Need advice on workflow from Blender to Iray

Hi all! I'm learning modelling in Blender in hopes of using my creations in Daz Studio Iray.

I have followed instructions of several tutorials on modelling and then the texturing proccess. Usually, the texturing is made having Cycles in mind and that is what I have been learning; but I feel that I might have been losing time in the sense that I should have to do that differently if I want to use Iray.

I have found too a very interesting video tutorial in blenderguru about PBR materials for Cycles. Is this useful for Iray? How does this texturing translates in Daz Studio?

What I want to know if you can help me is how is the usual workflow for this. Should I model, assign materiales and UV in Blender and then texture in Daz Studio? Should I learn using the shader mixer/builder in DS if I want to do that?

I know that if a knew more about all of this world I would not be asking this; but I want to focus first in what might be the ideal path to follow on this.

I don't know if I made myself clear enough; anyway, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 197

Rafmer,
    Having cut my teeth in Blender and recently started using DAZ more and more, I can tell you that there isn't any one way to go about what you're describing.  As with any complex process one needs a North Star to guide the journey.  In the case of compositing and rendering I would choose a shape (say a simple sphere, for example) and begin by applying textures, mats and shaders to that in Blender and then exporting the OBJ into DAZ and seeing what happens when Iray comes into play.  For enlightenment (no pun intended), try reversing the process.  Ultimately you'll find your own way through the maze and be much richer in knowledge for it.  Keep notes.  And don't be discouraged.

Good luck!

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

Thanks for your answer. I have exported some minor projects from Blender to Daz, but I have not tried the opposite; good idea. I'll see how iray shaders translate in Blender.