Gimp vs Photoshop for post work?

joshuabouillion87joshuabouillion87 Posts: 99
edited October 2016 in New Users
Hi, looking into seeing which is best between the 2 when it comes to doing post work with my renders. I've just purchased some of Deviney's Photoshop brushes.Also, I'm curious to know if the Photoshop brushes work just as well when using gimp? Gotta start somewhere. Hoping to get some opinions. Thanks!
Post edited by joshuabouillion87 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes,Ron's brushes work in GIMP.

• mjc1016 said:

Yes,Ron's brushes work in GIMP.

Thanks mjc, gonna download Gimp tonight.
  • Hello joshua, in my experience there is NO best between GIMP and PHOTOSHOP. Many old school users says PS is better, but in truth, GIMP can do the work as well as the paid software. The story about PS is essential in their workflow is simply a question of preferences (and possibilities)
    What u can get in PS, u can get it in GIMP.
    Good luck, bye

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

Thats not true at all, photoshop has far more features than gimp, gimp does not even support cmyk without some fiddling. Whether or not one uses all those additional ps features is another issue but to suggest all ps features exist in gimp is completely false. But gimp does not cost 700 bucks, and should be sufficient for most peoples needs, especially if you are not 'in the industry'.

• joshuabouillion87joshuabouillion87 Posts: 99
    edited October 2016
    Did a little research yesterday. For professionals Photoshop is recommended.Why? It's just because of whatever projects that are done in the professional world,there is only a certain format that can be exported from Photoshop.That means when working on a project with other professionals you need to be able to share files with them. So, in respect to the professional world, it's ideal to lean towards Photoshop. Also, photoshop has something for color printing your work. I'll paste this right below. CMYK Color Mode There are two dominant color modes that professional photographers and designers use: RGB and CMYK. RGB comes from the red, green, and blue pixels that are used both to capture images with cameras and to portray them on a digital screen. CMYK comes from the cyan, magenta, yellow, and black inks used by commercial printers. OK I'm back this is me again. Also, read that the same tools that Gimp uses are as equally as powerful as Photoshop s tools. But make note of this, Photoshop does have more tools than Gimp. How many more tools PS has, I don't know. As a hobbyist,not professionally, I just wanna be able to add a little touch to my renders.
    Post edited by joshuabouillion87 on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I started working with GIMP.  It does quite well and many people have used it to produce wonderful work.  It depends on what you want to do and what your preference is.  GIMP can pretty much do the same as Photoshop but it does it differently.  Photoshop has been around a long time and has tons of documentation and tutorials out there, far more than GIMP.  GIMP is also FREE.  Recently Photoshop became affordable with a subscription.  Even at $120 per year, the constant upgrades make the Photoshop/Lightroom package subscription cheaper than buying the program outright.

That being said, I would look up instructional videos and they would explain how to do it in Photoshop, and then I had to figure out how to do it in GIMP.  That was frustrating because I was spinning my wheels trying to find it when I just wanted to get in an do it. 

I really don't like the way the brushes are set up in GIMP.  They are so tiny I can't see them.  When I use my graphics tablet, I was constantly yanking the brush controls out of the dock.  Grrrr.  However, I like the way that GIMP's brush controls are nicer to manipulate, since they are permanent on one side.  I can see the brush shrinking/growing as I resize it.

Photoshop's Warp is far superior to GIMP's Cage Transform Tool, which is clunky in comparison. 

Truth is, I have good things to say about both programs, but my choice was made when GIMP started to crash when I tried to load a graphic, and then the download site had been compromised, so I couldn't download the update.  So I moved to Photoshop and am happy with my choice.  I see that Photoshop has more features - after all, they have been doing it for a very long time. 

I really like Photoshop's export feature.  I can choose the format and shrink it how I want.  I can render at 3000x3000, then export to jpg just under 2 MB so I can post it in the forums. 

Also, I picked up Filter Forge when it was on sale, and discovered later that it's not compatible with GIMP.  That may be temporary, but it was a grumble when I found out.

• PedroCPedroC Posts: 194
    edited October 2016

I'm an user of Photoshop from earlier versions. I sincerely believe that Photoshop like other legendary programs are overvalued today. Not mean they are not good or very good, but not worth the price they cost. You can find most of the things they do with other very cheap or even free programs. A lot of times I think I'm using PS because I've got the licenses.

In addition to Gimp you can use ArtRage https://www.artrage.com to work in RGB, Clip Paint Studio Pro http://my.smithmicro.com/ is enough to work in CMYK. You have Krita https://krita.org/en/ free. I believe remember that all of them can work with Photoshop files and export * .psd format. Joining them all come out cheaper than using Photoshop. Photoshop is possibly the most comfortable as photo retouching program. In the case of Photoshop most of the tools you will use daily were already in PS version 5.5 of 1999.

But above all we must understand that the best tool is your ability forged with hard training.

Post edited by PedroC on
  • Thanks guys, keep the comments coming! Although I've had a question, since working in 2d is it possible to alter a brush to make it look 3d. For example, if you had a render of a vehicle of its sides, or front, and back it would be easy to place a brush on it. Like a symbol or something. But, what if the vehicle is at a 3/4 quarters view? Is it possible to angle the brush? Or am I better off applying it to the models texture/diffuse map?
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Open the render in your favorite editor,  then apply the brush to a new layer and use the deform tools in you image editor to 'fit'...

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

I used to use Photoshop until Adobe debutted the subscription model.

I use GIMP now. It took me a while to adapt but I am comfortable with it now. It's free to boot. As a hobbyist, I guess GIMP suits me better.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Thanks guys, keep the comments coming! Although I've had a question, since working in 2d is it possible to alter a brush to make it look 3d. For example, if you had a render of a vehicle of its sides, or front, and back it would be easy to place a brush on it. Like a symbol or something. But, what if the vehicle is at a 3/4 quarters view? Is it possible to angle the brush? Or am I better off applying it to the models texture/diffuse map?

Asuming you have access to the original scene, you could simply copy the vehicle's material and paint the symbol on that and then render (or use LIE), rather than trying to postwork the render.  It might still be distorted or seams might be a problem depending on how the vehicle was mapped, but it might also be super easy and/or close enough that no distortion is visible.

• This is beyond me. How am I supposed to know if the compressed files is in a unknown format, or damaged? Has this happened to anyone before when manually downloading, then extracting the files from the compressed folders for Ron's brushes? Its also doing it with some of his other products.

Untitled.png
    1366 x 768 - 234K

Try unzipping it in a different application than WinRAR (Windows can open zips automatically, you don't even need another application.)  If it works, great, it was something related to WinRAR.  Similarly you should be able to view the contents in windows even without opening it, but if you can't something is wrong.   If you get the same or a similar error, then try redownloading.  Occasionally files get corrupted during download, maybe you just got unlucky and redownloading will fix it.  Or maybe the file got damaged when it was created; on occasion I've seen these and reported them to DAZ to be repacked.

•  

sriesch said:

Try unzipping it in a different application than WinRAR (Windows can open zips automatically, you don't even need another application.)  If it works, great, it was something related to WinRAR.  Similarly you should be able to view the contents in windows even without opening it, but if you can't something is wrong.   If you get the same or a similar error, then try redownloading.  Occasionally files get corrupted during download, maybe you just got unlucky and redownloading will fix it.  Or maybe the file got damaged when it was created; on occasion I've seen these and reported them to DAZ to be repacked.

Tried redownloading them already, still didn't work. Right clicking> Open, doesn't do anything. But, hitting (Extract all) right be low gives me this Pop up box. I'm guessing I should take this message literally. There is absolutely nothing in the copressed folder to be unpacked?

Untitled.png
    1366 x 768 - 250K

The file size in your screenshot is showing as hundreds of MB, but clearly it isn't opening.  You might try opening a different zip just to make sure other things work fine, then I would suggest reporting it to customer support.

• sriesch said:

The file size in your screenshot is showing as hundreds of MB, but clearly it isn't opening.  You might try opening a different zip just to make sure other things work fine, then I would suggest reporting it to customer support.

K, will do.
  • I use GIMP and I'm happy with it.  It is a great tool for learning to do postwork, but admittedly my postwork skills are still very beginner.  I've found, so far, that anytime I come across some technique I want to use that is supposedly Photoshop only, there is a way to do it in GIMP.  Recently, I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't get to try out the NIK filters that were released this year, but then discovered that the someone modded the beta version of GIMP 2.9 to allow GIMP users to use them.  So, if that is something you are interested in that is PS only at the moment, there is a way for GIMP to use those, too.  It is mostly going to come down to your style of doing and learning things and how each of the software options match up with how you think and learn.