Creating a prop with multiple UV maps?

I am modeling a prop in Blender, and it is three separate objects so each could have their own UV map. When I export the prop as an OBJ, the UV maps are combined into one. I found out OBJ can not support multiple UV maps. I am trying to bring the OBJ into Figure Setup so that I can rig it. If anyone has any ideas on how to bring in a prop into the Figure Setup that can have separate UV maps for the parts, I would truly appreciate it!

Thanks

Comments

• This is actually very easy to be honest - just a bit time consuming. The question would be more of "Why do you want 3 different textures for the item"? Unless it has a lot of detail that requires three 4k x 4k textures, it would be easier to have just one map.

Anyway here's how you do it:
    1. Save your item as "Item1", "Item2" and "Item3". They have to be the same item, but 3 seperate files.

2. In each of these files, create a UV that maps only one part of the itme each. (basically the rest of the surface has no UV on it - or their UV coordinates are off-map). Export these items as OBJs.

3. Load "Item1" into DAZ Studio.

4. In the Geometry editor - make 3 Surfaces, each of them for their part of the item that will receive the UVs.

5. Once you did that - go to the Surface Tab. The menu in the corner should have an option called "Load UV set". Use the "Item2" and "Item3" as your UV set bases.

6. Apply the UVs in the Surface tab to the correct surfaces. And there you have it.

Did that answer your question?

• Thanks Tomas, I will give that a try now. I appreciate the detailed response!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Create individual marterial zones, the UVs will still overlap when all materail zones are selected at once but appear separate when selected one at a time.