Older Hair

nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

How and what are people using to adapt older hairstyles for V4 and genesis to Gen2 and Gen 3 models?  I see people using older hair styles like Petite Fleur on older models and I have yet to get any of those styles to work on anything.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on

Comments

• The easiest solution is usually to load an old Hair style and position it on the Head of the model by hand. 

Afterwards - you PARENT it to the Head, instead of using "Fit to...". You can use the Scale sliders to adjust the hair so it roughly fits the figure.

A parented object will follow its "parent" around. So if the Head moves, the hair will follow it. 

Does this answer your question?

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

The easiest solution is usually to load an old Hair style and position it on the Head of the model by hand. 

Afterwards - you PARENT it to the Head, instead of using "Fit to...". You can use the Scale sliders to adjust the hair so it roughly fits the figure.

A parented object will follow its "parent" around. So if the Head moves, the hair will follow it. 

yes. parent the hair to the head.

Then lastly, use an Iray hair shader to update the look.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

Does this answer your question?

Possibly.  I'm finding that matching some hair to the head is incredibly tedious. For example with the Petite hair, when I do a practice render it's always slightly off, either too large or not covering the head correctly.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,642

You'll often need to adjust the scaling - x-scale and z-scale especially - to make it fit the different head shape.

(Or you could load V4/M4 hair onto Genesis, use the autoconvert, save just the hair, load it onto Genesis 2 and use the auto-convert from Genesis option - might work, though might also be tedious).

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I hide everything but the scalp (make it transparent in the surface tab) and that way I can see how the scalp is fitting on the head.

• You'll often need to adjust the scaling - x-scale and z-scale especially - to make it fit the different head shape.

(Or you could load V4/M4 hair onto Genesis, use the autoconvert, save just the hair, load it onto Genesis 2 and use the auto-convert from Genesis option - might work, though might also be tedious).

Pretty much this. you have to scale the hair and adjust it manually so it fits OR go through the auto-fitting process on Genesis, then Genesis 2, then finally genesis 3. It's a tedious process at first, so be prepared for it. Auto-fitting is not always the best solution - sometimes it will break the Pose Controls on the hair or do weird stuff, so... its not always the best solution. Parenting is the safest way even though it takes some time to get the hair just right.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

As a last resort, if the hair's suitable for a smoothing modifier then that can help keep the hair from being inside the figure.