DS 4.9.1.30 Crashing issues this morning

I use DS 4.9 without Connect.  I haven't Connected once.  I've not had any problems using DS consistently.  Yet this morning everything I do causes DS to crash without warning.  I loaded up the Beach Promenade to work on a scene and get two props in there and it crashes.  I load up an recently completed scene and DS crashes.  I decide to start from scratch and dump my default load file and have the usual DS defaults in everything.  I load up Bethany 7 and start working on a new character.  I'm just about finished getting her looking like I want and ready to save and DS crashes.  I don't see anything in the logfile except the all of the Connect errors that pop up when loading a scene.  Why I get those, I don't know considering I'm not using Connect.  Below is example text and the only indication of what was happening from the logfile:

WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_12498_Every_day_Groceries_DS.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_11143_Everyday.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_13805_Everyday_1950_for_Genesis_Female_PoserCF.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_11128_Everyday_Extras.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_12811_Everyday_for_Michael_4.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_24900_Everyday_Hero_I_for_Kyle.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_8922_Everyday_Lingerie_for_the_V4_Bodysuit.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_16992_Everyday_Poses_for_Josie_PoserCF.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_8059_Everyday_Poses_for_M4.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_27947_Evie_Hair_for_Star_DS.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_11310_Evilson_M4_Unimesh_Fits.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_8785_Evo_Girl.dsx
WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_21339_Exemplar_for_the_Bandstand_Ps.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_11091_Exotic_Blades_by_Merlin.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_12158_Exotic_Movie_Dress_Textures.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_3977_Explorer_Unit.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_11009_Explosives_Pack.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_7010_ExPoHaP_A4.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_9236_Expression_and_Face_aniBlocks_DS.dsx
WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Could not adjust thumbnail path from support path: /Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_1086_Expressive_Snowman.dsx

I have pages of those types of warnings.  That is just the last bit from the most recent crash.  I haven't even loaded any of that stuff up into DS recently.  Why do I keep getting these warnings and are they related to this sudden crashing even though I've been getting those warnings since the inception of Connect?  Everything was working perfectly until this morning.  The difference between now and my last DS session last night is that I downloaded new stuff from the sale and there were some updates.  I don't even remember seeing DAZ Studio as being part of any updates.  I don't know how to check when the last update the the program there was.  Is there a way to check in DIM to see what it updated last?

Help!!!  I can't get anything done in DS today if it is going to keep crashing every time I've barely gotten started.  It shouldn't be crashing with barely anything in the scene after only just a few minutes.  I've opened DS up 3 or 4 times this morning and every single one has crashed within a few minutes with very little stuff in the scene.

Comments

• No video driver updates? Or Windows updates? If you can get there in time it may be worth trying to go to Edit>Preferences and clicking the Clear DSON Cache option in case there's some bad data in there.

• No video driver updates and no Windows updates.  Double checked and no DS updates so I'm using the latest version.  I'm not using a beta version.  I cleared the cache, worked in DS for just a couple of minutes and it crashed again.  Would uninstalling and reinstalling help perhaps?  I'd hate to have to do that, but I can.

• I doubt it (in any event uninstalling will affect only the base application, not any contenmt or plug-ins).

Do you get a crash if you just open DS and let it sit? How about adding a new primitive and moving it around a bit? Have you used a system monitor tool to check the internal termperatures of your system? Are theer any squeaks (or silences) sugesting a fan is failing or has failed?

• I opened DS and let it sit for awhile doing nothing.  It stayed open with no crashes.  I left it sit for about 20 minutes with nothing happening.  I created a primitive and moved it around with no problems, created a few more primitives and moved them around.  Put them into a group to keep them together and moved them all around at the same time.  Crashed.  No changes in my fan, water cooled system and everything is working fine.  Temps are right where they should be for my processor, about 45 to 56 C while working.  I opened a scene that I did recently that I know works as I spent over an hour setting it up and rendering.  Opened that up and rendered with no problems.  My temps were higher when rendering, but never even got close to my 80C warning setting.  Opened a new scene created some more primitives and moved them all around, did all sorts of weird things like put them in a group, move them as a group and move them individually while still in the group.  No crashes now.  Added a figure to the scene and did all sorts of things, no crashes.  I have no idea why it was crashing and I have no idea why it seems to have stopped.  

I'm going to try and do my new character I was working on again and see what happens.  I've now spent most of the day on this and haven't gotten anything done.  I'll let you know if I start crashing again.  I have no idea what the problem was or why it suddenly fixed itself.  I've never had this happen before.

• Transient (we hope) issues are always a pain to track down.

• Well, it's the first time it's happened to my and I hope the last.  Got a lot done to my character saving judiciously along the way, just in case.  Not one more crash yet.  Thanks for the help, anyway, Richard!

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2016

I really hate the see-me-once bugs in 4.9. I usually render in 4.8 because of them. I have the same experience with the log file, even after a perfect session in 4.9, the log file shows many, many warnings.

After I shut the computer down and restart, the bug goes away. But sooner or a later, a different one will take it's place.

Post edited by Petercat on
    edited September 2016

Duplicate post.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • There was someone the other day who said they were getting crashes when they tried to render. They said that support said that it was a known bug and that it is fixed in the beta. Not sure if that is related to your issue or not. Hopfully this is a line to the other thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/111911/anyone-else-have-to-run-4-9-beta-for-now#latest

• Petercat said:

I really hate the see-me-once bugs in 4.9. I usually render in 4.8 because of them. I have the same experience with the log file, even after a perfect session in 4.9, the log file shows many, many warnings.

After I shut the computer down and restart, the bug goes away. But sooner or a later, a different one will take it's place.

Well, I use Iray almost exclusively and needed to upgrade for the bug fix in 4.9 so staying with 4.8 didn't make sense although I still have a backup copy of it.

KevinH said:

There was someone the other day who said they were getting crashes when they tried to render. They said that support said that it was a known bug and that it is fixed in the beta. Not sure if that is related to your issue or not. Hopfully this is a line to the other thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/111911/anyone-else-have-to-run-4-9-beta-for-now#latest

I'm not sure that would be the same bug I experienced as I hadn't even gotten to the point of rendering in amidst all of the crashes.  Thankfully, it seems to have sorted itself out.

• While Richard had me moving primitives and basically playing around inside DS to figure out why it was crashing on me, I started doodling with this little toon guy, just playing with shaping by spinning dials as that was one of the things I was doing when things started crashing.  We never figured it out, but luckily things stopped crashing and I actually saved this little guy.  I decided to add some lights and do a proper render.  A little postwork magic and we have Richard's Little Vampire.  :)  At least, that's what I'm calling it.  ;)  Thanks, again, Richard!

Petercat said:

Well, I use Iray almost exclusively and needed to upgrade for the bug fix in 4.9 so staying with 4.8 didn't make sense although I still have a backup copy of it.

KevinH said:

There was someone the other day who said they were getting crashes when they tried to render. They said that support said that it was a known bug and that it is fixed in the beta. Not sure if that is related to your issue or not. Hopfully this is a line to the other thread.

I'm not sure that would be the same bug I experienced as I hadn't even gotten to the point of rendering in amidst all of the crashes.  Thankfully, it seems to have sorted itself out.

What did the 4.8 bug do? I render exclusively in iray in 4.8 and haven't encountered anything.

• It is a bug that only affects certain props when rendered.  I didn't upgrade until I hit upon a prop that I wanted to render and couldn't.  I can't even remember which prop it was.  One of the spaceships, I think.  Somewhere, in the forums, there is a list of know props with issues in 4.8, IIRC.

• While Richard had me moving primitives and basically playing around inside DS to figure out why it was crashing on me, I started doodling with this little toon guy, just playing with shaping by spinning dials as that was one of the things I was doing when things started crashing.  We never figured it out, but luckily things stopped crashing and I actually saved this little guy.  I decided to add some lights and do a proper render.  A little postwork magic and we have Richard's Little Vampire.  :)  At least, that's what I'm calling it.  ;)  Thanks, again, Richard!

I'm sure some people would think that was entirely apt cheeky . That's a very effective composition.

• Thanks!  I like how it turned out, a friend of mine, not quite so much.  He prefered the non-postworked version.  I ended up putting both in my gallery so he could like his preferred version.  :)

• Yes, all of a sudden my 4.9beta is starting to crash with no specific pattern. It will crash in a middle of an iray render; it will crash in just openning studio up without doing anything; it wil crash just openning a model.  There is no rhym or reason when it crashes.  I have never experienced it before, but since the last couple of months this has started to happen. Nothing has changed on my computer. I have 32gb ram; lots of fans running and no other programs on the pc such as Iclone, lightwave, etc. experience this problem.  I am using connect.