Principles of Iray lighting - help rquested

MaloneXIMaloneXI Posts: 145
edited October 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

This discussion was created from comments split from: What causes these marks?.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• MaloneXIMaloneXI Posts: 145

Hi all, 

Is there a way to be "breifed" about how to parameter lights inside the scene ? I'm not comfortable with that for now , I'm rendering with Iray. I have to increase the light to 20000% to obtain a decent light... 

• Split as the thread it was initially in was on 3Delight lighting.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

It's a learning experience, mostly. But you also might have to change the render settings. Please check out this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110771/natural-iray-lighning-for-rooms#latest

There are some examples, in especially about using tone mapping. Keep in mind that the default tone mapping settings for DAZ Studio are set up for bright midday sunlight. All the lights behave like "normal" light bulbs, except for the distant light, which behaves like standing next to the sun. wink

So, naturally, when you come in fom the sun light into a room just lit by a single light bulb, you'll see next to nothing. Your eyes need to adapt, which is what the tne mapping is doing for your virtual camera.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

In Iray the Intensity Slider is no longer used.

Use the Luminous Flux instead. Its near the bottom of the parameters. The default units are Lumens.

Then it's just a matter of getting used to the numbers and relating them to the real world.

...the default 1500 lumens is roughly the same as the old 100Watt bulbs, a tablelamp perhaps, it's also brightness of a typical overcast day!

...2500 lumens good for task/spot lighting

...and 3000 lumens would be approaching 'too bright for comfort'.

...a distant light emulating the full sun would be around 110,000