Is DAZ3D the right tool for this fashion task?

Hello everyone

I am looking for a 3d tool that can me help on the following:

I need to create a scarf 3d modell. The scarf modell will allways be the same size. The only thing that will change

is the design/pattern. And if possible I would also like to change the pose of the scarf. Like around the neck, over the shoulders and so on.

Can I do this with DAZ3D? 

I was browsing the shop, but couldn't find a scarf model that is square. 

- So I would need to create one by myself

- and I would probably need to generate the poses of the scarf myself right?

Is this possibel and is it like beginner, intermediate or pro level to do this?

Warm regards

Philipp

Comments

• Yes, you would probably need to model the scarf (in an external application) and then rig it to the figure, if you wanted to be able to pose the figure (if you want the same pose every time then just a static model would do). The different positions could be handled by moprhs or by special bones in the rigging. For a task like this Marvellous Designer would be the obvious choice, if your budget runs to it.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,000

You can also create a square primitive in DAZ Studio, and run it through VWD dynamic tool using the Studio Bridge for VWD. Those two tools would pretty much cover your problems, and you wouldn't have a problem with rigging. That would be a fairly simple process, though you'd need a bit of practicing with the VWD tool.

I can PM you the link if you are interested, as it's on Renderosity, not here.

However, if you are not just creating that single scarf, then Marvelous Designer is indeed smething you might want to consider. They have a free 30 day trial period, and the product is really great.

• edited October 2016

Thanks for your help guys.

I tried out now Marvelous Designer 5. Which is really great for this kind of things.

But now I am facing two problems, that you might to help me with.

- As described the ideal process would be to import a pose from Daz to Marvelous Designer. I can load the pose (genesis 3 female) but then the program always starts to freeze or crash after some seconds. (This could be since I am running the latest iOS version and MD5 is not yet ready for this.)

I can live with that since to showcase my scarves I also can use some of the standard poses in MD5 and apply it in DAZ.

But now when I am exporting the obj of the scarf and opening it in DAZ my design/texture/pattern doesnt show up. Only a white scarf. Why?

So I applied the texture/design in DAZ3d which worked fine. BUT when I am rendering it, then it turns to a white scarf again. Nothing to see from my pattern. 

Why is that?

Thanks a lot for your kind support.

Post edited by philippsidler_65e6a0e0e2 on
  • just realized that it works with NVIDIA IRAY it works. But the result looks poor.

but this is probably related to my skills :)

• also I was now able to load an avate and its pose from daz3d to marvelous. I just had to take a more simpler one. Like the genesis, without any skin morphes or other details. Now it works fast and doesnt crash.

So the question that remains for me is the following:

When created the scarf in MD5, shall I export it or shall I add the textures and design in here? Or do I get a better rendering quality if I add it in DAZ?

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited October 2016

I always do the texturing outside of MD, either just using Photoshop or taking it into 3D Coat. You can do it in DS easily enough, as well. Generally, up the roughness all the way, give it some white translucency, and plug in the same texture used in the diffuse slot for starters (assuming the fabric dye runs all the way through the fabric).

If you're determined to do the texturing in MD, note that exporting with unified UVs will mean you won't get what you see in MD without using texture repeats in DS. But I always use unified UVs for a clear UV set that's easily textured with non-repeating detail but a high resolution map (8k for my recent highlander image - but that's a massive set of items that take up lots of UV space).

Added: Note that when I say "note that exporting with unified UVs will mean you won't get what you see in MD without using texture repeats in DS", I mean that exporting with unified UVs will result in the UV map being just like what you see in the 2D pattern window (MD6 allows you to set the UV space square - not sure if MD5 does from memory), and not tiled. Once I'm happy with the MD clothing I usually rearrange the patterns in the 2D window for the best fit in a UV square.

Post edited by Jimbow on
    edited October 2016

If you post your surface tab settings for the scarf, and tell us what's wrong (expected vs. what renders), maybe folks here can help you with getting it to work. smiley

If the export from MD doesn't work out in regards to the UV, you can always use this: http://www.uvmapper.com/

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  •  

Jimbow said:

I always do the texturing outside of MD, either just using Photoshop or taking it into 3D Coat. You can do it in DS easily enough, as well. Generally, up the roughness all the way, give it some white translucency, and plug in the same texture used in the diffuse slot for starters (assuming the fabric dye runs all the way through the fabric).

Thanks for this tip. I will try it out. I think one reason why I am not happy with the result is, that I have choosen a bad texture and further the size of it was too small. May I ask you, my scarfs in real are 140x140 cm. The scarf I created in MD5 is according to their measurement 1400 mm x 1400 mm. So what size in Pixel should the texture have that I am using? My final image that I am using to get printed on the scarfs in real is 140x140 cm / 300dpi. So shall I create a texture 140x140 cm but 72dpi?

I hope you understand my question and can help me on this.

BeeMKay said:

If you post your surface tab settings for the scarf, and tell us what's wrong (expected vs. what renders), maybe folks here can help you with getting it to work. smiley

If the export from MD doesn't work out in regards to the UV, you can always use this: http://www.uvmapper.com/

As mentioned above rendiring works now. I even was able to reinstall luxus from Luxrender after updating Daz3D 4.6 to 4.9 :)

Normally, textures are anywhere between 150x150 and 4000x4000. That is perfectly suitable to also give your 140x140 cm its looks. The question would rather be, does your scarf have a repetitive pattern? If so, you can get away by using a much smaller pattern, like 150x150, and use the tiling function of the image editor inside the diffuse slot.

If you need an example, I can create some screenshot for you once I am back home at my PC.

• edited October 2016

I am now a bit confused by the terms you are using.

My texture of the fabric can be repeating. But my pattern can't be repeating.

BeeMKay said:

Normally, textures are anywhere between 150x150 and 4000x4000. That is perfectly suitable to also give your 140x140 cm its looks. The question would rather be, does your scarf have a repetitive pattern? If so, you can get away by using a much smaller pattern, like 150x150, and use the tiling function of the image editor inside the diffuse slot.

If you need an example, I can create some screenshot for you once I am back home at my PC.

Post edited by philippsidler_65e6a0e0e2 on
  • I think what I just figured out in MD5 is, that I can load a white fabric texutre and then add my own pattern to it. Cause this pattern replaces then the fabric texture. Right?

So what I need to do is to create one image with the thexture and my design on it in Photoshop and then only load this image as texture. Right?

edited October 2016

Yes, basically that's it. Don't forget to create bump maps, or normal maps.

Here's what I meant about using a single pattern and tile it to get it repeated.

I first created a "scarf", using a plane primitive with 60 polygones as a base. You needa certain minimum amount of polygones if you want bump maps or normal maps to work. I converted the surface to Iray Ueber, using the shader preset that comes with DAZ Studio.

I load the bump map into the Bump Map slot, by clicking on the downward arrow and then go to "!Browse".

The I add the diffuse map into the Base Color slot the same way.

So far, I assume this is what you also have been doing (i just repeated this for users who maybe follow this thread and don't know.

The "scarf" now shows the pattern I assigned to it.

Now comes the new part: I click on the image in the Base Color slot. The menu opens and from it I select the Image Editor.

Inside the Image Editor, I select Instance Tiling.

The default tiling ist 1 by 1.

I change the value to 5 by 5, and click "Accept".

I repeat this with the same value for the bump map slot (or the normal, if you are using it). Once the two values are changed, I'd expect the change in tiles to show up in the Viewport. But...

The viewport still looks the same. But once you start rendering, you see that the pattern is now repeating itself.

This way, you can use a comparatively small base pattern (like, 150x150), and still fill larger surfaces without a problem.

But I do not know if this method can be used in your case, as I don't knolw the pattern you intend to use. But maybe the information will come in handy at a later time.

scarf1.JPG
    1385 x 829 - 186K
    scarf2.JPG
    446 x 798 - 61K
    scarf3.JPG
    954 x 786 - 113K
    scarf4.JPG
    938 x 668 - 98K
    scarf5.JPG
    1261 x 754 - 132K
    scarf6.JPG
    819 x 713 - 114K
    scarf7.JPG
    560 x 355 - 60K
    scarf8.JPG
    548 x 348 - 58K
    scarf9.JPG
    954 x 659 - 90K
    scarf10.JPG
    1162 x 829 - 131K
  • Wow, thank you so much that you took the time for this. I appreciate it a lot. 

And I will definetly give it a try.

Considering the bumpmaps I have a question. Does the fabric get more realistic doing it your way, or can I achieve the same result if I create in photoshop an image combining the texture and the pattern, merge it and load it as one into MD5 or DAZ3D?

Attached an image...it still needs a lot of work, I am not happy with the surface, looks flat. I didn't spend time yet on the lightning. I just quickly used a preset.

scarf.jpg
    584 x 680 - 96K

Bear in mind that you can open a texture's image editor and make, for example, the bump tiling a different number to the diffuse.

• Jimbow said:

Bear in mind that you can open a texture's image editor and make, for example, the bump tiling a different number to the diffuse.

i have no idea what you mean. could you pls explain what this is good for? are you refering to daz or md

edited October 2016

In DazStudio, if you go to the surface editor of a material and click on the image icon of a texture, you'll see 'Image Editor' at the top of the dropdown that lists all of the textures in your scene. Click on that and a popup opens where you can change the tiling repeats.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • Jimbow said:

In DazStudio, if you go to the surface editor of a material and click on the image icon of a texture, you'll see 'Image Editor' at the top of the dropdown that lists all of the textures in your scene. Click on that and a popup opens where you can change the tiling repeats.

ah. the repeating and all that is fine. I probably need just find a texture that is closer to my original scarves that are made of 93% modal and 7% cashmere.

edited October 2016

Wow, thank you so much that you took the time for this. I appreciate it a lot. 

And I will definetly give it a try.

Considering the bumpmaps I have a question. Does the fabric get more realistic doing it your way, or can I achieve the same result if I create in photoshop an image combining the texture and the pattern, merge it and load it as one into MD5 or DAZ3D?

Attached an image...it still needs a lot of work, I am not happy with the surface, looks flat. I didn't spend time yet on the lightning. I just quickly used a preset.

The bump map will take care of much of the flatness, especially if you are doing close-up renders. For my example, in addition to the texture set used in the first example, I also used this product, which is my "go to" when I convert clothes surfaces from 3Delight to Iray: http://www.daz3d.com/da-iray-fabric-shaders-leather-and-cloth

First is a very "fine" bump map, imitating silk.

Bump Map set to 0.00:

First, without texture:

With texture

Same Bump Map set to 5.0. As you can see, the "flat" look is gone, an the surface has structure now.

Here's the surface without texture, just using the bump map. You can see the fine structure created by the bump map.

Here's a different bump map, one for cotton. First the comparision render at 0.0:

And here's the image at bump map set to 5.0:

And again, without texture.

bump0.JPG
    1439 x 759 - 187K
    bump5.JPG
    1422 x 792 - 218K
    bump0a.JPG
    1443 x 795 - 230K
    notexbump0.JPG
    1264 x 437 - 54K
    notexbump5a.JPG
    1399 x 503 - 124K
    notexbump5b.JPG
    1389 x 467 - 145K
    bump5a.JPG
    1398 x 771 - 255K
  • Thanks again for this great step by step guide. I already tried it out and it helps a lot. 

But is it right that I see the changes of the bumping just after rendering it?

What's currently the biggest problem that I am facing, is how to nicely rap my scarf 140x140 cm around the neck of the avat in MD5. It's such a bic piece that it's difficult to handle. And there are unfortunatly no tutorials tips out there how to do it best. Cause it's very different to handle a square sarf to a rectangle one. (tutorial found).

Any tips on this? 

Yes, the bump will only show up in the render, because it has to be calculated, and OpenGL, that does the viewport previews you normally see, can not understand the meaning of the maps.

About the draping, sorry, I can't help you there.I only found one youtube video in google search that deals with draping a slightly larger scarf, and the person used pins.But you probably already found that video?

• BeeMKay said:

Yes, the bump will only show up in the render, because it has to be calculated, and OpenGL, that does the viewport previews you normally see, can not understand the meaning of the maps.

About the draping, sorry, I can't help you there.I only found one youtube video in google search that deals with draping a slightly larger scarf, and the person used pins.But you probably already found that video?

Thanks for explaining. I found some help on the drapping on the MD forum and that's now perfect. Will share my results when I am done with the rendering and so.

I'm looking forward to it! The scarf looked really good.

• almost there :)

• oops,looks like I have on two computers two different logins saved :)