Content Library

harrykimharrykim Posts: 225

I know its a never ending matter. Since I am still a beginner, I just want to find out something.

I have installed DS on a new computer and have 4.9 Pro in use.

(just as Side note) Based on the "nice to have" thinking I also installed Beta, 32bit and Public Build too, which, according to Support Team, should not lead to conflicts.

Now the question: Does Your System Shows Up The Same As Mine ?

1. Hard Drive Directory - If I install Poser stuff manually to My DAZ 3D Library, new folders become created additionally ( sceenshot1). Most of the folders keep empty and installation works fine.( screenshot1)

2. Content Library - I have such allot of "Content Libraries" in one and am completely confused. All of them are different, althought some look similar. An easy example ...

(1) First Library Path: Daz Studio Formats /Daz Connect /People /Genesis2Female /Clothing /SciFi Siren Outfit ... it fits and the product images have the "wardrobe" icon in it.    (screenshot2)

Btw., Material folder below shows the same images ( dark suite) with "Material" icon.      (and take a look just below in the list to Hair. Listed here is only folder "Solo" )

(2) Second Library Path: Daz Studio Formats /Documents /My Daz 3D Library /People /Genesis2Female /Clothing /SciFi Siren Outfit ... it fits, But product and material images have Not the "wardrobe/material" icon in it, which I thought so far it has to have an icon in order to work.    (now have a look again to Hair folder. Here is listed Charm hair and Touluse hair additional to Solo    (screenshot3)

I simply should forget path 1

(3) Third Library Path: Daz Studio Formats /My Daz 3D Library /People /Genesis2Female /Clothing /SciFi Siren Outfit. Same as to see in " (1) Daz Connect" ( icons on images )  Whereas the available Hair products are similar to (2) Library Path   (screenshot4)

I sinply should forget path 1 and 2

(4) Fourth Library Path: Poser Format / My Daz 3D Library /Figures /DAZ Genesis2 Female /Clothing /SciFi Siren Outfit ... surprise surprise, you can have the dress in white. No of the other libraries shows up that. I dont understand what this prodct has to do in Poser Formats, as the dress is original DS. Also all kind of DS hair is to find in Poser Formates (except Solo) and the whole Dystopia stuff, which is also original DS. Why do I even have a My Daz 3D Library in Poser formats.

Man, I should`nt ignore even one of the pathes. Who knows what exting things are there compared to the others. And it costs just hours not days of live, fiddeling and searching. Is´nt it ?

Screenshot (1).png
1600 x 900 - 114K
Screenshot (2).png
1600 x 900 - 1008K
Screenshot (3).png
1600 x 900 - 998K
Screenshot (4).png
1600 x 900 - 1004K
Screenshot (5).png
1600 x 900 - 966K
Post edited by harrykim on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The first path, under "Daz Connect", is for items installed using Daz Connect.  The one under "My Daz 3D Library" is for items installed using DIM.  The one under "Poser Formats" is the Poser Companion Files -- you don't need them if you only use DS.

Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" sections, and post a screenshot?

• Hi Fixmypcmike,

attached is the requested screenshot and Thanks for your explanation on the different libraries.

Does we all have that huge amount on "similar" listings? I`m asking myself if it means, that I have to create an exel file, showing which way something was installed. Or alternatively to check allways 3 libraries in order not to oversee something?

Screenshot (11).png
    1600 x 900 - 129K

You shoulod remove the first line under both DS and Poser formats, that ends at Documents.  If you want a separate library for non-DIM items (e.g. non-Daz products, as well as for your own scenes and presets), you need to make sure no content library is nested inside another.

For now, it's a good idea to keep track of how you install things, since installing with Connect doesn't uninstall a DIM or manual install of the same product.  For me personally, I use Categories for everything (my own category structure, even if the product comes with default categories), so I only have to look in one place regardless of how the product was installed.

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited September 2016

thanks allot for your support and tips.  Have deleted the mention lines. What makes this step ?

And concerning nested in, ... since my example is exactely one of these things I assume that the My Daz Library under Poser has to be removed ?

First thing on my agenda is how to create a structure. In what Library do you have your structure  ... just to know where to start :)

Edit : My first question is answered immediately

Started loading a scene and got screenshot 1 ... after the scene was loaded I got screenshot 2

G2M lost every ( shader? texture? ) independed if its a DS or Poser product, G3M only the eyes which was DS original and for G3M    What now ?

Screenshot 6.png
    1600 x 900 - 178K
    Screenshot 7.png
    1600 x 900 - 787K

Can you search for "m5philliplimbs02.jpg" and give the full path to where it's actually installed?  How was Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials installed -- Daz Install Manager, Connect, or manually?

• path for requested jpg.

OS(C) - Users - Public - Public Dokuments - My Daz 3D Library - Runtime - Textures - DAZ - Characters - Genesis2 - BaseMale

I remember, when I`ve compared the different lybraries, there was a runtime folder under Dokuments. Btw. there was a Data folder too.

The Starter Essentials have been installed by DIM

I dont want to mix up things so this is just a note, in case it has to do with the current issue ... I´ve loaded a new G2M. Visualy it comes default shaded. In parameter tab adjustments you see allot of  <?> and  "multiple ..."  . Was it always that way ? ( screenshot attached )

Screenshot.png
    1600 x 900 - 489K

Yes, since you have all of the saurfaces selected you'll get Multiple and ? on surface settings that are different on some surfaces.

edited September 2016

ah ok thx, but lets come back to previous topic

You asked me for the path for the jpg. and how it was installed --- you will have had an idea behind this. Let me participate !

Deleting the lines in Content Manager makes me lost textures or shaders ( dont know whats right) in all existing scenes, and I guess they are lost forever. But the action with its impressive effect does not change that folders will be created respectively fed inside the hard drive directory (screenshot attached again).

It also did not change ( the example I`ve posted) that there are DS products, installed via DIM btw,  become sorted to Poser Library and nowhere else. Which forces me to check all the Libraries inside Content Library, in order to be sure I get all options a product provides.  

Screenshot (18).png
    1600 x 900 - 115K
  • Move the items you have highlighted, plus the Data folder at the top, into the My Daz 3D Library folder. What, if anything, is in the Daz 3D folder?

edited September 2016

Hi Richard

it is not possible to move the folders to My Daz 3D Library. Only the files inside are trying to become installed. But this is already done. Checked it and got "files allready existing".

So there is something what creates this folders additionally during installing of non DS products. It is like a "outside the system copy storage" and it stores not everything. Script for example includes Utilities like to see in screenshot 2

Concerning DAZ 3D Folder: attached screenshot shows what all is in

Screenshot (20).png
    1600 x 900 - 281K
    Screenshot (21).png
    1600 x 900 - 138K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Although it involves an extra, intermediate step, for all content purchased or obtained elsewhere, it is often advocated by myself and others to extract (unzip) the compressed archives to a temporary folder before placing the files into your content library. The foregoing allows you the opportunity to review the folder structure of the new content prior to potentially cluttering up your content library - if there are problems or inconsistencies you can correct them first.

• Ah cool, thanks for the explanation SixDs. So I possibly have a product of yours, ... and if I have it, I love it :))

I asume that when I´m in cleaning up mood, I just delete that extra files from time to time and nothing happens with the corresponding product.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I think that you must have me confused with someone else, Harry, if you believe that you have a product of mine - I'm not a vendor. :)

Insofar as cleaning things up is concerned, one of the most common problems are content that is packaged and includes higher-level folders that, if simply copied to your library, creates the nesting problem that Mike referred to earlier. The folder structure for both DAZ Studio formats and Poser formats is fairly standardized, and matching things up correctly is important, especially for new users, to avoid duplication of these standard folders. Once you become more familiar with where things go you can look at customizations if you wish. Of course, another problem you might encounter is the one that you mentioned - misspelled folder names. One key is that when moving the content to your library you should get warning messages asking if you want to merge folders for each folder being copied over. It should ask if you want to combine the Runtime folder, Data folders, etc. That is usually a good indication that things are going where they belong.

One bit of caution: avoid, if possible, making changes to the folder structure of content packages since that can often lead to " file not found" errors when loading the item in DAZ Studio. Ignoring higher level folders is fine as long as you ensure that the folders actually containing files are moved to the correct location.

edited September 2016

well SixDs, my english seams to be as limited as my DS level

I thought you are talking about the benefit of these extra folders "you and others " provides with the packages, in order user can check first if the package path is to their likes.    HaHaHa

Now I hear you.  I do this check immediately, already in my download location, and go forther with installing from package folder level the runtime is located, by simply copying to My DAZ Library. And you are right, not all packages starts at runtime so I respect only folders at runtime level and ignore the before.

If I understand correctely, you say that I have generated such nesting issue by myself. Visible due to that self generating folders. So my plan is to delete this folders, have an eye on whats happen, delete what I`ve crashed and take care in future when and why this folder creating effect ocures. And if the ship is sinking, I start from the very beginning.

Thanks for making me focused on what I can do for a well working system

edited September 2016

`

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

If you do have any trouble understanding, or being understood you could tell us what is your first language, we may have someone who can help translate.

• thanks for that kind offer. I speak german first. As long one tells me that he/she was missunderstood it should work.

On the other hand, since you frequently read text of mine, ... I hope more that others understand me