Draping over and laying down cloths articuals/garments

I was wondering how can you take cloths pieces and shape them like draped over on a chair or pants layed on a bed, like a figure took them off and is changing or cloths on the floor like in a messy teen's room?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Which program are you using?

• There's no built-in way of taking a piece of conforming clothing and draping it like dynamic clothing.

If the clothing concerned is the MFD, then you can use the morphs in this product: http://www.daz3d.com/make-a-mess

I've had some success in making textures for the MFD that approximate to other pieces of clothing in my collection close enough for me to use that product to depict it dropped on the floor. It's an approach that works for shirts/skirts/dresses, but not really for pants.

The freebies by Beat578 over on Rendo tend to include dropped and folded morphs - https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/contributor/Beat578 - I wish more paid-for clothes would do the same.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2016

I did the image I use on the front page of my site by loading clothing items, Scaling them to almost flat on the z axis and then bending them by using the parameter dials,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited September 2016

I was wondering how can you take cloths pieces and shape them like draped over on a chair or pants layed on a bed, like a figure took them off and is changing or cloths on the floor like in a messy teen's room?

I'm assuming you're using Daz Studio here.

In DS, your ability to modify shapes is quite limited-- you can use whatever morphs the creator built into a garment, or you can do some limited modifications using D-Formers.

But to really drape them over a piece of furniture, you want to use a dynamics solver, like you'd find in Blender, Modo, Lightwave, etc. . .  Sickleyield has a nice video describing the process of creating clothing morphs in Blender, the workflow would work for other modelers. Its not a particularly easy process, and you have to be conversant with cloth simulation in a modelling app to do it. . .

see: "Creating Clothing Morphs With Blender and Daz Studio "

Post edited by crocodilian on
  • I was wondering how can you take cloths pieces and shape them like draped over on a chair or pants layed on a bed, like a figure took them off and is changing or cloths on the floor like in a messy teen's room?

The fastest and easiest way is using an external modeling program to morph them over the shape of the furniture. IF you use a modeling tool.

The second fastest way is to pose the clothes. It's the cheapest, but it's limited folding options, limited to conforming figures with bones, very fiddly, and produce typically unrealistic results. 

The conventional way to drape clothing realistically over anything in any CG tools, is to use dynamic fabric control.

There are various dynamic cloth plugins that work inside Daz but they are not officially supported. I have responded to your post yesterday recommending that you google search two plugin names, unfortunately my OMG-super-criminal suggestion has been erased from highly moderate forum police action for totally light-hearted reasons.

If you are actually looking for realistic, professional draping solution, check out this forum post on dynamic cloth solutions (where you will find clues of the unmentionable names prohibited here!) 

Cheers and good luck to composing your messy clothes on floor scene! 

smiley

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897
    edited September 2016

VWD + Daz bridge lets you take any conforming clothes (or, well, anything, really) and convert them to a dynamic clothes you can drape.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on