Dynamic Cloth Solutions

xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,770
edited August 2016 in The Commons

This product does not show an example of the particular purpose I need it for; so, I was hoping someone who has worked with it will share about its usefulness.

Specifically, I need to put realistic folds in shirt-arms and pants-legs where they are bent, the kind of thing Luthbel puts on all his cloth garments. Without it, clothed Daz figuresno matter how perfect the lighting, skintones, and posinglook like SIMS.

See Page 2 for the new direction of this thread.

Post edited by xyer0 on

Comments

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

I'd love to know this too as I have this wishlisted.

My current solution is to convert clothing to Dynamic and have it re-drape in hopes that it re-creates natural folds but that's not always the case (and sometimes the process is slow and tedious.)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,770
    JeremyD said:

My current solution is to convert clothing to Dynamic and have it re-drape in hopes that it re-creates natural folds but that's not always the case (and sometimes the process is slow and tedious.)

I downloaded DynCreator yesterday, and I'm spending the weekend sussing out what it can do for me. Does it EVER happen that natural folds are created by this method? Even if it puts some gravity in the clothes, without the folds I have a SIMS. I can't even use them in the background with DOF because they still look corny. A lot of the offending outfits are Daz Originals that I got in Pro Bundles. I'd like for the Pro Bundles to have the highest quality gear.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I own this product so I'll give you my impressions.

The product works as an external dynamics simulator, by taking poser-based obj files and simulating the draping of the dynamic object over a static object/figure. The resultant file can be re-imported back into DAZ as a morph.

The simulation itself may take a bit of time depending on your system since it's a draping calculation, but the results are fairly acceptable.

Like other 3rd party 'dynamic' products on the market, it suffers from the same buttons and seam limitations, in that any unwelded components will separate and/or fall off.

The main advantage of this product is that you don't have to start in T-pose for the simulation to work. It can generally work with any pose and orientation.

mtl1 said:

The product works as an external dynamics simulator, by taking poser-based obj files and simulating the draping of the dynamic object over a static object/figure. The resultant file can be re-imported back into DAZ as a morph.

The simulation itself may take a bit of time depending on your system since it's a draping calculation, but the results are fairly acceptable.

Like other 3rd party 'dynamic' products on the market, it suffers from the same buttons and seam limitations, in that any unwelded components will separate and/or fall off.

The main advantage of this product is that you don't have to start in T-pose for the simulation to work. It can generally work with any pose and orientation.

Thank you so much for the detailed analysis. Have you ever had occasion to use it in a case where folds/creases were created because of limbs bending?

• Well, shoot. I was all set to put this on my wishlist, but it's Windows only. :/ 

Guess I'll just have to work with DynCreator... 

edited August 2016
    xyer0 said:
    mtl1 said:

Thank you so much for the detailed analysis. Have you ever had occasion to use it in a case where folds/creases were created because of limbs bending?

Not exactly. I experimented with it a while ago with a "bending horizontally" pose, which created acceptable wrinkles and dangling/draping cloth... but also revealed that the clothing item in question was not seamed where I expected it to be :/

I could do a test again tonight, if I can remember to do so :) Feel free to send me a PM to remind me if I don't have something up by tonight or tomorrow.

Well, shoot. I was all set to put this on my wishlist, but it's Windows only. :/ 

Are you on OSX? Not sure if you want to Parallels just for Wrinkle3D but that's always an option...

Post edited by mtl1 on

Thank you so much, kind sir, this is most agreeable to me.

Max

Well, this is a bit of a problem. Wrinkle3D is crashing whenever I choose the clothing model. I recall fixing this issue almost a year ago, but I can't remember the solution for the life of me :(

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

The best use of Wrinkle3D is to pin the buttons and suchlike before draping. You can do this via a material selection and by brush. It's not bad at all for giving fabric a draped shape after you've posed it, but can be slow depending on how many polys it's colliding with and how many polys it's cloth-simulating.

mtl1 said:

Well, this is a bit of a problem. Wrinkle3D is crashing whenever I choose the clothing model. I recall fixing this issue almost a year ago, but I can't remember the solution for the life of me :(

A recurrent issue with Daz. Thanks for trying.

Jimbow said:

The best use of Wrinkle3D is to pin the buttons and suchlike before draping. You can do this via a material selection and by brush. It's not bad at all for giving fabric a draped shape after you've posed it, but can be slow depending on how many polys it's colliding with and how many polys it's cloth-simulating.

That's useful to know if I get it.

I partially think it's due to my current setup and the C++ distribution I have on my computer. I can install Wrinkle and test it on my secondary laptop to see if it works. If not, it may be some compatibility issue with Win10 that I wasn't aware of...

xyer0 said:
    JeremyD said:

I downloaded DynCreator yesterday, and I'm spending the weekend sussing out what it can do for me. Does it EVER happen that natural folds are created by this method? Even if it puts some gravity in the clothes, without the folds I have a SIMS. I can't even use them in the background with DOF because they still look corny. A lot of the offending outfits are Daz Originals that I got in Pro Bundles. I'd like for the Pro Bundles to have the highest quality gear.

Sometimes I'm able to create nice wrinkles -- but it's mostly because my figure is wearing something flowy and her pose is exagerated, so the clothes drape more dramatically. I haven't found a fool proof method yet. Slightly OT but with other dynamic plug ins in development like VWD where you can pull and push the fabric around the figure as it drapes, I'm hoping that'll create a more believable look. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,397
    edited August 2016

Don't forget mcjcasual's free 'mcjelevate" can also be used to create wrinkles.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    mtl1 said:
    xyer0 said:
    mtl1 said:

Not exactly. I experimented with it a while ago with a "bending horizontally" pose, which created acceptable wrinkles and dangling/draping cloth... but also revealed that the clothing item in question was not seamed where I expected it to be :/

I could do a test again tonight, if I can remember to do so :) Feel free to send me a PM to remind me if I don't have something up by tonight or tomorrow.

Well, shoot. I was all set to put this on my wishlist, but it's Windows only. :/ 

Are you on OSX? Not sure if you want to Parallels just for Wrinkle3D but that's always an option...

Might work with CrossOver also. Currently they have a 66% discount offer for both the Mac and Linux versions, but only one more day left:

https://deals.macappware.com/sales/crossover-for-linux-free-phone-support

edited August 2016

LOL I know what I was doing wrong... I was hitting the wrong button, causing it to crash :( I feel kind of dumb now.

edit: This was *also* the same mistake I made last year... :P

At any rate, I don't have my OBJs on my laptop, so I'll post things tonight.

Post edited by mtl1 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    mtl1 said:

LOL I know what I was doing wrong... I was hitting the wrong button, causing it to crash :( I feel kind of dumb now.

A program shouldn't crash if you hit the wrong button (especially not if you can lose a lot of work if it does) but it seems to be a common problem with his software.

So... I've been having trouble finding a clothing item that *doesn't* have pre-wrinkles on it already. Most of my wardrobe in DAZ bend and wrinkle quite well already, without the use of dynamics or Wrinkle3D. I ended up with a bodysuit to demonstrate how the program works.

The program does draping and macro-wrinkles/folds very well, but micro-folds are an issue. That's mostly a mesh issue that many dynamics implementations haven't been able to sort out. In fact, most of the pre-made wrinkles in most of my wardrobe rival the ones that get generated in Wrinkle3D. 

suit2-wrinkled.png
    720 x 1280 - 717K
    suit2-nowrinkle.png
    720 x 1280 - 789K
    suit-wrinkled.png
    720 x 1280 - 412K
    suit-nowrinkle.png
    720 x 1280 - 486K
    edited August 2016

Thanks for the demo, mtl1. The skintight nature of a bodysuit does not afford the opportunity for the kind of folds I seek. Although many items include pre-wrinkles, almost as many of those lack bend folds (great piano player BTW). For example, Casual Winter Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s) has pre-wrinkles. But, as pictured here, there are no double/triple folds/blousing at the edges of the inner elbow or inner knee that occur naturally with loose (or even tight) clothing. I appreciate all the effort you've expended. Thanks for the help.

Below is an example of clothing (the jacket) that has these types of folds.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2016
    xyer0 said:

Thanks for the demo, mtl1. The skintight nature of a bodysuit does not afford the opportunity for the kind of folds I seek. Although many items include pre-wrinkles, almost as many of those lack bend folds (great piano player BTW). For example, Casual Winter Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s) has pre-wrinkles. But, as pictured here, there are no double/triple folds/blousing at the edges of the inner elbow or inner knee that occur naturally with loose (or even tight) clothing. I appreciate all the effort you've expended. Thanks for the help.

Below is an example of clothing (the jacket) that has these types of folds.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that nearly every 'dynamic' clothing simulator out there would be incapable of creating the micro-folds that you're looking for. It would definitely create the droops behind knees or under arms when lifted though.

I can simulate some other pieces of clothing if you'd like me to perform further tests. Just send me a PM :)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

Keep in mind that folds (and the size of said folds) are dependent on the mesh resolution of the item you're trying to create wrinkles on. If it's a lower resolution item, you won't be able to get small "micro" folds. If the item is high resolution, the folds will look better.

Laurie

mtl1 said:
    xyer0 said:

Yeah, I'm almost certain that nearly every 'dynamic' clothing simulator out there would be incapable of creating the micro-folds that you're looking for. It would definitely create the droops behind knees or under arms when lifted though.

I can simulate some other pieces of clothing if you'd like me to perform further tests. Just send me a PM :)

I'll be researching for that when I get a break.

AllenArt said:

Keep in mind that folds (and the size of said folds) are dependent on the mesh resolution of the item you're trying to create wrinkles on. If it's a lower resolution item, you won't be able to get small "micro" folds. If the item is high resolution, the folds will look better.

Laurie

Thanks for the reminder. I usually convert to high resolution before attempting this, but I have forgotten on occasion and wondered what went wrong.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

I was just logging in to say that, Laurie.  I second Laurie's statement...

Wrinkle 3D is an O.K. cloth simulation product (own and use), but it pales in comparison with VWD.  And, yes, you can do small "micro" folds in VWD.  It has a subdivision tessellation algorithm built in with variable levels which you can set to your desired density (like Marvelous Designer's adjustable tessellation [particle density]).  However, as is inherent with most simulation software, there is a tradeoff in speed and handling dependent on one's available hardware (the beefier your machine, the easier it is to work with high density meshes).

Both software have wind, the ability to lock vertices/polygons from the simulation, material selections, and the ability to custom select parts of meshes.  But, only VWD has Marvelous Designer style grab-n-drag mesh around while simulating.  Also, the ability to pull mesh out of itself if there are any mesh self-penetrations.

A couple of example images of medium density mesh in VWD using Wind function, pull/push mesh, and user directed draping onto floor:

Wind Function

Wind and Push/Pull

User helped draping on floor

I have an example of bend folds on the old Poser4 Dork Duster Jacket that I utilized the Sub-D function in VWD for better folds, but they are not micro, because I kept the mesh at medium density.  I will fetch the images from my workbox, so you can see the results, as well as an example of the medium density tessellation from the low-poly base.

Go purchase VWD, and the DAZ Studio Bridge for VWD.  You won't be dissapointed.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,291

What does the acronym VWD mean?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

Virtual World Dynamics, which is the screen name of the creator :).

Laurie

Omigod I need VWD.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for the Daz Studio version.

AllenArt said:

Laurie

Thanks, I see it is a Carrara thing. :(

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,090
    barbult said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

No, there's the main program which works with Poser by default, and bridges to use it with Carrara and DS (the DS one has just been released).

Leana said:
    barbult said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

No, there's the main program which works with Poser by default, and bridges to use it with Carrara and DS (the DS one has just been released).

Oh! Is Poser required to use the DS one? (I only have DS).

• JeremyD said:

Omigod I need VWD.

I'm (im)patiently waiting for the Daz Studio version.

I think I saw that it was released today at the other R place. You need to buy two products. VWD and the bridge from Studio.

• It is a standalone program. It was originally designed to work with Poser and (from what I can understand) the bridges act as Python translators for their respective software. So, to get it to work in DS, you would need the program (either full or lite) and the bridge, but not Poser.

Now, if only I can get my parole officer to look the other way while I burglar a couple of houses I may be able to afford Star 2, Terradome 3 and VWD and Daz Bridge. Maybe.