Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,245
    edited December 1969

Alice Eve is styled quite a bit like Sally Kellerman as Elizabeth Denner in the Gary Mitchell episode

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 2012

TimG said:
    Alice Eve is styled quite a bit like Sally Kellerman as Elizabeth Denner in the Gary Mitchell episode

Looks like you nailed!

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/09/karl-urban-reveals-cumberbatch-star-trek-sequel-character/

he is Gary Mitchel.....maybe.

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Damn Paul, you are going to make me blush. After the idiot thew it out the back of the Rhino coming back from R&R and blowing out the sound card and the occasional random shutdowns I had to replace it, since this is my only way to stay in contact with the world. With the work you have been doing I figured you would get the best use out of it instead of just throwing it away since I wouldn't be using it anymore. It gives me a great feeling to see you getting some use out of it.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

Ok. so far I've tried Opera, Firefox and Safari, and each of them have issues with showing images for this site. I'm leaning towards this being a firewall issue with Cloudflare. Just wish I knew what put them on the blocked list this week.

David

• mylochkamylochka Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hey, Shadowhawk, I'm working on your Cheron skin. Here's a WIP file if you (and/or everyone) want to take it for a test render http://sta.sh/02bnnvupk0kc

The main issue I'm having right now is that if I get the black side any blacker, I'll begin to lose all detail. My question for the group -- does this matter?

V4_Cheron_02.jpg
    669 x 669 - 245K
    V4_Cheron_01.jpg
    669 x 669 - 248K
    edited December 1969

Hmm... I do love Gary Mitchell. I would tongue-kiss Gary Mitchell... and Sherlock Holmes... So, Sherlock Holmes as Gary Mitchell wearing a long Sherlock Holmes coat... this movie may work out for me...

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

mylochka said:
    Hey, Shadowhawk, I'm working on your Cheron skin. Here's a WIP file if you (and/or everyone) want to take it for a test render http://sta.sh/02bnnvupk0kc

The main issue I'm having right now is that if I get the black side any blacker, I'll begin to lose all detail. My question for the group -- does this matter?

I say keep the skin as it is. It looks good and you are right too dark and the details will fade.

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mylochka said:

I say keep the skin as it is. It looks good and you are right too dark and the details will fade.

Yeah -- a lot's going to depend on how you light the figure, too.

edited December 1969

OMG!!! I could so kiss you right now! I think it looks amazing! I think the black and white looks perfect. Although in one picture the black looks a little off on the nose but is OK on the other. I am downloading the file now to play with

edited December 1969

I was working really hard to get the torso and face maps to line up so... it's possible. It gets kind of hard to tell what's going on with the black side.

I also have a mat where you can switch the finger and toe nail polish so you can have the black nails on the white side and visa versa. It looked really cool while I did test renders.

edited December 1969

I think that would look really cool. Not sure if you planned on doing an makeups for the texture or not but a reversed make up design, Black on the white side and vise versa would be very striking. As far as the black side that I mentioned it looked right every where but the bottom of the nose so it might have been an illusion. Thank you so much for taking on this project.

edited December 1969

Makeup.... mmm... hadn't thought of that... that could look really striking -- Some of the very 1960;s op-art style alien makeup like they used on the show? yeah. that could be cool...

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 2012

I created a female cheronian some time ago, and that black side of the face is VERY hard to get detail in, but here's some pics, if you click on the links:

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Cheron_Female_Test_002.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Cheron_Female_Test_001.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Cheron_Female_Test_003.jpg

By the way, on the "Into Darkness" I PREFER it to be Gary Mitchell. I hope it is. If it is Khan, it's a fail. Gary might work.

Ken

Post edited by Demonslayer on
    edited December 1969

It says you have moved or deleted your images.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

It says you have moved or deleted your images.

Copy and paste the whole URL and it wil work

edited December 2012

Try copying and pasting the whole line. There's a space in the url that's messing up the link. Sorry. :(

UPDATE: Links fixed. :)

Post edited by Demonslayer on
    edited December 1969

I am sure that what ever you give her will look great!

edited December 1969

OK that worked it looks like you used a solid black and white shader. Have you tried color shading an existing skin mat? If you are not planning on distributing the altered texture you could just pick one out of your texture library but if you plan on posting it there are plenty of resource sets out there that you can use.

edited December 1969

I did do a solid black and white, and it does hose it. It was a quick experiment, and I would fix it for a real project with actual maps darkened or lightened. The skin on the cheronians was very shiny on the black side too, in the episode, so it might help to have a bump map and increase the shinyness a little and not use matte shaders, but it will take real tweaking to make it work.

edited December 1969

I remember that episode and I think if it were to be redone today they would have toned down the make up to look more life like, but if you are trying to capture the real look if the original I think you have a good start. I think it all comes down to the look you like and are looking for.

edited December 1969

Totally agreed. And, they were only two examples of a world that no doubt, had millions of inhabitants. There's a LOT of room for variations! :)

edited December 1969

I think adding some subsurface scattering and shine will improve the look of my Cheron texture. I'm moving to my computer with Poser 8 installed to experiment.

• edited December 2012

The villian in the new "J.J. Trek" movie?

GARTH. OF. IZAR.

...Or maybe not. ;-P

Post edited by blubeetle3_c656fcc6f5 on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

GARTH. OF. IZAR.

...Or maybe not. ;-P

Is that the rumour? Because that would RAWK! I remember that character.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Poserworld has an "SFO" for V4. But the collar is nowhere near correct.

http://poserworld.com/Downloads/Victoria.4/11657/SFO.for.Victoria.4.aspx

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

GARTH. OF. IZAR.

...Or maybe not. ;-P

That would work. Lets face it, they dont want to copy the original movies. Though the theme of a vengful character for number two, just like Khan works.

And in other news...

Doomsday-03.jpg
    900 x 900 - 383K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

Seems to be the only way I can get the site to work correctly is to replace "www" with "cdn" and then all of the images load correctly. I just wish that when you clicked on a link that it would take you to the "cdn" version so I wouldn't have to keep substituting...

David

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

mylochka said:

If it's not too difficult, why not both? As I recall, except for the shininess of the makeup, the black side didn't have much detail in the episode, either.

Purists will have their true black, and artists will have their detail.

[shrug] What can I say? In life as in politics, I'm a big believer in choices. [wry smile]

• edited December 1969

wancow said:

GARTH. OF. IZAR.

...Or maybe not. ;-P

Is it a rumour? I created it and you're spreading it. That's the very definition of rumour!

I just went by the "your world" line and the fact that Cumberpatch was wearing a Starfleet uniform.

Anyhoo, I'm back to set building. RDuda's Sovereign Class Ready Room as Captain Norstrom's ready room aboard the U.S.S. Invictus.

readyroom06.jpg
    812 x 748 - 222K
    readyroom04.jpg
    812 x 748 - 206K
    readyroom03.jpg
    812 x 748 - 236K
    readyroom02.jpg
    812 x 748 - 275K
    readyroom01.jpg
    812 x 748 - 300K
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

The whole room is great, but I especially love the little added touches of set decoration. I'm kinda weak on that, myself.

This discussion has been closed.