Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Superman 2.0
    Upgrade to my previous render:
    1. Larger logo
    2. Made a displacement map for the boot tops
    3. Softened the facial expression so he looked less angry
    4. Did a little studying on getting a better render out of 3Delight
    I think I'm through with the character for now. :)

Superman_2.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 236K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

havin fun with my new rim shader presets

I saw this last night. It's taken me this long to calm myself down to write a reply that didn't sound like whiny pleas to hurry up and release this set so you can take my money.

I've consoled myself with playing with what I have right now, and that seems to be working for now...

:down:

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Randall,

That's an awesome render. Daredevil is terrific and the lighting is amazing. Are you developing the rim shaders? Where can I buy them?

And I want the Spider-man super suit, too. When you're finished.

Thanks

The shader preset set is part of my upcoming supersuit expansion... hold tight... its comin :D

I want that Judge though ;)

Wow! That DareDevil is amazing! Ok, so everything I see that you are working on is making my wallet run and hide! lol

I can not wait for this stuff to be in the DAZ store!

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Superman 2.0
    Upgrade to my previous render:
    1. Larger logo
    2. Made a displacement map for the boot tops
    3. Softened the facial expression so he looked less angry
    4. Did a little studying on getting a better render out of 3Delight
    I think I'm through with the character for now. :)

Looks great! Now, how about the same character in a few different scenes? I like the style and would like so see a bit more, if I may.

-- Walt Sterdan

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited April 2013

Been experimenting with a bit of overpainting and filters for the 3rd issue of my comic book. Tried using it on my Superman model. The results look pretty good. Props to Alan Dempster for the Daily Planet Globe. :coolsmile:

Supermanfullb.jpg
    2000 x 1659 - 625K
    Post edited by Servant on
  • hal1hal1 Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Adam warlock WIP

I think that when I'll finish this one, it would be really time to work hard on thanos, isn't it ? ;)

closeup1.png
    300 x 400 - 141K
    warlock.png
    300 x 400 - 55K
    Post edited by hal1 on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

hal1 said:
    Adam warlock WIP

I think that when I'll finish this one, it would be really time to work hard on thanos, isn't it ? ;)

I've got a head morph to compliment that: http://josephquick.tumblr.com/post/46739509048

• hal1hal1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    hal1 said:
    Adam warlock WIP

I've got a head morph to compliment that: http://josephquick.tumblr.com/post/46739509048

Wow, really nice work joe :)

I used to have an old thanos outfit headmorph for poser6 don but I need to complety rework it to make it work with the freak or genesis...

Do you remember this? It was first post at animotion (old good time ;) ):

thanos!.JPG
    800 x 600 - 212K
    edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Been experimenting with a bit of overpainting and filters for the 3rd issue of my comic book. Tried using it on my Superman model. The results look pretty good. Props to Alan Dempster for the Daily Planet Globe. :coolsmile:

Wow! That looks really awesome! Is that suit made with the SuperSuit? That daily globe looks really awesome too. Where did you get that?

edited April 2013

Geminii23 said:
    BorgyB said:

Wow! That looks really awesome! Is that suit made with the SuperSuit? That daily globe looks really awesome too. Where did you get that?

Glad you like it! Yep. That's the Supersuit, Cape and belt. Trunks are the Genesis briefs. Daily Planet Globe is on Sharecg by Alan Dempster (look for aldemps) which I modified with shaders. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Geminii23 said:
    BorgyB said:

Glad you like it! Yep. That's the Supersuit, Cape and belt. Trunks are the Genesis briefs. Daily Planet Globe is on Sharecg by Alan Dempster (look for aldemps) which I modified with shaders. :coolsmile:

How did you do the "S" if you don't mind me asking.

I have tried experimenting with the SuperSuit a little bit but man it seems so complicated.

Unrelated, but I just went to Sharecg and they put one of my pics on their home page! Yeah!

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited April 2013

Thought I'd try something a bit different this time...

Yes, that's a straight D|S 3Delight render. No postwork at all.

I_take_it_back!.jpg
    457 x 590 - 338K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    That'd be awesome.

General rules of inking include objects closer to the viewer should be more heavily outlined with greater line variance. Objects in the background should have a thin line around them and little line variance.

Line weight (i.e. Thickness) should be greater on the side of the object with the greatest amount of shade.

This rule is, of course like all rules, made to be broken but its a good rule of thumb. Don't know how to make that happen in a shader but I ink so I know that.

Quick proof of concept. I finally have a surface-based depth shader control I'm happy about linking into other things. The outline shader itself is nothing to speak of at the moment, but variation of the line width is a-okay. Only difference between the right and left renders is dialing in the depth variable.
    outlinedepth.jpg
    800 x 641 - 103K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

What software is that in? D|S 4.5 won't let me connect "depth"-type nodes to a surface root, so I'm madly curious!

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

hal1 said:
    Joequick said:
    hal1 said:
    Adam warlock WIP

Wow, really nice work joe :)

I used to have an old thanos outfit headmorph for poser6 don but I need to complety rework it to make it work with the freak or genesis...

Do you remember this? It was first post at animotion (old good time ;) ):

heh, animotions

in my defense, it wasn't actually my birthday

hehanimotions.jpg
    1368 x 768 - 273K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

WOW... banned for life for something that's not your mistake. So lame!

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited April 2013

New Dredd Render Mostly Photoshop:

Also, like your morphs Joe!

NewDredd02_SM.jpg
    2000 x 1376 - 1M
    Post edited by rduda on
    edited December 1969

What software is that in? D|S 4.5 won't let me connect "depth"-type nodes to a surface root, so I'm madly curious!

Yeah, the current depth stuff seems to be camera only. It was driving me insane looking through the old forums for Shader Mixer recipes I could pull from and realizing every single depth shader was a camera. So I made my own that works on surfaces. Luckily, I love math. Who says algebra has no application in the real...wait, does this count as the real world? :lol:

First set of components: Two Variable [Fixed], one set to E (this gives the position of the viewer) and the other set to P (this gives the position of the surface). Plug both of them into a Distance brick, and it gives you something that will spit out the distances between points on an object, and the viewer. I personally grouped this and saved it as a custom "Eye to Point Distance" brick so I could work with it more easily later.

Now, what that gives you isn't usable straight out of the box. To be usable and intuitive, values should stretch from 0 to 1, as that's basically from pure black to pure white. Anything else clips. If it was only being used for a pure math calculation, that might be fine. However, if you want to use it later to render a depth mask, you're SOL. Besides, having values range from 0 to 1 makes them far more intuitive for further calculations.

So we'll fix that. Add a Binary Operation brick, change the title to "Move to Scene Min," and connect the Eye to Point Distance output to the first input. Add a Value brick, name its variable slider "Minimum Distance" and connect the output to the second input. Change the operation to "Subtract." This will allow you to dial down the values of Eye to Point Distance all by the same amount, so you can set the position where pure black starts (yes, pure black, it's in reverse at the moment, don't worry about it for now) at the closest surface to to the camera.

Still unusable, of course. It goes way past pure white almost instantly. That's what we fix next. In order to do that, we need to scale the current output by the visible scene size. Mathematically, this works out to maxdistance-mindistance, to take the camera position out of the equation. So add another Value brick and name its variable Maximum Distance. Add another Binary Operation brick and change the title to "Scene Size." Plug the output of Maximum Distance into the first input of Scene Size. Plug the output of Minimum Distance into the second input. Change the operation to Subtract. That will give you a flat numeric value for the visible scene size, once the distance variables are set properly.

Now, we need to use that to scale the distance output properly. So add another Binary Operations brick and change the title to "Scale to Scene Size." Plug the output of Move to Scene Min into the first input. Plug the output of Scene Size into the second input.Change the operation to Divide. This will scale all the values appropriately, so pure white (yep, still backwards) will be at the far side of the scene once the Distance variables are set correctly.

Now, we don't really want a backwards depth shader. It's "technically" accurate. Black is mapped to the closest distance, the closest distance is the smallest distance, and black represents zero. But for a intuitive shader, we want the closest part of the scene to be white, the closer to us the more "important." It makes using the output to scale effects simpler. You can stop here if you like. However, I added one more Binary Operations brick, changed the title to "Invert," changed the first value to 1, set it to hidden (not locked, never ever locked, this can cause fun, fun problems depending on the situation), plugged the output of Scale to Scene Size into the second input, and changed the operation to Subtract. This inverts the shader values so they run from high (close) to low (far).

The best thing about this is, since it's based on the surface, it can be mapped with transparency. You have to mess with ray depth and such to get those camera shaders to work with it - they might be simpler at face value, but this will give you surface by surface control.

Happy messing around. I'm sorry for the lack of images at the moment. I'll have the custom bricks and a final Shader Mixer file uploaded to ShareCG in a minute. Only a snippet, but I think it's quite a useful one and I hope other people find it handy for their own shaders.

edited December 1969

Okay, here we go. ShareCG link including custom bricks for the depth map functionality itself and the basic raw 'distance between viewer and surface', plus images and a Shader Mixer file so the internal nodes can be poked through more easily for those who have the inclination to do so (ungrouping the brick unfortunately messes up the arrangement).

example-of-use.jpg
    600 x 508 - 31K
    eye-to-point-distance.jpg
    535 x 345 - 54K
    depth-shader.jpg
    816 x 616 - 184K
    edited December 1969

Another Render and tooning in photoshop

AAA_SM.jpg
    576 x 800 - 132K
  • Randall LloydRandall Lloyd Posts: 88
    edited April 2013

RDUDA

Dude... seriously... that is some pro level illustration.

well played.

I would really like to see your cell shading workflow.

Post edited by Randall Lloyd on
    edited April 2013

RDUDA

Dude... seriously... that is some pro level illustration.

well played.

I would really like to see your cell shading workflow.

Step 1
    I render my picture out, it can be rendered out normally or you can use the toon filter, it may work better.

Step 2
    Do an exact re-render, but with no color whatsoever in the picture. I did a save as to my Poser file and then went to each item in color to white (eliminating all the texture files), in this example I left the white highlight as an experiment but I would recommend turning the reflection off altogether. Make sure the camera angle does not change between the 2 files so they will line up in the next step.

Step 3
    Take both renderings in the Photoshop and layer them on top of each other. On the white render layer run the filter from the filter menu filter/other/high-pass. This will give you the outline look.
    Go in with a paint brush and eraser and fix any lines or blots, you can also use a few filters such as "photocopy" to punch up the line weight of the black outline (but this may add some more work on retouching)

Step 4
    Back to the color layer, run a few filters over top of it to given an illustration look, anything from posterize to watercolors will work depending on how you feel that day.

Step 5
    Set the line art layer to darken, or any of the other multiplying layers so you can see the outline over top of the rendered color layer.
    you should now have your final render! Congratulations

There are a couple tutorials out there that cover this type of tuning that may be a lot better than this quick run through, if you Google to outline 3-D models or renders you will find a few of them.

WorkFlow.jpg
    1788 x 576 - 245K
    Post edited by rduda on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,748
    edited December 1969

Was reading World War Hulk again last night.....and wanted to do a tribute pic.

Rawn

WWHulk.jpg
    960 x 886 - 389K
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Rawn

Sweet!

edited December 1969

Here is a more watercolor work up of a Dredd, I hope No one is getting too tired of dread renders it should be over soon.

JD2_SM.jpg
    688 x 1800 - 601K
    edited April 2013

Rduda said:
    RawArt said:

Rawn

Sweet!

Thanx :)

Like your work with Dredd........though I only really know him through the Stalone flick

Rawn

Post edited by RawArt on
    edited April 2013

Geminii23 said:

How did you do the "S" if you don't mind me asking.

I have tried experimenting with the SuperSuit a little bit but man it seems so complicated.

I used the layered image editor. It's not actually hard but it is tedious (since you have to work on each area of the torso so that it lines up. However, I did this way back before Randall made the Super-suit tips. Randall's processes are more intuitive, so I'd recommend following those. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Rduda said:
    RawArt said:

Rawn

Sweet!

Like your work with Dredd........though I only really know him through the Stalone flick

Rawn

You poor guy, if you have any extra time, the new movie is a much better representation of the comic, if you can handle the violence I recommend it more than the Stalone flick, but don't get me wrong, in some ways I liked that movie as a sci-fi flick.

edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    RawArt said:
    Rduda said:
    RawArt said:

Rawn

Sweet!

Rawn

You poor guy, if you have any extra time, the new movie is a much better representation of the comic, if you can handle the violence I recommend it more than the Stalone flick, but don't get me wrong, in some ways I liked that movie as a sci-fi flick.

But Stalone made that one line iconic "I yam Dahl Lawrr"
    (I actually liked the movie)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

For me, nothing beats the Brian Bolland Dredd art.
    His Dredd was "The Law".

comics_judge_dredd_complete.jpg
    618 x 796 - 153K
This discussion has been closed.