The most "un-Amazing" sales

Who was the bright light who came up with today's Amazing sales? Seriously you have to buy 3 items to get just 20% off? You don't get 80% off until you buy 12 or more? I'll save my cash and wait for the Premier Artist sale!

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079

Who was the bright light who came up with today's Amazing sales? Seriously you have to buy 3 items to get just 20% off? You don't get 80% off until you buy 12 or more? I'll save my cash and wait for the Premier Artist sale!

It sounds like a lot, but there are PC+ products in there, that will end up being $0.60 at 80% off. So while I, too, was surprised to see this sale, it can turn out to be good.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Ati said:

It sounds like a lot, but there are PC+ products in there, that will end up being $0.60 at 80% off. So while I, too, was surprised to see this sale, it can turn out to be good.

I'm with the OP.

Yeh it could be good, but very often these require time and effort to work it out; I don't have that time tbh.

But to be fair, I'm not really interested in pre G3 now, I have rarely bought anything.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

I cleaned out pretty much everything from my Toon-Wishlist at 80% off; getting to 10 items. Then I discovered the Chip&Cookietaurs, which would've ended up on my wishlist if I had noticed them earlier, so... 12 carton items, no problem.

Now, 12 Genesis items, that's a challenge. There's just one Gensesis item still on my wishlist, which didn't even qualify it for any discount. Next sale, more luck.

I also agree that 12 items is quite a lot; even 9 items for the 60% off is a lot, when you can get 60% off discounts more or less regularly throughout the year. I guess they are experimenting to see where our "pain point" is, at which a sale will turn sour.

But if anything, DAZ3D has taught me patience, and I'm "hoarding" 822 items on my wishlist. The introduction of G3 has, fortunately, made me spend a lot less, as I'm still mostly using G1/G2. I'm also training myself to do less instabuy, though some items are too hard too resist.

BeeMKay said:

I cleaned out pretty much everything from my Toon-Wishlist at 80% off; getting to 10 items. Then I discovered the Chip&Cookietaurs, which would've ended up on my wishlist if I had noticed them earlier, so... 12 carton items, no problem.

Now, 12 Genesis items, that's a challenge. There's just one Gensesis item still on my wishlist, which didn't even qualify it for any discount. Next sale, more luck.

I also agree that 12 items is quite a lot; even 9 items for the 60% off is a lot, when you can get 60% off discounts more or less regularly throughout the year. I guess they are experimenting to see where our "pain point" is, at which a sale will turn sour.

But if anything, DAZ3D has taught me patience, and I'm "hoarding" 822 items on my wishlist. The introduction of G3 has, fortunately, made me spend a lot less, as I'm still mostly using G1/G2. I'm also training myself to do less instabuy, though some items are too hard too resist.

I always wait a few hours before buying; my reasons for changing how I buy I've discussed elsewhere, and yes it is Daz related, but now I spend time thinking about it; the urge usually disappears, or I just remove most items and buy the one.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

As I go through my wishlist regularly and sort out things that looked good spontaniously, but later, not so much, I can usually safely fill my cart as far as the budget allows from wishlist items in the normal, no strings attached "x% off" sales. Of course, not every item automatically goes into the cart just because it's on the "no longer new, qualifies for sales" wishlist. There's a lot of "nice to have someday, perhaps" items on there, which I'll leave for even more amazing sales than this one. wink

New items and more complicated sales, I'm handling the same way you do, with the difference that I usually dump items into the wishlist rather than shop-nirvana. 

• BeeMKay said:

@BeeMKay

Ditto!  I was jumping with joy at 3am this morning (I'm an insomniac) when I received the email from DAZ about the 80% off toon sale.  ... I noticed that they pictured Konrad on their sale picture, but he wasn't actually on the list of things for sale (he's on my wishlist, and I've been waiting for him to go on sale when I have $$$).

I had no problem snagging 12 things for the 80% off either of the lists (Toon & Genesis). <--- Yes, I agree that Genesis is harder to find things for, since I own most of those things already, except lots of the realistic-type models. ---> I utilize toon in my animations and comics, realism and Iray-anything are both kinda lost causes on me.

I might go back in later today and snag up the other characters and items like Kochini and such.  <--- I wait to see what Rendorosity is doing with their sales first, because I matriculate back and forth between mainly this site and theirs.

I will admit to EmotionalOutlet that I agree that some sales are not really that awesome that DAZ has been running lately.  This one is fantastic, because... yeah toons and genesis-  I have lots of both on my wishlist, but when they run Genesis 3 model sales and force you to buy 2 items in order to receive a percentage off....  No.  Not my favorite kind of sale when that happens.  Also when you consider that Gen 3-Legacy 7 Models are not my forte for the most part to begin with, because I don't render realism, nor care to.  (There are a few acceptions, like Kenji 7 who I have on a wishlist and was too broke to buy when he was released and a few other toony ones).

So yeah--- when things go as low as 80% off.  I'm taking whatever I can carry out of that sale.  When Dreamlight had a 90% off sale a while back, I nearly made off with every single thing that he had designed, taught, or scripted -  of course, I wasn't forced to buy 12 of anything in order to get that sale.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845

Judging by some of the replies it seems the discount sale will be amazing for some.

nDelphi said:

Judging by some of the replies it seems the discount sale will be amazing for some.

Especially if you get DO items, that's 80% and 30% off, ending up being 86% off

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited August 2016
    Ati said:

I don't do toon renders, but I had a look to see how many PC+ items were in the Genesis sale that I didn't already have. Two (neither of which I wanted). I'd hope my working with it/buying it ratio is not that out of whack when it comes to non-PC+ stuff, but the result of that first look was a big reminder that I've already got a ton of stuff that once gave me the same 'wouldn't it it be a good idea to buy this!' feeling, and so I couldn't be bothered to look any further. Far more satisfying (and cheaper!) today to fire up Daz for that 'I've actually managed to get round to doing something with this!' feeling :)

Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • TomTombaTomTomba Posts: 29
    edited August 2016

Ugh. A few sales ago I joked to myself that soon I'd need to buy 18 things to get 30% off.  Over the past couple of years I've bought less and less here.  Maybe the thinking at Daz is that my type of customer is not the type of customer they want anymore, and if so that's too bad for me.  But the price rises and bad "sales" have not only made it less affordable to shop here, but less fun.  I understand that pa's deserve to be paid for their time - I'm a small business person selling arts services and I understand the cost of doing business, but I also understand that in spite of the amount I want to charge, there's an amount that my customers are willing to pay.  I'm finding the amount I want to pay for products here is harder to match now, with many of these sales promising greater value than they in fact offer (for me at least).

Post edited by TomTomba on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Some sales are good sales if you happen to have certain buying patterns.

I'll take 'this sale isn't for me' over 'this sale requires matrix calculations' or 'this sale is immediately superceded by the next day's sales.'

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I fairly cleaned out my toon wishlist with the RDNA stuff that came over recently.  blush  I had no problem getting 12 items and then some.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I had very little trouble finding 12 toon items all around a dollar to two each at discount even threw the G3little ones big bundle in making it $20 down from $99

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

My cart currently  has 13 items from the Toon sale and 14 from the Genesis sale. I don't know if I'm actually going to buy all of that, though it is very tempting. I've wanted the Little Ones bundle since it was released, but it was way out of my budget at the time. Five of the toon items are PC+, coming in at 60¢ each. I don't really need Frog Boy, et al, but for that price, they can come live in my runtime! I never got into the Cookie/Chip/Star stuff. But if I had, I'd be getting a plethora of items. A lot of those products are only $5.00 to start with!

But right now—because I haven't decided if I want to get just the Toons, just the Genesis, or splurge and get both—I need to clear all of those out of my cart if I want to take advantage of the Mega-Flash sale. Decisions, decisions...

L'Adair said:

But right now—because I haven't decided if I want to get just the Toons, just the Genesis, or splurge and get both—I need to clear all of those out of my cart if I want to take advantage of the Mega-Flash sale. Decisions, decisions...

Yeah, I had that issue, too... We should have two carts. :)

• nDelphi said:

I think it depends on what a buyer uses DAZ Studio for and how long that they've been coming to this site.  

If a purchaser is a five year veteran of this site, or doesn't like toons and Genesis - then, yes, this sale is no good for them.  

(When I go to Renderosity to buy, I can clearly see which PA merchants disavow all existence of the Legacy 5 models entirely.  These merchants have tons of content for Victoria 4 and then, BAM - a long gap and then they start making make content for Genesis 3 Female.  Usually Genesis 2 & 1 get the shaft.)

Also, if a buyer is a newbie or newer member here, like me - and/or likes stylized models over realism and/or simply enjoys the plethora of morphs that Genesis 1 has available to its character library  - then this sale is amazing.

I'll take any sale that DAZ has to offer and weigh out the pros and cons.  Do I need the item?  Will I ever foresee needing it in the future?  Can I wait and see if the sale gives better buying options, higher percentage off numbers, or will it give more package and bulk options later down the line? Are the material Iray only? <---- this is a huge factor for me, because I don't have the equipment to render in this mode, and I often don't have time to tweak all of the shaders zone by zone.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,759

I had no problem filling a cart of Genesis items to get the 80%.  I also had no problem dumping out the entire cart. If the two sales had been complimentary... that is, if you got the discount from a combined 12 ites from both categories, or the number of items required had been lower, DAZ would probably have had a sale.  As it is, we all know darn well that these items are all going to show up at the same price again or better, I'm still ingesting that massive wave of V4/M4 stuff that I picked up in the last couple of RDNA sales, and the PA sale is around the courner.  Funzies.       

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261

20% off means, you will pay 80% of the items price. 80% off means you will pay 20%. 80% is four times 20%. To get this price you have to buy exactly four times many items, 12 instead of 3 (how convenient). This means that as long as there are enough items with the same or a smaller price than the items you want to buy, it makes no sense to buy less than 12 items. You are out of luck if you only want 3 of the cheapest items in the sale, then you will only get basically 9 items for free, without any savings. Worst case is if you can only buy less than 12 items (because there are only 11 items you have not bought already, for instance), in which case you will pay actually more than you would pay for 12 items. In the latter case you probably should look out for sales on hard-disk drives instead of 3d-models, tbh.

• DirewrathDirewrath Posts: 225

This store has become more of a pain to deal with over the last few years.  I would be just fine with the typical once a year sales that happen every year at the same time then one sale right after another that asks that you buy multiple items in order to get so and so discount, or that require you to buy a new item in order to get the discount.  Not everyone is going to purchase the newest G3 female model just so they can get a deal on items that sat in their wishlist for a year or more. 

If they need to have a sale every day on this site just to sell anything then maybe they should look at the prices that they are originally asking for, because I can guess that most of us customers do not purchase a whole lot of stuff at full asking price.  Kind of reminds me of how big chain stores like to have awesome sales during the holidays, you think you are getting a great deal until you realize that the store itself is banking because they are actually selling everything way over the actual true asking price of their inventory during the rest of the year. 

I'll wait until the next big sale to stuff my cart, Genesis stuff goes on sale all of the time, so I can be patient and wait for the sale that I feel benefits me more.

If they need to have a sale every day on this site just to sell anything then maybe they should look at the prices that they are originally asking for

( was only thinking this morning that it would be great if they could just level the prices out so that each item costs what the average price for it would be over a year, and just leave it there. I'd love to be be able to see something and think 'That's a great price for that - I'll wishlist it until I need it', or to be able to look for something I need at any point and be confident about buying it there and then, instead of wondering how long I can put a project off for because of the certainty that the product is likely to be substantially cheaper some time soon-ish. Yes, we'd lose a lot of bargain basement prices (often on things we don't actually want and would not otherwise have bought!) but, time being money, we'd gain in other ways. Sometimes I'd swear I spend more time shopping and browsing the forums for mention of deals I might have missed than I spend working with what I buy.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    nDelphi said:

I think it depends on what a buyer uses DAZ Studio for and how long that they've been coming to this site.  

Of course, which is why I used the word "some", twice. :)

If they need to have a sale every day on this site just to sell anything then maybe they should look at the prices that they are originally asking for

( was only thinking this morning that it would be great if they could just level the prices out so that each item costs what the average price for it would be over a year, and just leave it there. I'd love to be be able to see something and think 'That's a great price for that - I'll wishlist it until I need it', or to be able to look for something I need at any point and be confident about buying it there and then, instead of wondering how long I can put a project off for because of the certainty that the product is likely to be substantially cheaper some time soon-ish. Yes, we'd lose a lot of bargain basement prices (often on things we don't actually want and would not otherwise have bought!) but, time being money, we'd gain in other ways. Sometimes I'd swear I spend more time shopping and browsing the forums for mention of deals I might have missed than I spend working with what I buy.

The problem is, it's been proven over and over again that the "everyday low price" model just doesn't work that well for retailers. For most people, if they know that something will be the same price in a year and don't need it at the moment, there's no rush to buy it.  On the other hand, if something is a great price NOW, that will oten encourage people to buy something that they wouldn't even think about buying otherwise.  That's why they invented seaonal fashions and new car model years.  

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

"NEW SALE POLICY!"

"Prices permanently cut 50% on everything in the store! No more sales ever!"

Then people would just buy what they needed, when they needed it. Financial disaster for Daz.

•  

The problem is, it's been proven over and over again that the "everyday low price" model just doesn't work that well for retailers. For most people, if they know that something will be the same price in a year and don't need it at the moment, there's no rush to buy it.  On the other hand, if something is a great price NOW, that will oten encourage people to buy something that they wouldn't even think about buying otherwise.  That's why they invented seaonal fashions and new car model years.  

Guess who was crabby this morning?  It's an age thing and who actually likes Monday mornings? So the sale rubbed me the wrong way, what can I say?  It made me look and I could have better spent the time doing other things. :(

Cybersox13, I guess you don't shop at Walmart? Their "everyday low price" keeps me and many others coming back. :) 

Don't get me wrong I like sales! Who doesn't?  But when does a sale no longer feel like a sale?  If you start by overpicing a product and then put it on sale to reflect what is most likely the realistic market value? That's going to work only so long!

Or if you have a sale every day? Or a flash sale 5 times a day with the same PA's? Eventually that's going to get worn out and you'll just wait to purchase until you actually need an item. Even it you aren't getting it on sale!

Or if you have certain restrictions (like buying x number of products) to qualify for the discount.

I suspect these "amazing" sales are targeting new users and that might be a good deal for them!

DAZ3D.com does the concept of "stickiness" very well and this is a very busy site. Which is ultimately good for its PA's. So that's admirable!

But at the end of today I'll wait for another "better" sale. Could be tomorrow! :))

edited August 2016

Cybersox13, I guess you don't shop at Walmart? Their "everyday low price" keeps me and many others coming back. :) 

No... they may advertise it, but WalMart doesn't have set "everyday low prices" in the context given by Astracadia, ie: "it would be great if they could just level the prices out so that each item costs what the average price for it would be over a year, and just leave it there."  In fact, WalMart is pretty much the ultimate SALE driven store, as they mark down a huge portion of inventory every week... if you see the :) that means it was just repriced... and they're constantly bending the vendors over to get better wholesale rates..  What's more, if they don't get the lowe wholesale prices, the product is pulled from the store.  Think you can come back to WalMart in six months and find the same product for the same price you bought it for six months ago?  The odds are better that it won't even be stocked by the store anymore.   Is that how you want DAZ to be run?    

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited August 2016

Yup, I'm glad Daz made me change my buying habbits; I don't do toons as a rule, so ignored this as whilst there are a couple of items I want, I decided the beginning of the year, I don't care how good the sale is, I'm not buying stuff just to get something else cheaper...

I can wait.

... It is the truest truism I've ever seen, "there will always be another sale."

Spending time looking for deals puts the price up; my time is valuable to me, if not to Daz(?), I object to having to spend it finding out what is the best deal.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I suppose it could be much, much worse...

This site could be like Content Paradise, and hold sales once in a blue moon (if at all) and keep their items permanently locked in a single fixed rate for nearly all eternity.

I have so many strange and stylized models that I really, really like on Content Paradise - some from Meshbox, Darkseal, and VanishingPoint (but I don't really NEED those models in general, so I don't really care if I ever buy those wishlisted things on that site).

I'm pretty certain that CP has been pretty much abandoned by the Smith & Micro Moderators for a while now (or the vendors themselves decide when to have sales, like Darkseal who announces his sales on Deviantart.)

PS: I'm not even going to mention that you get charged a fee at the checkout point for keeping your purchased downloads available for a year on ContentParadise,  so if all of my computers crash at once and also all of my backups, then I'll have to pay full price in order to buy all of the stuff that I've purchased on their site all over again.  Yeah, yeah, yeah... don't get me started on paying a yearly fee for online backup --- just what I want.  Another membership yay... indecision

Although, on a positive note about Content Paradise, when I buy something, I always immediately accrue reward coupons that I can use the next time I shop there.

DAZ doesn't offer the reward/frequent buyers points/cash like Renderosity, Hivewire, or CP does - which is sad, since I spend most of my money here.... but DAZ DOES know how to market to the public by holding these rotating, daily sales and they draw people like me in.  Maybe I'll get sick of the 'sales' a year from now.

Who knows.  But I do know that if and when I absolutely need something - I will pay for it.  Sale or no sale.

Petercat said:

"NEW SALE POLICY!"

"Prices permanently cut 50% on everything in the store! No more sales ever!"

Then people would just buy what they needed, when they needed it. Financial disaster for Daz.

It's no more than what I do when I buy on eBay, Amazon, etc and they're surviving :) The last thing I bought on eBay was a cage for my guinea pigs. I'd already determined that the price was acceptable to me and knew how much it was going to be because the price had been unchanged in my watch list for a while, and I did not have to assume that waiting for a while would see it massively reduced for a day. Nor did I have to have it in my cart simultaneously with a newly-released bag of guinea pig bedding and a chewy carrot toy that I'd had to scour the site for to keep the cost down :)

• It's no more than what I do when I buy on eBay, Amazon, etc and they're surviving :) The last thing I bought on eBay was a cage for my guinea pigs. I'd already determined that the price was acceptable to me and knew how much it was going to be because the price had been unchanged in my watch list for a while, and I did not have to assume that waiting for a while would see it massively reduced for a day. Nor did I have to have it in my cart simultaneously with a newly-released bag of guinea pig bedding and a chewy carrot toy that I'd had to scour the site for to keep the cost down :)

Totally agreed on that point.  

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I think they'd lose a lot of business if they stopped doing the sales. Many people just can't afford to buy these items as a hobby at the normal prices. Don't get me wrong, I think the prices are probably needed to be pretty high to compensate the amount of work that the PAs put into the products. However, that doesn't negate the fact that the prices are going to be too high for many people to justify paying full price for. Even at 50% off many of the items are just priced a bit too high for many people. Personally I don't usually buy unless I can get at least 70% off. If they stopped doing sales I'd definitely have to move on to something else as this hobby would be entirely too expensive.