Share your tips with the lurkers

RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625
edited August 2016 in New Users

Daz has and does make 3d pretty accessable to people who are hobbyists with limited resources. Since I practice thrift with a passion, I'd like some feedback on my ideas to make the most of my money with Daz Studio. Firstly, I joined the PC club. Biggest way to save everyday. Then, I like to tinker. I bought clones and things to fit older items to the newer models better or more quickly. I got the basic morphs. I got some not so basic morphs, can never have too many of those. For G3 I started with the female only stuff as I rarely use guys in renders. I figure I can add his stuff later (on sale!). I buy seamless textures I can make shaders out of. I have both Gimp and Photoshop Elements handy. Sometimes freebies won't open without elements if it was bundled up photoshop. Freebies! I love dreampaint and was going to see how his older stuff looked with some new shaders applied. Shaders, I like those too, especially the ones in PC+. I have more fun morphing, fitting, and coloring the items than I do building scenes or rendering. So I decided splurging on a few really nice scenes would probably be a good idea when I can. It works for me because I like to tinker.

There was a thread asking for point and click functions in an easy mode. If I bought character, if I bought an outfit for that character, if I bought poses, if I bought a scene or dropped in a free background, it would be easy mode. My daughter uses it this way. People who have deadlines use it this way. And it is great and fun to do renders this way. Daz helps organize and install everything. I sorted the clothing and hair items based on model in Daz studio and my daughter said it saved her tons of time. I think I'd save tons of money even if I paid full price (PC+ full price ofcourse) and bought things on demand out of the shop and only bought what I needed to complete a render. But the problem is I enjoy doing recolors and making my own characters and I want to build a library of things to build scenes and recolor clothes. I have thought it is too bad that people don't need backgrounds anymore because its doable to buy things and render scenes. That would be me, making backgrounds or character morphs.

What saves you money or time and what would you like to share with new users? How do you work? Tips and more tips for the lurkers please!!! I want to get a thread going. I don't think new people need an easy mode, they just need some tips to get the most fun out of their time and money. I am still new enough to want advice on this too.

Post edited by RitaCeleste on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993

If you want to get most out of the figures, get GenX and its addons. You can get any shape/morpg (except for the HD morphs) transferred between all generations. Also, the Skin batch converters (they would need the "V4 for G2", etc.) are a great resource to use your skins across the generations. G3 needs special treatment, of course.

These tools are an investment, but as you can use character skins and even characters far better, it's a saver on the long run.

• Thanks! I was wondering about those. I keep thinking about modeling but with so many great models and characters and morphs available, I have yet to really need to learn that.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I love skin builder and sim tenero's character randomizer. The skin builder is for G2f and genesis not G3f but hopefully coming soon.  And the randomizer works on anything that has morphs.  Between the two I have an unlimited amount of characters I can make that are totally unique.  Plus, they are just fun.  Also, I love light sets. Light sets make my life so much easier.  I think its really important the everyone learns HOW the lights work and has a good basic knowledge of how lights work (even with light sets you will need adjustments etc). But for me, I am not that fond of the time I have to spend on lighting so light sets cut my work flow in half.

• Yeah, I am clueless about lighting.  Someone was talking about lighting when I was even newer and I just zoned out, way over my head.... Perhaps with a few light set I won't be so afraid to render. I have the Skin Builder for G1 and G3F. I love it and am waiting on the G3 one. I haven't tried the randomizer but I bet it would be perfect for crowd scenes where you needed random people who actually look diverse. Thank you.