Ron's brushes

I just had a thought

I remember reading (I think on these forums) that photoshop brushes now work in Gimp, is this true?

If so, couldn't I get some of Ron's brushes (which I've been wanting) and "paint" whatever onto a blank canvas in Gimp, save the image and use it as a texture on a primitive in Daz?

Comments

• If you have the latest version of Gimp they do work in Gimp. 

• Yes, the .abr files, which are the brush files, work in GIMP.  I haven't tested all of them, but I have not had a problem using any of Ron's brushes yet.  Just be aware that some of his brushes also include some extras that are Photoshop exclusive such as styles.  Those PS styles can't be used in GIMP, but GIMP can read and use some of the others.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Thank you both. I'll have to try to remember the styles thing when looking over the brushes I want

I've never messed with brushes before

• I just broke down and bought two more of Ron's brushes sets - they really are excellent (and easy to use in GIMP - just put the .abr file in the brushes folder).

As you suggested, you can paint a square then map it to a primitive plane - use a B&W transparency map as well to get (for example) fog / lightning (colour can be done simply by changing the diffuse colour so you don't need two maps unless you're mixing colours).

It's also fun to use them as intended for postwork though - adding a few splashes etc to a rainy scene is nice and easy

GIMP can rotate brushes / change aspect ratio / size etc. just like PS.  If you've got a drawing tablet (which I don't), they can even be set up with dynamics (can use this with a mouse too, but it's trickier and there's no 'pressure' variance) (though I rarely need that anyway)

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Ron's brushes are so pretty they make me wish Photoshop didn't terrify me.

• Ron's brushes are so pretty they make me wish Photoshop didn't terrify me.

The term "postwork" used to put me off ... until I tried it a bit and realised I didn't need to actually draw stuff.

Open GIMP / PS / etc , Open image , add transparent layer , choose brush , splat , choose other brush , resize , splat , repeat , undo , repeat , marvel at how awesome it now looks wink

• Hi, I have the latest version. It is working fine.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Ron's brushes are so pretty they make me wish Photoshop didn't terrify me.

Seek out books/classes/tutorials by Deke McClelland....he'll get you thru your fears :)

• I was just looking for some tutorials and here's a set that show how to use Ron's brushes in GIMP: http://indigojanson.com/12126/deviney-photoshop-brushes-gimp-guide/

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Thank you all, now I can support that PA as well :)