Unused morphs - can they slow down the machine?

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Hello, can or do unused morphs of a character slow down the machine?

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

Not on rendering but they are bound too elsewhere on many activities in DAZ Studio (and so also your computer generally).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited August 2016

Not for characters in DS native formats.  Morphs in Poser formats require memory even if they aren't used; those in DS formats aren't loaded into memory until they're dialed away from the default value zero.

[Edited to correct "default value" to "zero".]

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Not for characters in DS native formats.  Morphs in Poser formats require memory even if they aren't used; those in DS formats aren't loaded into memory until they're dialed away from the default value zero.

So if morphs for g3f are at zero (Zev0 morhps) for example are at zero they don`t use memory, right?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    cosmo71 said:

So if morphs for g3f are at zero (Zev0 morhps) for example are at zero they don`t use memory, right?

Correct.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

To be pedantic, there is memory used for the Qt slider and UI elements but nothing is used for the morph data itself.  There is nothing to "slow down" the machine.

Kendall

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

Most Poser figures use injection poses to load morphs so you can just load the ones you are using. For example the ++ morphs for the Gen 4 figures have folders full of injection poses for the morphs, but since I'm lazy I usually just click the load them all pose.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

Hmm. I was told they did cause lag when loading the figures.  So this is not true? I have always found trimming them down has helped load times. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Hmm. I was told they did cause lag when loading the figures.  So this is not true? I have always found trimming them down has helped load times. 

The more morphs you have installed for a Genesis figure, the slower it will load.  However we are talking a difference of a few seconds between an empty Genesis and one with a ton of morphs.  I have a saved scene with G2F in it that has no textures.  I use it for testing out new characters.  It will always load with any new morphs and has always loaded very quickly no matter how many characters and morphs I have added and my G2F has more then any other of my Genesis figures.  But if a morph is not dialed in, it does not use any extra memory.

• To be pedantic, there is memory used for the Qt slider and UI elements but nothing is used for the morph data itself.  There is nothing to "slow down" the machine.

Kendall

In fact the parameter sliders are not, if I understand the explanation correctly, stored as widgets but as image placeholders which are repalced with a true widget only when they have focus. The property itself does use some memory, but the overwhelming proportion is the morph deltas which are not loaded until the property is given a non-zero value (after which theya re held until the scene is cleared, since even if zeroed or if the figure is deleted they might be restored by an undo).