More real looking skin texture(too smooth)

Ok, so I'm useing Gen3, was rendering a closeup image of a ring on a finger, and I noticed something. He skin has no texture to it.

Like, if you look that close at your own hand you'll see all these tiny little wrinkles, bumps, dips, and even teeny tiny hairs... I recall I use to do something to the skin(and tongue) surfaceses on V4 and M4 to make them more lumpy and real looking. can i do that with Gen3? Is there something I can do to make my gen3 models skin look more realistic?

Comments

• MidyinMidyin Posts: 221

i'll just keep experimenting i guess...

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

Realistic skin texture depends on many things.

How was the texture created. Was it painted from scratch or were photo references used? I think most models use Photo references. Then the question is how much editing was done to the photo references when creating the skin texture. The artist may have retouched something that he/she deemed not nice looking, like tiny hairs. Or when using real life photo references, sometimes the details get lost in the creation process when you're combining images together to create the skin texture.

Have you looked into the HD morphs? I never bough an HD-add-on but they might be what you're looking for.

Yeah actually. I'me useing HD Jazmine and there is an HD Morph Slider one for the face and one for the body. I slid them both to 100%, but nothing seemed to have happened..

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

@Midyin  "Ok, so I'm useing Gen3, was rendering a closeup image of a ring on a finger, and I noticed something. He skin has no texture to it."

I'd say the skin isn't installed correctly. Raiya has a justifiably great reputation for skin and even the promo images for Jazmine show detail in the fingers.

The attached image is Sapphire HD (don't have Jazmine). Iray skin, Renderstudio HDRI. No changes to SubD, skin texture, maps, etc. No attempt at perfect "dramatic" lighting. Were you expecting more detail than this?

Sapphire HD Standard Skin, HDRI.png
    750 x 600 - 522K
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Try increasing the strenth of the normal map.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2016
    Midyin said:

Yeah actually. I'me useing HD Jazmine and there is an HD Morph Slider one for the face and one for the body. I slid them both to 100%, but nothing seemed to have happened..

Do you mean "nothing happened in the Viewport" or "nothing happened in the render"? The visibility of HD morphs in the Viewport are very dependent on the SubDivision Level setting (on the Parameters tab, General>Mesh Resolution). You won't usually see any detail to an HD morph unless the SubD is at least 2 or 3, and not all characters load with the SubD properly set — e.g the default for a pristine Genesis3 figure is a SubD of 1. If you dial up the HD morph manually instead of using a Character preset, that will not affect the SubD setting.

A cautionary note; if your scene has too many high-poly objects like Genesis figures, and their SubD settings are too high, it is possible to crash D|S. Remember that each time you nudge the SubD up by 1, you quadruple the system memory needed to hold the object data. If you're rendering in Iray, this may also blow past your graphics card's VRAM and the render will fall back to (slow) CPU mode.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited September 2016

@SpottedKitty: I'm trying that now. Thanks for telling me about that I honestly never knew what that slider was for. lol

@FastBike1: The problem I was having was that my model was coming out super shiny and smooth. I tried adjusting things like the Specular and the Glossyness, but nothing was working, so ended up setting the Glossy Color to black just to get the furnature in the room to stop reflecting off her like she were mage of glass or porciline.. XD

Update:

No dice. I'm going to try Khorys sugestion and see it that helps.... Ummm @Khory, When you say "Normal Map" exactly what would that slider be named?... XD

Post edited by Midyin on
  • gederixgederix Posts: 390

It is possible that skin does not have normal maps, or it does but they did not automatically load. If the latter you can load them by browsing to the figure in your content library (or finding it in your smart content then right clicking on it and selecting 'show in content library'), then going to the materials folder and see if theres an option to load normal maps (normals on, or something similar). If no normals try increasing the bump strength in the surfaces tab (same place you would find thenormals you were asking about).

Hard to help otherwise without seeing what you are referring to insofar os no details to the texture, there should be.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

@Midyin "The problem I was having was that my model was coming out super shiny and smooth. I tried adjusting things like the Specular and the Glossyness, but nothing was working, so ended up setting the Glossy Color to black just to get the furnature in the room to stop reflecting off her like she were mage of glass or porciline.. XD"

With the default Iray skin for JAzmine, you shouldn't have to adjust anything. The skin in my image has not been "adjusted". If the skin in your render is reflective, something else has been set wrong.