Is this legal to do with a Product?

I know its stupid to do something and then ask this question... 

So I bought this model lately - Cookie. I love the figure, but it lacked some functionality. When loaded into DAZ, it works fine with default clothes... but I couldn't make clothes for her, since she was technically not a figure.

So I converted the figure into a DAZ model. It screwed up some weight mapping, but I fixed it. More than that, while at it, I also improved the rigging, added extra bones, further fixed some weight maps... and before starting to make Pose Controls, I wondered if these modifications are legal? 

I mean, this is for private use only. I guess that making morphs also would kinda count as modifying the mesh but... I dunno. Is this legal to do? I know I cannot share what I did here, simply because sharing the Mesh is a complete no-no, since Lady Littlefox made it. But are such modifications alright? 

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Cookie is a figure,   And she has loads of clothes in the Daz Store. http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cookie  There are also quite a lot of freebie clothes for both her and her male counterpart Chip.     I really am not quite certain why you say she is not a figure, or why you would have difficulty making clothes for her.

• As long as you don't distribute the result you can modify content however you wish and need, and use it to create renders which you can share.

• Thomas WindarThomas Windar Posts: 272
    edited August 2016
    Chohole said:

Cookie is a figure,   And she has loads of clothes in the Daz Store. http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cookie  There are also quite a lot of freebie clothes for both her and her male counterpart Chip.     I really am not quite certain why you say she is not a figure, or why you would have difficulty making clothes for her.

I usually use Transfer Utility to create clothes for Figures. When I loaded Cookie, she loads as a .cr2 file. Because of that, she can be posed and you can use the Clothes from the DAZ Store, however Transfer Utility cannot choose the model as a Source. 

The weight map brush also gives an error, saying it must select a figure that has Weight maps.

EDIT:

Ah, I see. Thank you Richard. 

Post edited by Thomas Windar on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

I usually use Transfer Utility to create clothes for Figures. When I loaded Cookie, she loads as a .cr2 file. Because of that, she can be posed and you can use the Clothes from the DAZ Store, however Transfer Utility cannot choose the model as a Source. 

The weight map brush also gives an error, saying it must select a figure that has Weight maps.

EDIT:

Ah, I see. Thank you Richard. 

All Poser figures load as CR2s

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174

It's fine as long as you don't redistribute the base figure of any form. I do it all the time with Star! and Genesis 1 figures with Blender.

Gensis 2 and 3 don't export too well into Blender though.