Post Render Cinematic Effects

I have recently decided to work on my skills.  I am getting results I am happy with and I know my way around Photoshop fairly well. With all of that said, I am looking for some help on adding post render cinematic effects like the ones used in the primary promo pic for SS Marcoor Medbay.  http://www.daz3d.com/ss-marcoor-medbay  (To the artist of that picture I say simply stunning. )

Specifically, I am asking for some discussion on 2 effects.  1) the tone treatment and 2)  the light bloom / glare

1) I have some processes that I use for adding tone, but nothing that looks this good. I am able to get my renders looking like the other promo shots, and now I want to add similar effects as the main picture.

2)  For the Post Lighting effects, it looks volumetric.  I understand how to simulate volumetric lighting in IRAY, and this is clearly not that effect / process. I want to learn more about Post render lighting like this . (combination glow, glare volumetric)

I understand that post render processing is not a simple task of pressing a few buttons and I am not looking for a "wonder button".  I thought a little discussion on these types of effects, and other cinematic effects in post render processing would be helpful to us noobs and learning artists. 

Thanks in advance, DM

Comments

• My opinion is there are post render effects out there to assist, After Effects and Photoshop come to mind...and both of these are highly respected tools that I use for any given project. But more importantly is the "vision" to see what you are striving for and not being satisfied until you start to see that end result...regardless of what tool you used and how you got there. I imagine you were looking for a more "technical" response but having the vision comes first, you just hammer the tools until you start to see your vision. Personally I think 60% of Photoshop's abilities are under used and that is not a knock against artist's...it just speaks to the magnitude of Photoshop's ability!

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

The Bloom, Glare and Volumetric all look like Iray's own lighting to me.

Though, with that amount of dust in the air, there must be a very high rate of "hospital aquired infections"! smiley

• dlm4001dlm4001 Posts: 190

I agree on vision and beating it out of the tools, well said. That has been my approach for years.  I do have a vision, I have a prisitine render of SS Marcoor's medbay, and my vision is to duplicate the effects in the promo for a learning experience. I see the color toning, and the lighting effects.

I coudl be wroond (I am used to it by now)....  but I don't think these are native lighting effects within Iray because the glare propogates from the light in the shape of the light. (See the corners). I will crank the luminence up very high and increase shutter speed to see if I can get that. I guess the volumetric and dust particles could be a volume in the render (the "add a volume to simulate volumetric lighting"), but, it does not look like any dust or 'godrays' that I have seen simulated in IRAY, or produced using available tutorials and kits on the market place.   This looks like a Photoshop method, or possibly a LightRoom method.

I am going to work on the Tone effects first, possibly a fill layer of blue, Soft Light, at about 25% Opaque. IF that gets closer, create a second softlight layer and apply lens blur before mixing it in.  I would like to compare this to using the Photo Filter (Cool blue or cyan) before adding some lens blur. IF that does not work, ... Levels or Curves to get the Blue Hue.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The overall bluish cast to the light is very easy to achieve with Iray...simply adjust the color temperature of the lights.

The 'dust'/sparkles actually look like fireflies to me...and that the 'ray' prop needed more time to clear up....

• dlm4001dlm4001 Posts: 190

mjc1016, Thanks,  Iray Light Color Temp... I will add that to the test list tonight.  (machine is tied up rendering at the moment.)

Now that you mention it, the dust does look like fireflies.  (in an artistic way).  I will try adding a cone shaped ray prop matching the edge angles of the light.

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

Since you are a photoshop user you might be interested in playing around with the google NIK collection for postwork:

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

they are now free and quite powerful, but you will want to go through the tutorials a bit to get the feel for how they work.

I seriously doubt those are fireflies.