Uber Human Surface Shader

harrykimharrykim Posts: 225

Hi,

I still have a problem to understand what is making a structure on something, ... is it texture or is it shader ?

Found an interesting discription on how to use the HSS tool. I applied a shader (human skin) to an object which (I think ) has no and made a short render. No structure, just the skin styled surface colouring appears. Then I applied on that the HSS (by choosing the "ignore" option), made a short render, no changing visible

So I followed the instruction with regard to Bump, Displacement, Specular, Velvet and so on. This all indicates to me that there is a surface structure given with HSS which I can devine with the setup´s.

Since I dont see any effect at all I will have made somthing wrong or that all is a complete misunderstanding

... has HSS or other shaders anything to do with structure?

If not, ( and we do not have a "texture" category in Content Library) how to apply structure to something plane ?

Post edited by harrykim on

Comments

• uberSurface is a shader and tells the rendeer how the surface reacts to light and the angle at which it is being viewed. Many of its properties are intended to take maps to allow their values to vary across the surface. Velvet is responsive to viewing angle, so on a curved surface it should have an effect. The various SSS settings should also have a visible effect as theya re varied. Bump, however, definitely needs a map to do anything - as does displacement. I'm not sure what it is you are trying to achieve.

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited September 2016

Concerning Uber HSS the thread can be closed, since I went wrong on what it is and do

Thought it is like an upgrade like the HD Add on´s in the store

But it would ne nice if one would answer the questions for my better understanding.

Is a map a  texture ?  for e.g. wooden surface STRUCTURE ( I mean the typical physical optic )

Is Texture + Material a Shader ?

and if you have with a produkt the file type´s : 3D Object, CR2 and .jpg,  sorted in folders : Geometrie, Characters and Textures, ...

can it be that it has no structure like skin or leather anyway ? 

Thanks

Post edited by harrykim on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    harrykim said:

Concerning Uber HSS the thread can be closed, since I went wrong on what it is and do

Thought it is like an upgrade like the HD Add on´s in the store

But it would ne nice if one would answer the questions for my better understanding.

Is a map a  texture ?  for e.g. wooden surface STRUCTURE

Is Texture + Material a Shader ?

and if you have with a produkt the file type´s : 3D Object, CR2 and .jpg,  sorted in folders : Geometrie, Characters and Textures, ...

can it be that it has no STRUCTURE like skin or leather anyway ? 

Thanks

No a material is a map (sometimes called texture) + shader.  Where it gets confusing is that texture and material are often used interchangeably. 

• A material is a setting for a shader. Usually, but not always, that will involve maps/textures/images applied to some of the settings - however, there are purely procedural materials that do not use maps.

• mjc1016 said:

No a material is a map (sometimes called texture) + shader.  Where it gets confusing is that texture and material are often used interchangeably. 

thanks for your reply mjc1016. Now I am completely confused.

example: I load a shirt to a character into the scene. This file is physicaly the basic shirt plus a structure on it - So it is a Material , Right ?

Confusing is that if I want to have the shirt in blue I go to Materials and get the colour only.

Does one have an answer on the question in my previouse post:

if you have with a produkt the file type´s : 3D Object, CR2 and .jpg,  sorted in folders : Geometrie, Characters and Textures, ...

can it be that it has no structure like skin or leather anyway ?

Thanks

• A material is a setting for a shader. Usually, but not always, that will involve maps/textures/images applied to some of the settings - however, there are purely procedural materials that do not use maps.

well Richard, althought I`m not shure to have understood all of what you said, I asume this is the answer to the open question

So it is clear why Bump and Displacement adjustment does not show an effect.  Products they are not mapped dont have a structure , correct ?

• Both bump and displacement are ways of adding relief to a surface - bump (and normals) by changing the way the surface repsonds to light to give the illusion of relief, displacement by moving the surface (in Iray moving the actual or SubD vertices, in 3Delight moving freely). So without a variation (in shades of grey) to control how much above or below the true geometry level the bumped/displaced surface will be there is no real effect (displacement could move the surface uniformly in or out without any variation, but in practice DS shaders are not set to allow that; bump without variation would do absolutely nothing). Usually the variation comes from a map, and in all of the default shaders it must comes from a map, but a custom shader could use a procedural pattern to generate the different values across a surface without needing a map.