Why dont vendors list products used in their promo images

as example..the listed image..what is the hair used?

00-main-fwsa-ginnifer-hd-for-victoria-7-and-her-jewelry-daz3d.jpg
960 x 1248 - 112K

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,268

A few reasons: 1) first many artists don't do thier own promos so they don't know the products in the promo, 2) when they do, they often make them using a library of props that may stretch over many years so they don't remember, and 3) sometimes, the props and hair may be unreleased or products that are unavailable.

• Sometimes, even when we vendors list the products used in our promos, Daz doesn't always put the list on the store page. I know that's why some vendors have stopped taking the time to do so.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

Also some items aren't available here or no longer available.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Only Daz products can be listed also. Some renders are so complex you would never be able to get them all listed by the time its time for upload.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    frank0314 said:

Only Daz products can be listed also. Some renders are so complex you would never be able to get them all listed by the time its time for upload.

Some vendors, even if they just used products from their own catalog could have that problem...unless they just linked to said catalog.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

And the hairdo used looks like this: http://www.daz3d.com/rochelle-ponytail-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s in case you were still wondering.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754

Some of us make many different promos before we decide which ones to use.

Sometimes after we upload our products, when they get to the art review stage, we are asked for something different, then there is no way to edit what he had listed before, so they would be wrong.

Some shots are very complex and have a large number of different items, which are hard to list.

Those are just the reasons off the top of my head.

• And just for hairy reasons: Rochelle by OoT.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited September 2016

Some do; some don't.

But considering that it is a great sales tool,  it would be nice if basic items could be listed such as hair, or a particular outfit, or environment.  It doesn't have to be "every" item used, but if it's prominently displayed. . .   I know I've had a devil of a time trying to find items, and even purchased wrong items thinking I was buying an item I saw in a promo, so  while I can understand the problems I'd definitely be in favor of it.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • Some do; some don't.

But considering that it is a great sales tool,  it would be nice if basic items could be listed such as hair, or a particular outfit, or environment.  It doesn't have to be "every" item used, but if it's prominently displayed. . .   I know I've had a devil of a time trying to find items, and even purchased wrong items thinking I was buying an item I saw in a promo, so I'm while I can understand the problems I'd definitely be in favor of it.

I agree one-hundred percent.  A basic list would be required if customer service was really a priority.  While there is a lot to love about DAZ shopping, there are obvious areas such as this which could be improved to even further enhance sales.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,444
    Rafmer said:

And the hairdo used looks like this: http://www.daz3d.com/rochelle-ponytail-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s in case you were still wondering.

Some do; some don't.

But considering that it is a great sales tool,  it would be nice if basic items could be listed such as hair, or a particular outfit, or environment. 

There are so many promo images that come to mind that CAN'T list the hair, simply because it is from elsewhere.

The only way to be able to list much of what's used is to make a list of items that CAN be used in promo shots and only allow shots using those items (yeah, it can be as simple as must be in the Daz store and must be released products).

• mjc1016 said:

Some do; some don't.

But considering that it is a great sales tool,  it would be nice if basic items could be listed such as hair, or a particular outfit, or environment. 

There are so many promo images that come to mind that CAN'T list the hair, simply because it is from elsewhere.

The only way to be able to list much of what's used is to make a list of items that CAN be used in promo shots and only allow shots using those items (yeah, it can be as simple as must be in the Daz store and must be released products).

Would this apply to the model used to show off an outfit or hair? If so, that might potentially upset some vendors that use custom figures that aren't available for their promo art.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited September 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Some do; some don't.

Would this apply to the model used to show off an outfit or hair? If so, that might potentially upset some vendors that use custom figures that aren't available for their promo art.

Not necessarily,  if it's not listed, then it's not available, if it is listed it is.

Looking at the forum and seeing how many "what is this hair/what is this outfit"  is proof enough that at some basic level listing at least the commercially available stuff you use in a promo would be helpful, and not just to customers, because if people are buying stuff they see in pics it helps vendors as well.   I think it would be worth that little extra effort;  but it seems lots of things that could potentially increase sales seems to be "too much of a hassle", or has too many potential reasons why it wouldn't work.

At the lowest level of peer courtesy, if you're using somebody elses stuff to help sell your stuff, the least you could do is give them a bit of credit that might send a customer their way, but maybe that's just me.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
    mjc1016 said:

Some do; some don't.

Basically, any restrictions like that really wouldn't work...and yeah, I'm the one who thought up the idea.   The problem is that limiting what can/can't be used will end up creating a bigger mess.  But to get any sort of listing of what IS used would practically require something of the sort.  Also to go along with it...some sort of set of 'standard' promo pics. 

Basically, anything for clothing related, the promos would be done using the 'standard' G3F load with Toulouse Hair.   Not really something that would make most vendors happy...

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    mjc1016 said:

Some do; some don't.

Not necessarily,  if it's not listed, then it's not available, if it is listed it is.

Looking at the forum and seeing how many "what is this hair/what is this outfit"  is proof enough that at some basic level listing at least the commercially available stuff you use in a promo would be helpful, and not just to customers, because if people are buying stuff they see in pics it helps vendors as well.   I think it would be worth that little extra effort;  but it seems lots of things that could potentially increase sales seems to be "too much of a hassle", or has too many potential reasons why it wouldn't work.

At the lowest level of peer courtesy, if you're using somebody elses stuff to help sell your stuff, the least you could do is give them a bit of credit that might send a customer their way, but maybe that's just me.

Definitely. And for every person who comes to the forums to ask there are probably a LOT more than don't use the forums, that would otherwise buy that hair or outfit that they are admiring, but since it's not listed, they don't know what product it is. 

• erostewerostew Posts: 214

I like to see a list of products used also but I'm not going to argue for or against.

BUT it is worth pointing out that blaming everything on Daz is not exactly fair. Go over to Renderosity sometime and look at the product pages. A product list is far from universal. On the other hand Renderosity seems to be okay with vendors listing products from Daz when there is a list.

• pdspds Posts: 593

I know I have purchased hair, clothing, and even props/objects/environments because they were featured in a compelling promo for a "main" product. I have done so both here and at Rendo, where it does seem that items used in promos are listed more consistently, even for a competing store's products--something I've not seen done here.

For artists just jumping into this wonderful 3D world, these "also used in" lists are extremely helpful because they expose you to products that work well in conjunction with the one you might be buying that you might not even know existed, and they demonstrate the value of older products that can be given new life through updated textures/shaders.

When I first started purchasing products last year, I limited myself to what I considered the most current generations (G2/G3) because initially I didn't know older gen stuff could be made to work with the newer characters, and the older stuff, due to the textures and manner in which they were originally rendered, didn't "match" the look of the newer stuff. Now, some of my favorite items are from older generations, and I never would have considered them had I not seen them used in current promos.

For the vast majority of these secondary products, I purchased them because they were listed out in the main product promo, or were fairly easy to identify. In only a handful of cases (only three come to mind), have I done any super-sleuthing to discover the product. That may seem lazy, but my time is limited so anything that makes acquiring new products easier, increases the likelihood I'll impulse buy something that catches my eye.

Ironically, Daz does a lot to encourage impulse buying except in this one area. I appreciate all of the reasons people have stated for why secondary products aren't/can't be listed in many cases. I would just like to thank the vendors who do include such lists and encourage those who don't to reconsider. 

• mjc1016 said:

Some do; some don't.

On the other hand, I've seen a few threads where the item asked about actually was listed, so it doesn't always help.

• Maybe it isn't the vendors' responsibility to link to products used in the promos? if so, maybe DAZ could just have some interns become familiarized with all products currently being sold at the store, look at the main promo image of the most recent products, and tag "the other projects used" as some type of metadata. 

• erostew said:

I like to see a list of products used also but I'm not going to argue for or against.

BUT it is worth pointing out that blaming everything on Daz is not exactly fair. Go over to Renderosity sometime and look at the product pages. A product list is far from universal. On the other hand Renderosity seems to be okay with vendors listing products from Daz when there is a list.

It's also not fair to mention other marketplace sites when this forum covers this particular marketplace, and it is this marketplace that these customers are shopping at and referring to.  If the lack of lists at other sites bothered them I am sure they would bring up their suggestions to that particular marketplace as well. 

• I used to try to do a full list.  Then I realized that QA was cutting off 90% of it on the actual product page.  Now I just try to highlight a few hairs etc. that I think people might want.  If it's a truly gigantic product I'm not going to do it because when I assembled the store page entry I was so sick of looking at the thing that there's no way I was going to look up all 100+ products I used.

• pdspds Posts: 593

I used to try to do a full list.  Then I realized that QA was cutting off 90% of it on the actual product page.  Now I just try to highlight a few hairs etc. that I think people might want.  If it's a truly gigantic product I'm not going to do it because when I assembled the store page entry I was so sick of looking at the thing that there's no way I was going to look up all 100+ products I used.

I can imagine how frustrating that would have been to have taken the time to create a full list only to have QA remove most of it for whatever reason. I suppose it's always a situation where whatever you do there will be someone who wants more, but I certainly appreciate the gesture, even when it's not feasible to include a full list. You go out of your way to be helpful with all that you do, so thank you! :-)

• I used to try to do a full list.  Then I realized that QA was cutting off 90% of it on the actual product page.  Now I just try to highlight a few hairs etc. that I think people might want.  If it's a truly gigantic product I'm not going to do it because when I assembled the store page entry I was so sick of looking at the thing that there's no way I was going to look up all 100+ products I used.

Sickle, you are one of the more considerate and giving PA's.  In my view, I think that DAZ should shoulder the responsibility for encouraging the listing of products - at least in most cases - because it is in their best interest.

It's such a common request - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/116401/help-me-find-the-model#latest

In the above example, how hard would it have been to list the model and the hair?  My guess is that for every member who posts here looking for a support product, there are a dozen who never ask and simply give up.

Resolving this issue - 95% of the time - is not that complicated.

• mjc1016 said:

Basically, anything for clothing related, the promos would be done using the 'standard' G3F load with Toulouse Hair.   Not really something that would make most vendors happy...

You almost have to anyway if you support that shape (all outfits do support the G3F or G3M base shape).

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

A suggestion and compromise. I'm seeing a lot of the promo images in the gallery, of late. This would be the ideal place to mention associated products. Here, too, it wouldn't exclude those vendors who contract out their promo work. 

• Etrigan said:

A suggestion and compromise. I'm seeing a lot of the promo images in the gallery, of late. This would be the ideal place to mention associated products. Here, too, it wouldn't exclude those vendors who contract out their promo work. 

Perhaps, if they remember what they used by the time they post it here.