Iray users - characters?

I've only used Iray for a few test renders. From what I can gather, iRay is mostly something you need specific iRay content for. In terms of characters - again from what I can gather - that means mostly G3F stuff, and some stuff released for older figures, like G2F, G2M, etc. [paragraph break was here] I guess what I'm getting around to here is, iRay seems to be much more limited in character selection than 3Delight. In my experience, a lot of older characters for V4, etc., work well in 3Delight with minor tweaking (including with G3, if you get the legacy UV sets). I get the impression that this is not the case for iRay. [paragraph break was here] Am I correct? And if so, what do you do to compensate, if anything? Do you convert non-iRay stuff (and if so, how much is involved in that)? Do you just view the narrower content field as a cost of doing business with iRay? [paragraph break was here] Or do I have all of this wrong, and there's some source you're tapping that I don't know about? [paragraph break was here] Just curious. I'm not trying to start a renderer war, by any means. On the contrary, I'm curious about iRay, and want to make the switch eventually, after an upgrade.

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

There are a lot of misconceptions in your post. Fundamentally, you don't need "Iray characters" or anything else to render in Iray, though having your scene optimized for Iray will give you better results. D|S will convert what it can so that the scene will render. (That said, one major type of scene component, light sets intended for the 3Delight renderer, will not perform well, and need to be manually exchanged.)

If you start a scene from scratch, importing standard characters like G2F or G3F will include skin shaders intended for 3DL. When rendered, D|S will convert these shaders to Iray. If you want better results, convert the skin shaders to Iray-compatible ones. You can do it manually, or there are plenty of ready-made products in the Daz store that will help you.

• Iray materials can be applied to anything. The main issue with older (and not so older) content is that displacement requires actual vertices, which can require insane levels of sub-division for products built for the 3Delight/Firefly sub-polygon displacement model in which the actual mesh resolution didn't matter. Iray is, however, largely a phto-real engine - if you want toony looks, or to break the rules of physics (non-inverse square falloff of lights, easy suppression of shadows) it is not ideal or in some cases even practical; on the other hand it is excellent for things like glass and metal that are hard in 3Delight.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    Converts to iRay, eh? Us 3Delight peasants sure got the short end of that stick, then. Because iRay presets look ghastly in 3DL. Characters, anyway.
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You are in no different situation than Studio users where when everything came with Poser specific material presets and we had to learn to convert for our render engine or shader of choice.

JQP said:
    Converts to iRay, eh? Us 3Delight peasants sure got the short end of that stick, then. Because iRay presets look ghastly in 3DL. Characters, anyway.

Given that maybe 98% of Daz's content is for 3Delight, I don't think there's much of a shortage. While some new product is provided only as Iray, much of it is specifically designed to take advantage of that renderer. For example, there are numerous new metal shaders for Iray that wouldn't even begin to look good in 3DL, simply because 3DL is a different kind of render, and lacks similar features to make it happen. There are have been metal (and goop and subsurface, skin, plastic, etc., etc., etc.) shaders for 3DL since time began.

There are 3DL-centric shaders for all of the Daz characters; in fact, by default these characters load with 3DL shaders, so I'm not sure what your point is. The fact that a new character texture is Iray-specific doesn't cancel out the many other 3DL texture sets for that same character.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510

My point was that iRay shaders look ghastly in 3DL. Assuming everything doesn't have to be some big point, I'm not sure what your point is.

My point would be your original post had nothing to do with how Iray shaders look when rendered in 3DL. You specifically asked about the reverse process, and I gave you that information.

To repeat: Daz characters already have 3DL shaders, so no conversion is necessary to begin with. There's a conversion from 3DL to Iray because that's where it's needed. There are lots of old products that are 3DL-only.  Perhaps someone will create an Iray to 3DL converter, but you can't expect the quality to look as good as Iray. If it could do that, there'd be no point in Iray.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi there,

Tobor said:
    To repeat: Daz characters already have 3DL shaders, so no conversion is necessary to begin with. There's a conversion from 3DL to Iray because that's where it's needed. There are lots of old products that are 3DL-only.  Perhaps someone will create an Iray to 3DL converter, but you can't expect the quality to look as good as Iray. If it could do that, there'd be no point in Iray.

I completely agree. Even the "new" generation still has its own 3DL material settings.

For all older stuff the conversion to iRay is quite easy:
    Simply apply the iRay Uber Shader. In most cases you have to re-adjust the glossy settings and really push up the bump.

If you want to improve the look, there are a lot of suggestions round here in the forum.