Using Sun-Sky & Finite Sphere with Window Seat Alcove & UG Portrait Rig 003

nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I'm using Sun-Sky & Finite Sphere with Window Seat Alcove & UG Portrait Rig 003 & Environment (Wooded I think it's a cyclorama it's for outside the alcove window)- so it looks like despite the Windows Seat Alcove model not having a roof and only 3 or 4 walls that the iRay 'Sun-Sky ith Finite Sphere lighting at noon is only supplying light into the 3 walls of the Windows Alcove via ambient light through the window. So that not quite bright enough so I add UG Portrait Rig 003 for iRay and aim at the main subject of the render but even after turning up both emitters to 10K & 13K (from previous 5K & 7K watts which should already be blindingly bright) it doesn't seem to be having an effect.

Is the Sun-Sky lighting really only coming through the Window Seat Alcove as the increased dimness suggests? Can someone recommend a nice way to light a room such as the Window Seat Alcove?

Thanks.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Use spotlights with geometry (i.e. make them big like photography softboxes or use a big emissive light above the scene and out of sight of the camera.

Watts in Studio do not necessarily equate to real life watts.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    fastbike1 said:

Use spotlights with geometry (i.e. make them big like photography softboxes or use a big emissive light above the scene and out of sight of the camera.

Watts in Studio do not necessarily equate to real life watts.

Thanks fastbike1. As I let the render run longer it is adding light to the scene. It now is starting to look like a reasonably lit indoor room. Indoor lighting in iRay is much slower to develop in a render than outdoor iRay lighting it seems.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

You don't need to set dome to Finite Sphere using Sun and Sky only, as far as I know it doesn't do anything. Where is the sun shining from? It may be low and behind the walls so is causing shadow and the light is also trying to shine through the Cyclorama model. 

It's setup at 12 noon at Salt lake City (I did that because the HRDI files I was using was not causing the water in the fishbowl to render) so it should be high in the sky. It looks inside the Windows Seat that their is light coming in from the window so that's what I want, even though the model isn't really a closed room. The UG Studio Light Preset is inside the alcove and working but even after 7 hours CPU render it is still heavily noisely/pixelated...although I can tell had I set in the render to run 3 days instead of 8 hears the lighting would have been realistic for inside a close room at noon in a windows seat.

Oddly the view outside the Window seat windows is better through the round fishbowl filled with water than it is directly through the glass of the window were it is very blurry or through just the fishbowl above the water line and the glass of the windows where it is also blurrier than through the water.

I set up the Alcove and the first thing I noticed is it has a ceiling which will cut any light from directly above. Next I loaded the Cyclorama Forest prop and moved it back slightly and round to get a view. I set up the Environment to Sun and Sky, at 21/06 (21st June, Midsummer Day) midday 55ºN-4ºW (my default settings). Draw Dome on, Intensity 1, Dome Rotation 170.

thanks

That is only part of my post. The rest is locked up on my laptop. I am on a really bad connection and it has an image attached. Wil post it when I can. This is from my tablet.

Try again :) The rest of my post what I can remember as it also disapeared from my drafts :)

Tone Mapping is 60/8/200. On rendering I noticed that the window frame was casting a shadow on the Cyclorama. This is because the dome lighting is coming in the open end of the room, the only way to stop this would be to place a plane across it to block out the light. What I did was move the camera so that the cat was hiding the shadow :) Another thing that is confusing me too was that you said you were using an HDRI for ambient light. Using that turns off the Sun and Sky parameters.

cat-in-window-001.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 138K
    Fishtales said:

On rendering I noticed that the window frame was casting a shadow on the Cyclorama. This is because the dome lighting is coming in the open end of the room, the only way to stop this would be to place a plane across it to block out the light.

Forget this bit blush

I was testing out the Faux Fur on the Mil Cat and moved the camera in close and up. The shadow I was seeing is actually the reflection of the cat in the glass of the window with the shadow of the frame across its back :)

cat-in-window-002.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 1M
    Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:

On rendering I noticed that the window frame was casting a shadow on the Cyclorama. This is because the dome lighting is coming in the open end of the room, the only way to stop this would be to place a plane across it to block out the light.

Forget this bit blush

I was testing out the Faux Fur on the Mil Cat and moved the camera in close and up. The shadow I was seeing is actually the reflection of the cat in the glass of the window with the shadow of the frame across its back :)

I must of written my phrasing incorrectly. I am using Sun-Sky so it is 'simulated HRDI lighting' not actually HRDI lighting from an HRDI image set.