AIFan re: Ultra Detailed Displacement Maps for Victoria 7

Could you please show some renders with some skin textures on top your maps? It's hard to tell what it will really look like when you just show the greyscale images. Thanks. :)

Comments

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641

Also want to know if those can be used with any character based on G3F and not just Victoria 7 without any loss of fidelity?

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2016

Could you please show some renders with some skin textures on top your maps? It's hard to tell what it will really look like when you just show the greyscale images. Thanks. :)

+1

mrinal said:

Also want to know if those can be used with any character based on G3F and not just Victoria 7 without any loss of fidelity?

+1

I'm REALLY curious about this. I've been creating and using my own displacement maps to get some nice detail to my characters (particularly on the knuckles and to give a little more depth to moles and stuff -but the AlFan maps look a LOT more detailed and intricate - so I'd be really excited to see any renders that anyone can provide of this product (hopefully some side by side/before and after). :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited September 2016

The product says it only supports V7's UV, so to use the maps on any other characters, you would first need to transfer the maps to the UV of your character. Then there would be the problem of skin details not exactly matching the displacement. I am curious as to what level of displacement sub-d is needed to get these looking good in Iray, and is there any advantage over using the hd morph for V7, or or they designed to be used together. 

Post edited by Redz on
  • Theres also no mention of "anatomical elements". I'm curious as to what happens when the extra detailed displacement of the torso meets this area - does it just suddenly all go flat?

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919

Interestingly when I add this to my cart with two other new debut items, it increases in price by 10 cents.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,161

None of the promo images indicate what render engine they were rendered with, either (as far as I could see). I'm very skeptical of getting good displacement results in Iray with a subD level that any reasonable computer could render. I'd love to be convinced by some good Iray renders and the details about the settings used in the render.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

If you're coy about using them for displacement in iray, you can always use them for very high quality and accurate bump maps. I've been using the V6 maps for displacement, bump, and converted to normals, for a number of images in my gallery. I just wish these had been made for G3F UVs, but I still bought them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569
    Jimbow said:

If you're coy about using them for displacement in iray, you can always use them for very high quality and accurate bump maps. I've been using the V6 maps for displacement, bump, and converted to normals, for a number of images in my gallery. I just wish these had been made for G3F UVs, but I still bought them.

My thoughts exactly. The V7 UVmapping is the biggest hinderence for me as I have no characters that use this mapping other than V7

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Jimbow said:

My thoughts exactly. The V7 UVmapping is the biggest hinderence for me as I have no characters that use this mapping other than V7

Indeed, very odd to use a UV that I believe only one skin uses.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Havos said:
    Jimbow said:

indeed, and not even my favourite skin; easy enough to convert, and I'm interested. I suppose I could return, but tbh, I'd rather not do that if there is enough info beforehand

• Havos said:
    Jimbow said:

Its very off-trend as well. Most PAs now have learnt to make their products G3F UV compatible, because they're more universally accessible to people with varying product libraries.

The problem with displacement maps is that they need to line up with the texture map or it looks off/weird. So it makes sense that the PA would choose a single Texture map. Certainly the V7 texture map is more used/more popular than the base G3F texture map. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

The problem with displacement maps is that they need to line up with the texture map or it looks off/weird. So it makes sense that the PA would choose a single Texture map. Certainly the V7 texture map is more used/more popular than the base G3F texture map. 

Actually no, the majority of genesis 3 characters use the base map layout. Unless the texture has details on it that correspond with the displacement details, you can use any other map with the same UV layout.

edited September 2016

Actually no, the majority of genesis 3 characters use the base map layout. Unless the texture has details on it that correspond with the displacement details, you can use any other map with the same UV layout.

Umm Isn't that the point of a displacement map? To create details that correspond with the texture map? This product likely has displacements that correspond with the V7 texture map. Hence the need for the V7 UV. If the displacement creases and bumps do not line up with the texture map it looks odd/off. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Umm Isn't that the point of a displacement map? To create details that correspond with the texture map? This product likely has displacements that correspond with the V7 texture map. Hence the need for the V7 UV. If the displacement creases and bumps do not line up with the texture map it looks odd/off. 

That's the way they are most often used in Studio, but they can be used to add 'more' detail that doesn't necessarily correspond to a particular diffuse map, but ones that are typically common to the item in question.

One thing I noticed is that these maps add a lot of creases and 'fine' details to things like the hands/fingers/etc.

Going to get it; later I'll post shots after I've converted it to G3F's default. Won't be 'till later though.

The UVs seem to fit G3F without issue; G3F on the left and V7 on the right; both at subd 4. They work on G3, but perhaps not as well. It really would be helpful to have more info; I'll wait for a few days before I decide if I'm keeping them.

I manually applied the textures to G3F, and set the displacement to 1; was a performance hit in IRAY (I don't use 3Delight)? I didn't set out to measure it, but I've gone back to check: yes there is. Some is needing 3 at the least(?) for the displacement, and some to the displacement itself.

Ly-Meleese with displacement maps.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 302K
    V7 with displacement maps.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 321K
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

Have you tried converting the maps to normals, and using a mix of both normals and lower displacement subdivision? Or even use the maps as both bump and displacement?

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
    edited September 2016
    tl155180 said:

Theres also no mention of "anatomical elements". I'm curious as to what happens when the extra detailed displacement of the torso meets this area - does it just suddenly all go flat?

I understand from this thread that seams may be an issue. Someone probably can clarify.

Post edited by mrinal on

no there aren't anatomical bits.