Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I still cringe when I remember it took me an hour to render this ONE picture. >_<</div>

But it looks really good. I like it! :)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I've been watching the new enhanced TOS episodes. While the CG ships look awesome... I miss the way the episodes were originally aired. I liked how most of the planets looked like a moldy orange they found in the fridge. I want to see the episodes the way I saw them as a kid.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I've been watching the new enhanced TOS episodes. While the CG ships look awesome... I miss the way the episodes were originally aired. I liked how most of the planets looked like a moldy orange they found in the fridge. I want to see the episodes the way I saw them as a kid.

I don't, tv was b/w.

The DVD set though is in colour, much better :-)

For those wanting to make a medical panel:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/star-fleet-medical-reference-manual.php

scroll way down ... there's an image of the panel.

[n.b. do not hot-link to the image!]

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Just working on scenes. Hope you like it.

wwww1_copy.jpg
    800 x 560 - 72K
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Question for the group.

When does TOS take place?

I have always understood it to be around 2250 (give or take a decade), but while rereading the Blish novelizations of TOS, the time period is consistent with the 2500s (Not just once but in multiple stories, same time period.)

2260's

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Here is my recruitment for Paul's Mirror Trek. My Character LeAnn is in the middle surrounded by 2 Orion's (one green and the other Grey) an an Andorian, and a Cheron. I altered Mylochka's face skin on her some to give her a nice set of ruby red lips. The star field, ships and the stateroom are all separate layers that were added together in Photoshop to create the look you see here.

DAZ_Were_Looking_for_a_few_good_women.jpg
    1000 x 653 - 529K
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

They're all hired...I'll figure out what to do with them later.

Or leave it to Ptrope to come up the the perfect comment.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Sexiest. Box of Crayons. Ever. ;)

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    Just working on scenes. Hope you like it.

Looks good. I like the darkened background to bring out the shuttle and character. Well done!

-Paul

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:

Glad you like them, I figured Paul had smacked me around enough for not posting anything of late! So I figured to go hog wild. Thanks to Matty for the starships in the background!

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:

I'll stick to my own purple.

Gym6.jpg
    1030 x 870 - 504K
    edited December 1969

Okay, not nearly as exciting as all the babes ;) ...

I've decided the best way to handle the quarters is to republish the entire set, with both the original and the 'dorm' pieces, because I've made numerous updates to it since it was first posted; for instance, it's now all separate PP2s, and I've added things like an alternate outer wall with windows, the window cover, and added a bathroom door to the right-side wall (no bathroom, though - sorry ;) );I've also updated the overhead panels in the corridor to include the translucent panels, finally. In addition to the PP2s, I'm going to include PZ3s of both versions, so it can all be preloaded. At the moment, I'm still checking all the components and making sure I have all the assets in the proper places, so it may still be a day or two before it's up - it'll be the same link as the current one @ ShareCG.

Dorm004_sample.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 161K
    Dorm003_sample.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 181K
    Dorm002_sample.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 163K
    edited December 1969

I wouldn't say that, my girls are always looking for new places to party in and crash out after a long night. Love the look and I can't wait to get my hands on it so my girls can shake the walls!

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

great work, Ptrope! Very generous of you and much appreciated

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2012

ssgbryan said:
    Question for the group.

When does TOS take place?

I have always understood it to be around 2250 (give or take a decade), but while rereading the Blish novelizations of TOS, the time period is consistent with the 2500s (Not just once but in multiple stories, same time period.)

You have to keep in mind that Blish was supposedly given "Final shooting scripts" to work from. Those scripts did not contain alot of the re-writes they did on the set. And even then, there's at least one case where you'd think the writers didn't know how to add or subtract.

In both "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan" it's stated that the events take place 200 years after Khan's rule ended in the late 1990's.
    Now, the 1990's were in the 20th century. Star Trek's TOS era was established as being set in the 23rd century.
    Now when I was taught my math, 2 from 23 left 21- not 20. So, with the years figured correctly, it's clear that we haven't missed the Eugenics Wars because they haven't happened yet- and the Botany Bay wasn't lost in 1999, 2199.
    Cover up! They fudged the dates so the civilian population would think the wars were further in the past than they were! :-)

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There are plenty of inconsistencies in the timeline in TOS. In Squire of Gothos, Trelayne is looking 900 years in the past, and his decor is not medieval.

edited December 1969

There are plenty of inconsistencies in the timeline in TOS. In Squire of Gothos, Trelayne is looking 900 years in the past, and his decor is not medieval.

True. His uniform certainly wasn't.

edited December 1969

Done! The updated, all-newer, all-cooler "Starship Cabin" is uploaded to ShareCG (link; this is the same location as before, so the freebie list doesn't need to be updated)

All of the props can be loaded separately; I've also included 2 complete PZ3s, one of each version, so you can preload the whole shebang. It's kind of a mix - some of the props have external OBJ geometries, others have them embedded (sorry - I'm too lazy to go through and extract something like 55 OBJ files and update the PP2s ;)). The full package is now 28 Mb. You'll need to download the bridge chair separately. Oh, yeah, one other caveat: I didn't make separate PP2s of the twin beds and pillows, since they're actually part of the Pike quarters; they only show up in the PZ3 - but you were going to load the PZ3 first, anyway, right? ;)

Dorm005_sample.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 166K
    Cabin001_sample.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Done! The updated, all-newer, all-cooler "Starship Cabin" is uploaded to ShareCG (link; this is the same location as before, so the freebie list doesn't need to be updated)

All of the props can be loaded separately; I've also included 2 complete PZ3s, one of each version, so you can preload the whole shebang. It's kind of a mix - some of the props have external OBJ geometries, others have them embedded (sorry - I'm too lazy to go through and extract something like 55 OBJ files and update the PP2s ;)). The full package is now 28 Mb. You'll need to download the bridge chair separately. Oh, yeah, one other caveat: I didn't make separate PP2s of the twin beds and pillows, since they're actually part of the Pike quarters; they only show up in the PZ3 - but you were going to load the PZ3 first, anyway, right? ;)

Got it. Thanks!!

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Wonderful, Ptrope!

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Has anyone thought to do Genesis based Portraits of the TOS crew?

edited December 1969

Ptorpe, When I loaded your dorm Pz3, this is what I got. It's also asking for a weird file name;

apophysis_noodling_3_by dogsdinner-d4rjawt.jpg

Color me confused.:roll:

HUH.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 241K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Same scene, different angle, larger resolution.

...and yes, the monitor is still displaying active vital signs. Maybe that's why Kirk is glancing at Spock. :gulp:

Sincerely,

Bill

Trek-Morgue-J-2.jpg
    1387 x 822 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:

...and yes, the monitor is still displaying active vital signs. Maybe that's why Kirk is glancing at Spock. :gulp:

Sincerely,

Bill

Is there a good screen cap of the monitor from "Where No Man" when Gary makes all his life signs stop and the indicators fall? Maybe someone can work with that.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

I really like this angle a lot more. Give a much better view of the scene and whats happening

edited December 2012

mdbruffy said:
    Ptorpe, When I loaded your dorm Pz3, this is what I got. It's also asking for a weird file name;

Hmm, me, too! There may be a crosstalk issue - that curved piece is Wall_Right from the Pike quarters, rather than the TOS quarters - it may be picking up the wrong OBJ (this is something I've just noticed recently in another image, where Poser insisted on grabbing the wrong image file, but with the right name - I think it's a problem with multiple Runtimes, where Poser searches ALL of them, and it may be pulling in the first one it finds with the right name).

Don't know what to tell you about the image file - I didn't see that when I checked the files for JPG links, but I'll check it when I get back home. Sorry about that! Thought I had it all sorted out!

EDIT: Ahh-HAH! That image is what I used as a background for the scene when I rendered the sample images - didn't think to check the PZ3 for rogue images!

Post edited by Ptrope on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Is there a good screen cap of the monitor from "Where No Man" when Gary makes all his life signs stop and the indicators fall? Maybe someone can work with that.

Linked is the Blu-Ray screen capture when Mitchell "dies" on command for Dehner.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03hd/wherenomanhasgonebeforehd300.jpg

Meh, it would be "cleaner" just to select the "pointers" and copy them upon the bottom of the range using one of the recreated graphs.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    mdbruffy said:

Hmm, me, too! There may be a crosstalk issue - that curved piece is Wall_Right from the Pike quarters, rather than the TOS quarters - it may be picking up the wrong OBJ (this is something I've just noticed recently in another image, where Poser insisted on grabbing the wrong image file, but with the right name - I think it's a problem with multiple Runtimes, where Poser searches ALL of them, and it may be pulling in the first one it finds with the right name).

Don't know what to tell you about the image file - I didn't see that when I checked the files for JPG links, but I'll check it when I get back home. Sorry about that! Thought I had it all sorted out!

EDIT: Ahh-HAH! That image is what I used as a background for the scene when I rendered the sample images - didn't think to check the PZ3 for rogue images!

I only have one runtime. I refer to it as" the Runtime that ate Chicago" because it's so big.

This discussion has been closed.