Translucency Issues with Nature-Grotto Water

I'm unable to get the water clear enough to see things underneath. It is likely a lighting issue on my end, bu not having any opacity settings, I'm out of options. I've fiddled with settings and light placement for over four hours with no luck (actually making things worse). While editing, things look fine, but rendering has the surface blocking the view of things below. I'm trying to get the transparancy shown in the store product pictures, which didn't happen when I opened the scene.

Does anybody using Nature-Grotto have any suggestion? I've adjusted a couple other water scenes OK, but this one won't behave itself.

Comments

• What angle are you viewing the water at? Are you using one of the supplied presets?

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited October 2016

Are you using Iray? I just asked a question in the studio forum about water transparency. Check it out and see if any of their suggestions work. It is not about Nature-grotto but a more general discussion of water in iray

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/120996/iray-question-transparency

Post edited by swordvisions on
  • waltn3mtjwaltn3mtj Posts: 112

What angle are you viewing the water at? Are you using one of the supplied presets?

I didn't change anything about the water initially. I guess I'm viewing it at 30-45 degrees normally. One of the things I tried was to change light angles, lighting under the water, and nothing really helped. I try to not have light reflecting as glare, I keep it either behind or on top where nature wouldn't normally create glare. I"m definitely open to suggestions.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2016
    waltn3mtj said:

I'm unable to get the water clear enough to see things underneath. It is likely a lighting issue on my end, bu not having any opacity settings, I'm out of options. I've fiddled with settings and light placement for over four hours with no luck (actually making things worse). While editing, things look fine, but rendering has the surface blocking the view of things below. I'm trying to get the transparancy shown in the store product pictures, which didn't happen when I opened the scene.

Does anybody using Nature-Grotto have any suggestion? I've adjusted a couple other water scenes OK, but this one won't behave itself.

Nature - Grotto is on my wishlist, so I was interested in your experience with it. I opened the product page and looked at all the promos. I didn't see any transparency in the water in any of the images. What I did see was a highly reflective surface and reflections of the set and vegetation on the surface of the water. The first thing I'd do is look for any parameters that would cause the reflectivity, including Metallicity, (which I've seen used to make water more reflective on at least one product, though I couldn't tell you which one...) If you can reduce/eliminate the relections, you "should" be able to see what is below the surface of the water...

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • waltn3mtjwaltn3mtj Posts: 112
    L'Adair said:
    waltn3mtj said:

Nature - Grotto is on my wishlist, so I was interested in your experience with it. I opened the product page and looked at all the promos. I didn't see any transparency in the water in any of the images. What I did see was a highly reflective surface and reflections of the set and vegetation on the surface of the water. The first thing I'd do is look for any parameters that would cause the reflectivity, including Metallicity, (which I've seen used to make water more reflective on at least one product, though I couldn't tell you which one...) If you can reduce/eliminate the relections, you "should" be able to see what is below the surface of the water...

Hope this quote comes out right on the phone. If you look carefully at the rocks, you can tell you can see below the surface in addition to the reflection. I looked at this several times before noticing, myself. I'm still trying to get the water more clear while whatever is under water is obviously under water, but without the cloudiness of depth