0 degrees rotated dome

If one loads a Genesis 3 model in DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro and leaves the dome rotated at 0 degrees are the character facing due north or due south? I think that a facing due south because in the late evenings their shadows are being somewhat heaviliy and longly cast to the southeast of them (if they are facing due south) but in the early morning their shadows are short and cast just behind them and to the northwest. This is on Summer Solstice in the Sun & Sky settings of the iRay renderer. Thanks.

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

As far as I can make out the model faces North and the camera South so the sun rises on the left of the viewport and sets on the right.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited August 2016

OK, so I have it backwards then. The camera though reverses the image though right?

I am rendering 24 images using Sun & Sky with models loaded a 0,0,0 and moved east or west slightly to allow all of them in the render. The dome is at 0 degrees and the camera I facing them on Summer Solstice.

I guess it would be reversed south of the Equator.

I have rendered 23 of 24 hours with Sun & Sky and was just looking to situate the renders.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

It wouldn't matter which side of the Equater you were on the sun will still rise left to right but it would be the Winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere and the sun would be lower in the sky depending on the Latitude.

edited August 2016
    Fishtales said:

It wouldn't matter which side of the Equater you were on the sun will still rise left to right but it would be the Winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere and the sun would be lower in the sky depending on the Latitude.

Hmmm, left to right depends on if you are facing the equator so I guess if the characters are always facing due north when DAZ loads them and the camera due south the sun is rising to the left of the camera but the right of the characters.

So let me figure this out if I'm taking a picture of someone facing north, the sun will be to my left but on their right and will show up in the left of the picture when you look at it. If they are facing south and I am facing north the sun rise will be on my right but their left but show up in the picture to the right.

The models must be facing south and a right angle drawn straight from the equator to the north pole would be 90 degrees N or 90 degrees S and to face 90 N or 90 S is 180 from the other.

The sun always rises in the East and sets in the West no matter where you are on Earth :) South and North are the same whether in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern. If the character is facing North and the camera is in front then the sun will always rise on the left side of the image/right side of the character. If you want the sun to rise on the left side of the character/right side of the image then turn the character 180º and move the camera 180º so that they are looking South and North respectively.

edited August 2016
    Fishtales said:

The sun always rises in the East and sets in the West no matter where you are on Earth :) South and North are the same whether in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern. If the character is facing North and the camera is in front then the sun will always rise on the left side of the image/right side of the character. If you want the sun to rise on the left side of the character/right side of the image then turn the character 180º and move the camera 180º so that they are looking South and North respectively.

I don't. That's why I wrote out in long hand what was in my renders., Now if I find out later that the images are reversed in a camera like they are when they goes through the lens to strike the retina, oh well.

What you are trying to do is First Person Perspective which isn't possible through a camera pointing at the Character. The camera would need to be set to the characters eyes to get what you want, either that or it would need to be behind the character so that the view was of the characters back.