unfortunately I won't get my computer back until the end of the week...if I can see what is happening I might be able to suggest something more useful.

One question is the area you are using where the modeller has turned the mesh under to add depth to the garment? That the only reason I can think for it going inwards like you have described.

edited December 1969

It isn't going inwards. Where the fur is is the outside of the garment. But that part of the garment folds over, so in that area I want the fur on the inside.

I'll do a render, give me a few minutes...

edited November 2012

Okay. I see that the problem is a bit more complex than I'd anticipated. I'm probably not going to be able to give the garment a fur collar at all. I'm probably going to have to get rid of the whole collar area and make a new matt zone and give it a fur edge.

For that matter, I'm going to have to do that for the whole garment anyway. There is an "edge" matt zone, which wraps around the edges of the garment, and when that is given a fur shader, the fur pokes through from the inside. Doing an adjoining zone on the outside of the garment will probably take care of that, but there doesn't seem to be any way to give it a collar that will take the shader properly. Brocade collar, sure. Leather collar, sure. But not fur.

The first of these is with the shader simply applied to the area. The second is the shader applied with the displacement made negative. I can't show the weird little grid that appears in the render because it needs to be too high resolution to be able to see it as anything more than an odd set of floating pixels.

Furrify-2.jpg
    800 x 523 - 131K
    Furrify-1.jpg
    600 x 427 - 76K
    Post edited by JOdel on