Multiplane Cyclorama, Millenium Environment and Woodland Realm whatisitallabouts ....

ThePatrickThePatrick Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi there,

can anybody please explain how these things belong together or how they compare???

The descriptions of these products read all very similar, but they are different products. It seams to me, that one was first and the others came later. But which should I buy, when I only want the best??

What makes it more complicated (and depressing):

There are products like these:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/mediterranean-backgrounds

which require all three (or four) products. Why??

Have I really to buy all four products to be able to use different environment addons (which I asume to be mostly different background and immediate images for illustration) ???

Can anybody please make this a little more clear for me?

In the past I did not use background images, but in the future I might. It also seams, that I already own (like it seams) the Multiplane Cyclorama or a restricted version of it. But I never bought such stuff. It might have been included in the free Safari starter pack, I installed long time ago ...

Any tips, hints ....

Thanks in advance!

ThePatrick

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Multiplane Cyclorama was the first, the Millennium Environment was an improved version. The Cyclorama does have the advantage that there are literally thousands of freebie textures for it.

Those products which list all 4 as requirements have textures and mat poses for all 4 sets, but you only need one of them to use them.

• ThePatrickThePatrick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the fast reply!

How do the Woodland realm packs fit into this? Are these better fit for wood scenes or is there any other benefit?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

And yes, the Cyclorama was included in the Safari Starter Bundle. It was also included in some versions of DS, definitely DS2, can't recall if it was also in 3.

• edited December 1969

Hi , I have bought Multiplane Cyclorama; I have two questions:

1/Having an image of some landscape, how can I use it with Multiplane. Where should I put the jpeg file?

2/ I downloaded some cycloramas from Renderosity. After unzipping the files I found these:

SSbump1.jpg
    standingstonesspec1.jpg
    standingstonestex1.jpg

Again no explanation on where to put the files......What should I do and where should I put them?

Really people think that because they are skill developers everyone should be too!This is exasperating!

Thanks in advance for helping me.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well depends on the set you have but where to put the maps is easy when you look at the names.

SSBump = Bump mapo goes in to the bump map channel
    standingstonesspec1.jpg is the Specualer map and goes in to the Specual Strength channel
    standingstonestex1.jpg is th TEXture map and goes in to the diffuse channel.

Trial and error has to be in you workflow to learn faster and better. You have nothing to loose by trying and everything to gain.

I think there is a tutorail about this on ShareCG.com but at the moment I don't have access to a lot of links.

• edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Well depends on the set you have but where to put the maps is easy when you look at the names.

SSBump = Bump mapo goes in to the bump map channel
    standingstonesspec1.jpg is the Specualer map and goes in to the Specual Strength channel
    standingstonestex1.jpg is th TEXture map and goes in to the diffuse channel.

Trial and error has to be in you workflow to learn faster and better. You have nothing to loose by trying and everything to gain.

I think there is a tutorail about this on ShareCG.com but at the moment I don't have access to a lot of links.

I did not phrase my question correctly; I meant in which folders of the Libraries or runtime should I put those files?

edited December 1969

Opps ok sorry for the pep talk then.

I am presuming these textures don't come with any Presets like PP2, MC6, DSA or DSB etc. If that is the case throw them in with your other Multiplane Cyclorama textures in a new named file and manually load the textures and save your own Material preset for the future.

• edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Opps ok sorry for the pep talk then.

I am presuming these textures don't come with any Presets like PP2, MC6, DSA or DSB etc. If that is the case throw them in with your other Multiplane Cyclorama textures in a new named file and manually load the textures and save your own Material preset for the future.

Quite right; should the folder be the runtime textures subfolder?

edited December 1969

Yeah if you intend on keeping these maps and want to make your own Material preset then yes I would persoanlly make a new folder under Runtime > Textures > Naming the new folder whatever you want. Then load the maps manually onto the Multiplane Cyclorama inside Daz Studio..then select all the surafces of the Multiplane Cyclorama and then "Save as" a material preset. So in future when you want to use the same maps the preset knows where the maps are. Plus it makes for easy backing up when your maps are all in the same place/s. Every map adjustment I have made are saved in their respective texture folders.

• edited February 2013

Szark said:
    Yeah if you intend on keeping these maps and want to make your own Material preset then yes I would persoanlly make a new folder under Runtime > Textures > Naming the new folder whatever you want. Then load the maps manually onto the Multiplane Cyclorama inside Daz Studio..then select all the surafces of the Multiplane Cyclorama and then "Save as" a material preset. So in future when you want to use the same maps the preset knows where the maps are. Plus it makes for easy backing up when your maps are all in the same place/s. Every map adjustment I have made are saved in their respective texture folders.

Thanks Pete; I'll check that. I have nearly achieved my scene of Pompeii; the Palestra and Amphitheater are done, remains to be set the lights and the terrain around two sides of the Amphitheater and then I'll begin animating the scene and preparing the files to edit with my videos.
    My sole concern is not to have been able to find Maritime pines on the web unless I had to pay huge amounts of money!

Here is how it looks:

If you have any suggestions or advices don't hesitate to give them, I'm sure there are things that might look better; the height of the trees outside the Palestra is normal; these are Maritime trees which have a height nearly four times that of the Amphitheater. They are very impressive especially when you consider that the Amphi was completely covered with a 30ft layer of ashes and lava which flowed in 3 days in 79AD!!!

coming_to_the_games.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 747K
    pompei.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
    edited December 1969

Wow the iis coming a long nicely.

If you can try to vary the trees. Are the trees Billboards or 3D trees. Either way reverse every other one so add some variation.

Oh not sure if you noticed but I sort of managed to deform a plane with one deformer like what you wanted. :)

• edited February 2013

Szark said:
    Wow the iis coming a long nicely.

If you can try to vary the trees. Are the trees Billboards or 3D trees. Either way reverse every other one so add some variation.

Oh not sure if you noticed but I sort of managed to deform a plane with one deformer like what you wanted. :)

Yeah you're right I will vary the positions of the trees by rotating them somewhat. Yes I saw your other post and printed it to use it as a tutorial.
    I'm for the moment trying to understand Bryce terrain option but the problem is that the guy who wrote the tut did it with a previous version and many commands are not at the same place which complicates the learning. I saw too that Bryce could generate terrain via a photo so that it could be a solution as there are many pics of the ruins on the net. If one can do that too for the tree generator I could then draw a Maritime pine. All the trees are 3D's I found a new set of trees which weight was a 1/4 of the previous ones so that I do not have any drag problem anymore.

I'm also revising some scaling for the amphi as to make it easier to go through with the camera when I'll render it. I must say I'm enjoying myself a lot with this project and editing ideas come into my mind while I do the 3D. I found other different models of the major part of the Pompeii site and will probably use them as well as examples of different sets reconstructing the site before the eruption. A French guy did that and it's amazing when you think he did it in the late 50s; check it out here: Pompeii revisited and reconstructed
    I'm in contact now with him, he used an 8m/m camera then transferred later the whole movie to VHS and now to digital! Imagine the time it took him to make the ruins match exactly the models!!!! At the time there was no pc or digital editing softwares!

Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
    edited December 1969

Bryce upto date tutorials http://vimeo.com/channels/165037 There are a number of pages of them too.

Bryce will can create all sorts of shapes using a terrain and the terrian editor but it does depend alot on the image you will use as a hieght map. meaning it is hit and miss to the results you get. The only way to find out is to try. :) No I don't think that would be possible to make the trees. Bryce's tree lab is a great tool when you know how to use it, I don't. :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself...good luck.

wow great real world modelling there. I have a thing for real world modelling myself. Have done much in years.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Or you could use an hdr with pines. The second, third and fourth pictures here show pines near a sea: http://www.360cities.net/search/@tags-umbrella
    One of those is this one: http://www.360cities.net/image/italy-toscana-follonica-torre-mozza-pineta-sunset-tuscany#349.74,-1.80,80.0 in which you can see how an old pine ends up being (it's from Italy, about 500 km north of Pompei).
    The project of Mr Clement is amazing!

• edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    Or you could use an hdr with pines. The second, third and fourth pictures here show pines near a sea: http://www.360cities.net/search/@tags-umbrella
    One of those is this one: http://www.360cities.net/image/italy-toscana-follonica-torre-mozza-pineta-sunset-tuscany#349.74,-1.80,80.0 in which you can see how an old pine ends up being (it's from Italy, about 500 km north of Pompei).
    The project of Mr Clement is amazing!

Hi

I've just found your post; for some obscure reasons there has been no message sent by the forum.
    I found my trees and the first part of my project is rather complete as you can see here
    project

Now I'm searching for a good cyclorama to put behind and some intermediate planes too. Then it'll be the lighting and positioning
    the skeleton for the animation.