Vendors, Please Stop Including Mesh Lights

13»

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

On/Off presets for each light would personally be best.  I did that for my new car and while it was time consuming it makes perfect sense works well.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited September 2016

Revised list, with reminders from Wolf359...

• 50 Dynamic clothing control
    • 8  DynCreator (at Rendo)
    • 50 Look at my hair
    • 25 IRAY light manager
    • 20 Keymate
    • 20 Graphmate
    • 25 Texture Animator (at Rendo)
    • 18 G2 G3 pose converter

$216, so far.

A few things I don't really use, but might make it more a "full featured" program, or money spent on the "road to find out".

• 20 Animated Textures Script
    • 60 AniMate
    • 40 Garilbaldi (because LAMH won the "hair wars")

$336 to date

Post edited by wiz on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    wolf359 said:

"But isn't that really less of a Vendor issue and more of a DAZ Studio issue in general? Really, the way Iray lights are currently handled is pretty hamfisted and my guess is that we'll see something similar to like Iray Light Manager Pro fully integrated into DS 5.........."

This ^yes

As someone who does not render any Finals in Daz studio I  am not directly affected by the issue raised in this particular thread.

I would add however, that large scene management is one of the areas where DAZ studio needs major improvement.
    Yes it is great that Richard is willing to volunteer his time to "patch" this shortcoming with a script  however this is something that Daz should have already addressed the minute they started adding "Pro" to the Application title.

Daz Studio (like poser) in many ways still seems to be designed based on the old "Single figure in an empty universe for a still portrait" mindset

The Iray light manger referenced earlier should be purchased outright  and built in to the next version of Daz studio.

Here is the light lister We have maxon Cinema4D
    A critical time saver.

I'd just like to point out that Cinema4d costs $3,000. Studio does not. Unfair comparisons abound.

I'd agree with you, but for the Pro name; Daz Studio styles itself for Professionals.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    wolf359 said:

"When one is comparing the features of a quite costly application with the features of an, essentially, free application that was always designed to be supported by plugins, one has to to accept that the comparison is going to be skewed or one is simply being disingenous"

Respectfully disagree
    By the above is logic any discussion about the cost and value  of
    Autodesk Maya,Max or C4D & Lightwave is "skewed" or Disingenuos"
    because many of the high end features of those apps exist in the Free Blender 2.7x

...Zero sum thinking abound cool

You keep making these arguments that are empty once a little thought is applied to them. No matter how hard you try, you can not quantitatively compare things that are not the same.

Studio is not Cinema4D

Studio is also not Blender

These things are not superficially different; they are different in scope, usage and intended target audience.

Just as one can not be respectful and engage in mockery at the same time, one can not compare things that are significantly different without allowing for those differences.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited September 2016
    wiz said:

Revised list, with reminders from Wolf359...

• 50 Dynamic clothing control
    • 8  DynCreator (at Rendo)
    • 50 Look at my hair
    • 25 IRAY light manager
    • 20 Keymate
    • 20 Graphmate
    • 25 Texture Animator (at Rendo)
    • 18 G2 G3 pose converter

$216, so far.

A few things I don't really use, but might make it more a "full featured" program, or money spent on the "road to find out".

• 20 Animated Textures Script
    • 60 AniMate
    • 40 Garilbaldi (because LAMH won the "hair wars")

$336 to date

Still quite the bargain IMHO

particularly when you consider the quality  of the base human figures that are included comared to other apps in this price range.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • This is not a thread on the relative prices or capabilities of different applications, a topic that far too easily turns into app-warring. Please drop the subject.

• Nyghtfall said:
    Faveral said:

This scene is completely unretouched, straight Iray render. Light is coming from the outside through windows on the right, and from candles and fireplace (emissive materials) for the rest. No other light.

I couldn't possibly offer a scene like this without emissive materials and expecting customers to set up 50 or so point lights.

At least one exception to your thinking on that secod line started this thread.  Why not just save the scene without any lights, first, and then save a ready-to-render version, and include both versions in the same package?

It's already been noted. Double work, double QA, same price. Generally things are done when it is financially feasible. Unfortuanately your suggestion isn't, particularly when it's easier to remove what you don't need than make customers add their own settings.

Very well.  I understand.  Thank you.