Dear PAs, just a tiny little bit of more work would be wonderful

I just saw (purely as an example) the new release interstellar patrol. Beautifully made non-skimpware, even with flat heels. I love it. There's just a tiny little bit missing which would make it even more versatile, the option to get a cover for the front stomach area as well (there do exist some real kevlar wests which have this add-on, so that, depending on how imminent the danger is threatening, you can upgrade the protection level).

There are several outfits which could be dramatically more versatile with just slight changes. Cut-out outfits which would profit if we could make then non-cut-outs with one click, protective suits which would vastly improve if they had an option to really seal EVERY opening, skirts which, if the wearer is just standing still, tend to hung down in reality, but continue to look like being in full motion (or made of stiff plastic) with DAZ, and such.

Consider this just an idea or inspiration, I'm not citizising your work. (Prefer to show my approval with buying).

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189

If you look at the vest you are using as an example you will see it does extend pretty far. And as a persone who has work bullet proof vests, both under a uniform and over, you start getting to much lower and you start to restrict mobility of movement of the wearer. I don't see any cut outs int he uniform or vest so not sure what you mean there. I see what looks like mobility panels on the pants and the vest has raised plate panels it looks like. 

As far as the skirts I would have to agree with you there. 

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

The cut-outs are NOT in this outfit, that was just a general observation.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189

The cut-outs are NOT in this outfit, that was just a general observation.

Ah OK, my apologies on that part then. 

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

Considering this is a DAZ original, not a PA item, it should be no effort at all for you to create a transparency map with photoshop to create the cutout. This is what kitbashing from customers is all about. Most products are a base for you to customize, you just need to take the time to learn. 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited October 2016

At least with this particular costume, I am very pleased that the design for male and female versions are actually the same.  

There are also a few other uniforms with chestplates that could be switched out with this one. Kitbashing is cool, but it really depends on how deep you want to get into it. On the scale of absolute novice to professional, I'm not sure where I would place the skill, but  just like modding in computer games, it adds another level of fun and usuability, but you really need to like doing it.  However if you are wanting to make a career out of daz, or daz art, kitbashing, morphing and modeling are going to eventually have to become part of your arsenal;  you can't depend on PAs for all your needs and for the sake of originality you probably wouldn't want to.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574
    edited October 2016

Considering this is a DAZ original, not a PA item, it should be no effort at all for you to create a transparency map with photoshop to create the cutout. This is what kitbashing from customers is all about. Most products are a base for you to customize, you just need to take the time to learn. 

Since the product is clearly labelled as something made by sloshwerks, I think the comment is perfectly reasonable as being addressed to PAs. The OP is simply suggesting to Sloshwerks and other folks that make clothing items to consider making items a bit more generalized in their usability. 

There have been many times when I like a top that came with an outfit, but it was much too short to wear with something else. In some cases you can morph it or use magnets or whatever DS calls their similar tool, but sometimes it just doesn't work because you end up with a lot of stretching or unnatural shape. If the artist were willing to invest a little more time, they could create something that would have a lot more usability for the end user (i.e. make the item normal length and add a morph to allow it to properly "tuck" into the pants or shorts or skirt that came with the item). Or worse, a men's suit where the shirt is only partially modelled...I HATE this one. You might say that this effort is wasted and wouldn't affect sales, but that isn't necessarily true. If folks buy items based on stuff they see in gallery images, then by expanding the item's usability will also increase it's frequency in those gallery posts and, thus, increase sales. 

Post edited by mambanegra on
    edited October 2016

Since the product is clearly labelled as something made by sloshwerks, I think the comment is perfectly reasonable as being addressed to PAs. The OP is simply suggesting to Sloshwerks and other folks that make clothing items to consider making items a bit more generalized in their usability. 

There have been many times when I like a top that came with an outfit, but it was much too short to wear with something else. In some cases you can morph it or use magnets or whatever DS calls their similar tool, but sometimes it just doesn't work because you end up with a lot of stretching or unnatural shape. If the artist were willing to invest a little more time, they could create something that would have a lot more usability for the end user (i.e. make the item normal length and add a morph to allow it to properly "tuck" into the pants or shorts or skirt that came with the item). Or worse, a men's suit where the shirt is only partially modelled...I HATE this one. You might say that this effort is wasted and wouldn't affect sales, but that isn't necessarily true. If folks buy items based on stuff they see in gallery images, then by expanding the item's usability will also increase it's frequency in those gallery posts and, thus, increase sales. 

However, you do have to consider the detail that goes into making that level a mesh detail that request most likely isn't feasible nor practical. Things do have to pass QA and if you don't know how to make this type of content, suggestions that you think would be easy are not. As I said this is where the use may need to learn how to customize what is there. It may be good for their use, but not good enough to easly pass QA.

Also consider for the price there is only one texture included; this could be an a material option for a future set or someone could make a quick edit in photoshop.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

If you look at the vest you are using as an example you will see it does extend pretty far. And as a persone who has work bullet proof vests, both under a uniform and over, you start getting to much lower and you start to restrict mobility of movement of the wearer.

having been around and worn vests also, I agree, it's a good fit. Even though the interstellar patrol outfit isn't skimpy enough for me, I actually like it, it looks well done and realistic enough for my uses.

At least with this particular costume, I am very pleased that the design for male and female versions are actually the same.  

There are also a few other uniforms with chestplates that could be switched out with this one. Kitbashing is cool, but it really depends on how deep you want to get into it. On the scale of absolute novice to professional, I'm not sure where I would place the skill, but  just like modding in computer games, it adds another level of fun and usuability, but you really need to like doing it.  However if you are wanting to make a career out of daz, or daz art, kitbashing, morphing and modeling are going to eventually have to become part of your arsenal;  you can't depend on PAs for all your needs and for the sake of originality you probably wouldn't want to.

Agreed. I actually kitbash nearly every outfit I use, both in mixing outfits and also retexturing and sometimes re-modeling parts. One reason is necessity, the other is to make it unique. Nothing worse for originallity to see the same outfit you used also used by 20 other users in the gallery, I have never bought an addon texture set for any addon. Luckily DS makes it pretty easy to alter something and save it as a preset for future use, shaders, props, fits, poses, etc..

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,775

"However if you are wanting to make a career out of daz, or daz art, kitbashing, morphing and modeling are going to eventually have to become part of your arsenal;  you can't depend on PAs for all your needs and for the sake of originality you probably wouldn't want to."

I Agree this is also very true with props/sets as well

Since I render every thing in Cinema4D, I consider all of Daz content just a base starting point that is largely unusable for animation in its original state.

I always set my importer to break imported models by material.
    This enables me to have animated sliding /opening doors on sci fi sets that were originaly not designed to move in the Daz studio versions.

I also routinely replace Glowing LED's with C4D Glowing materials
    and Static computer screen images with animated computer interface footage.

This two minute clip is full of examples where I have replaced static computer displays of Daz /poser props with my own custom animated footage.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2TYEp536iB8aVBBdHJWRE9jODg

Could you, please, really read what I asked?

I do not wish to make cutouts. Especially not in this SF outfit, which I really love. All I did was asking the PAs to add modifications, which make some outfits more usable, if, ond only if, these modifications can be made without too much work. Just giving the paying customer (like me) more incentive to buy something.

"However if you are wanting to make a career out of daz, or daz art, kitbashing, morphing and modeling are going to eventually have to become part of your arsenal;  you can't depend on PAs for all your needs and for the sake of originality you probably wouldn't want to."

+1 We did read what you said, but the following responses were very applicable. Those modifications are really more personal preferences than anything else, so these are the suggestions that are offered so you can make the outfit your own.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

First, thanks to those who said they like the outfit!  I actually started work on this before G3M even came out... started as a G2M outfit, which eventually evolved into an outfit for both G3M and G3F.  So, as far as "taking a little more time", this outfit was over a year in the making, lol.  But, seriously, I know what you mean.  

As for extending the chest plate, sometimes it's just a matter of "I didn't think of that", not an intentional design choice.  I was more concerned, in this case, with getting all of those straps and buckles to look good.  This project was tons of work, and making it ready for both genders was.... challenging, shall we say.

I will keep your suggestions in mind next time I work on an outfit.  I do appreciate the feedback, especially when it is presented the way you did, rather than the way we PAs sometimes get "suggestions" (in the form of insults).  I will keep an eye out for renders in the gallery!  Cheers

• Slosh said:

First, thanks to those who said they like the outfit!  I actually started work on this before G3M even came out... started as a G2M outfit, which eventually evolved into an outfit for both G3M and G3F.  So, as far as "taking a little more time", this outfit was over a year in the making, lol.  But, seriously, I know what you mean.  

Out of curiosity, how far along did you get with the G2 version, and do you have any plans to release it? For what it's worth, I would instantly buy a G2M and/or G2F version. I'm a Poser user, so G3 is still pretty much off-limits.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    Slosh said:

As for extending the chest plate, sometimes it's just a matter of "I didn't think of that", not an intentional design choice.  I was more concerned, in this case, with getting all of those straps and buckles to look good.  This project was tons of work, and making it ready for both genders was.... challenging, shall we say.

I will keep your suggestions in mind next time I work on an outfit.  I do appreciate the feedback, especially when it is presented the way you did, rather than the way we PAs sometimes get "suggestions" (in the form of insults).  I will keep an eye out for renders in the gallery!  Cheers

Thank you Slosh;  it's a wonderful outfit, and I've definitely got plans for it in future renders.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I'm sure there are many fine examples of products where the PA put in extra work to make the product more versatile. Two that come to my mind immediately are JeanZ for Genesis 3 from the3dwizard, (and the earlier versions, of course,) and the denim pants in OOT's Daily Casuals MEGA Wardrobe for Genesis 3 Male(s). Products like these will always tempt me. If I can use them, they will end up in my cart sooner or later.

I'd really love to see some skirts/dresses with similar treatments to give us a choice on the length. Length morphs are better than nothing, and I do appreciate it when a PA includes them. However, we all know morphs can and do stretch the mesh, and that can create odd distortions in the texture, especially those with patterns.

Please do not construe this as a criticism of anyone or any product; I am in awe of the talents of the PAs. This is simply in support of the sentiment expressed by the OP. The more versatile a wardrobe product is, the easier it is to kitbash with it, the more likely it will end up in my cart when it's released.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

Various shaders can make spots on armour look more defensive. Skin can be textured to chainmail underneath skimpy armour, there's a lot that can be done to make a piece look more defensive or more useful. Since learnign how to add shaders, most of the skimpy wear goes over the top of the chainmail shaded skin. Or, I use the bodysuit and turn that into chainmail underneath when skin level is not enough.

Glad the boots lost the stiletto heels, realistic boots are great!

@slosh: Thank you for your generally good work. I own 10 of your items already, and I'm sure they will multiply. I know you look for details, your items are hyper-real sometimes..

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

There are a couple of things I would like to chime in with here.  First off, a big thank you to all of the people that create the content I purchase and use in the enjoyment of this hobby.  Over the last few years my list of PA's that I immediately buy from has kept growing and my hobby  budget is more and more challenged. 

Making suggestions is good.  It lets the people doing the creating have a better idea of what is wanted.  Nothing wrong with suggestions.  Lets just always remember to make them in a way that is polite and respectful of the fact that any person who creates something has invested something of themselves into it and there will always be an emotional "component/investment" in their creation.  Because of this , lets make our suggestions with thought and care.

On the subject of "kit bashing", I think everyone does it to an extent.  I can count on one hand the times I have seen an outfit in the store that is perfect in all particulars for a project I had in mind.  It just does not happen that often.  Mostly what I do is use pieces from multiple outfits to get what I want.  Also I will play with the visibility channels in items where possible to hide details that don't quite go with what I want.  Oh, and shaders. I have collected shaders in mass quantities particularly since we got iray to play with.  All those things help a lot but I would love to learn how to do the transparency map adjustments and other things referenced in this thread.  Unfortunately I have a pretty demanding job and limited time for investment in my hobby. If someone knows of some relatively straightforward tutorials, perhaps they could share???

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899

Shifting direction, I'd love more rigid clothing to be designed with the idea that people won't be using autofit. Like, for example, a bra or top that was designed basically as cups with stretchable bits between them, and maybe a few morphs to change the shape of the pieces independently.