Why does DAZ make the perfect the enemy of the good?

Every time I open DAZ Studio, I go ahead and connect to my DAZ account.  And then I see this on the status bar: 'Updating metadata...'

But then, when it's all done, I get this: 'Metadata update failed.  524 items succeeded, 1 item failed.'

So, somebody, tell me: why, just because one update in over 500 was unsuccessful, the entire process is deemed to have 'failed', and will have to be re-run the next time I start DAZ Studio?

Or, should I simply stop connecting at all?

Comments

• It won't rerun the whole process, it will check for updates on each connection and will attempt to download any it finds; only updates that fail (which can be idnetified by the log and reproted to Daz) will be attempted repeatedly.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

I get 3650 items updating metadata each and every time I open Daz Studio.... and 27 failing. I get the other error connecting to cms (but it does) I forget the wording but its been seen by other users. I just get used to it and hope maybe it all will be better when version 5 gets here. No I haven't spent time looking at the metadata errors because I only use smart data on rare occasions. 

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

For all of us who don't let our art computers go online, is there some way we can locate the metadata and product updates, download them, and add them manually?

So far the lack hasn't caused any problems except for the Iray Ranger thing. But still...

• Petercat said:

For all of us who don't let our art computers go online, is there some way we can locate the metadata and product updates, download them, and add them manually?

So far the lack hasn't caused any problems except for the Iray Ranger thing. But still...

DIM should give you the actual product updates, but not necessarily any metadata updates that don't affect the content.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

I checked the log file, as suggested, and found something..., interesting:

2016-36-31 08:36:19.230 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Query (UPDATE "product" SET name = 'Fantasy Wrap for Genesis', default_name = 'Fantasy Wrap for Genesis', store_id = 1, token = '13522', artists = '3D Universe,DAZ 3D,xenic101', description = '', guid = '03e6acd6-fdca-4884-b1d0-b8f2687d6bf8', meta_hash = '288ec18e1a1ae65cedc5c99d5cdc0591', file_hash = '1d231304142495cde76b7aa220cd27f3', thumbnail_path = '', thumbnail_hash = '', last_update = '2015-10-14 06:47:38', date_purchased = '2014-01-15 04:17:28', date_installed = '2016-08-31 13:36:19', release_date = '2013-02-14 00:00:00', group_num = 0, hide = 'f', is_vendor = 't', has_cloud_meta_data = 't', is_installed = 'f', is_cloud_owned = 't', needs_update = 'f', normalized_name = 'fantasy wrap for genesis', normalized_name_first_letter = 'F' WHERE id = 10934) failed with exception: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "product_guid_key"
    DETAIL:  Key (guid)=(03e6acd6-fdca-4884-b1d0-b8f2687d6bf8) already exists.

2016-36-31 08:36:19.230 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "product_guid_key"
    DETAIL:  Key (guid)=(03e6acd6-fdca-4884-b1d0-b8f2687d6bf8) already exists.

2016-36-31 08:36:19.230 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(655): sync completed with errors, 520 items succeeded, 1 items failed.
    2016-36-31 08:36:19.230 Metadata update failed: 520 items succeeded, 1 items failed.

Let's set aside, for a moment, the fact that the SQL appears to be attempting to do something it shouldn't (I could understand the unique-constraint error on an attempt to insert, but this is an update; the key values are supposed to already be there!), but take a look at the date-stamp on those messages.

What, exactly, is the 36th month of the year 2016?  On what planet?

But still (and my original question), why the all-or-nothing status message at the end?  Five hundred twenty of five hundred twenty-one updates were successful; but the update is still deemed to have failed.

• On the time format, from the Private Build Change log:

• Fixed an error in the format string for timestamps in the log; use yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.zzz instead of yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.zzz; MM for month vs mm for minutes

The specific item should be reported to Daz, with the info from the log.

I'm not sure why the status  bar says failed rather than something like partially succeeded or some errors, but it's always going to be tricky to decide on the phrasing - and it does give the number of actual failures.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Petercat said:

DIM should give you the actual product updates, but not necessarily any metadata updates that don't affect the content.

Okay, but is there a list of products that have been updated? The forum thread here has thousands of comments, and they tend to wander. I need every update since I built my computer on June 10!

• No, there isn't a list as far as I know - sometimes, but not always, there will be a note at the bottom of the readme page (under resolved issues).