Decimator Tool In Fast Grab

Is anybody regularly using the Decimator in their renders?  

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

I find the decimator an Excellent tool for us animators needing to do crowd scenes.
    45 seconds into this clip there are over forty Genesis figures Decimated to very low poly counts in Daz before sending to maxon C4D for rendering.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TYEp536iB8aVBBdHJWRE9jODg/view?usp=sharing

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I picked up decimator because I had items I wanted to use with various third party dynamic cloth tools for use in Studio. In cases where the original mesh was dense, those tools could bog down or crash my system so a decimated mesh made mucho sense to me. But I've also used it for background characters and props to cut down on the overall polys. It's a nice tool, at this price I'd recommend it for those who even think it might be useful.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

I have used it in combination with dynamic clothing as well. Any clothing mesh with a significant number of polygons will drap extremely slowly, so a decimated mesh speeds this up considerably.

• I don't see how anyone, especially those exporting content can do without it.

Some of the artists really get carried away.  Their content poly counts can be enormous.

I use it constantly, could never get anything done without it.

It can even help speed up static image production.  Decimate the heck out of the items and then work them in your scenes, before doing final renders.