Is there any way to speed up the render times?

I tried rendering in 3dlight and it still takes a few days to render 1000 frames of animation, also i encountered a problem when i render the picture it turns out to be different as it was in the preview whilst I was animating it, as the models would be moving siloettes. 

Is there any way to work around this by tweaking the settings of the render or maybe is it a good idea to export the animation into a poser file or fbx to use in poser or iclone and then render it on tthem?

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Well you can use the trick of HD games and create a dim, high contrast environment but that limits your story telling.

• What do you mean? 

What do you mean? 

High contrast scenes have less details to render:

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/special-effects-high-contrast-how-add-graphic-appeal-your-images#MCHWzzOOTyGF2v9B.97

So the best way to do that is to create scenes at night in low light, high contrast scenes outside. Lighting from street lamps and neon signs and that's about it. Please the lighting or rather the action of interest such that it is illuminated by the lighting available but in such a way that not too much detail is exposed.

It's also a fact the color is reduced with less light because less light is available to reflect those colors. That fact is the likely source of the myth that animals such as cats and dogs don't have color vision - they do but as they in the wild typically hunt at night it's not the strength of their visual systems.

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited July 2016

If you want fast renders, you will eventually need to migrate over to GPU rendering with iRay. It will be a bit of an investment at first, since high-end GPU's are not cheap. But it is well worth it. What would have taken days, could now only take hours. 

Also, I would not consider moving to Poser or iClone, since neither program natively supports full GPU rendering. Only Daz natively offers a rendering engine that fully utlizes the GPU. iClone's Indigo engine only utlilizes about 30% of the GPU (at least from the latest update I tested it on).

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • Its kinda funny since with iclone it only took a few hours, i don't know if its on gpu or cpu but it's kinda weird if iclone could render faster if it was using my cpu.

If you want fast renders, you will eventually need to migrate over to GPU rendering with iRay. It will be a bit of an investment at first, since high-end GPU's are not cheap. But it is well worth it. What would have taken days, could now only take a few hours. 

Also, there is no point to moving to Poser or iClone, since neither program natively supports full GPU rendering. Only Daz natively offers a rendering engine that fully utlizes the GPU. iClone's Indigo engine only utlilizes about 30% of the GPU (at least from the latest update I tested it on).

-P

edited July 2016

What are the stats of your computer? Without a decent GPU you will not see the benefits of GPU rendering (I usually recommend a card with a minimum of 2,000 CUDA cores)

edited July 2016

iClone renders with less colors and so likely higher contrast if they've reduced the color palette correctly

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • I have 16gb ram, 4.2ghz 4 core processor and nvidia 580 which i guess has 512 cuda cores

If you want fast renders, you will eventually need to migrate over to GPU rendering with iRay. It will be a bit of an investment at first, since high-end GPU's are not cheap. But it is well worth it. What would have taken days, could now only take a few hours. 

Also, there is no point to moving to Poser or iClone, since neither program natively supports full GPU rendering. Only Daz natively offers a rendering engine that fully utlizes the GPU. iClone's Indigo engine only utlilizes about 30% of the GPU (at least from the latest update I tested it on).

-P

What are the stats of your computer? Without a decent GPU you will not see the benefits of GPU rendering (I usually recommend a card with a minimum of 2,000 CUDA cores)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899

You are suggesting fast animations by moving to Iray? Seriously?

My advice is, in 3DL, avoiding use of UE and rely on AoA distant (or spot) + ambient. You lose a little bit of image quality for a massive increase in rendering.

Of course, it also depends on what kind of animation you are interested in. Are you shooting for a lot of realism, simple toon style, or something in between?

The Carrara renderer is supposed to be somewhat faster and if it's on sale there is a Carrara section in these forums to help you.

• Which renderer shall i use? And which one uses the gpu?

edited July 2016

Which renderer shall i use? And which one uses the gpu?

For DAZ Studio do like Will.Timmins said and only use simple 3DL or toon shaders when you render animations in DAZ Studio. In Carrara if you own it it has it's own renderer and iRay is not even available so no worries there.

You can PM mCasual how he sets up his shaders to render in DAZ Studio. He always has a nice cartoon look to his renders:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/103481/mcjhorizontalizeshoes-quickly-align-shoe-soles-with-the-floor-animated-too#latest

• Ok i do have carrara but in my project im using gn3 and v7 models so correct me if im wrong but i heard that carrara didnt have support for gn3 and v7 models

For DAZ Studio do like Will.Timmins said and only use simple 3DL or toon shaders when you render animations in DAZ Studio. In Carrara if you own it it has it's own renderer and iRay is not even available so no worries there.

You can PM mCasual how he sets up his shaders to render in DAZ Studio. He always has a nice cartoon look to his renders:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/103481/mcjhorizontalizeshoes-quickly-align-shoe-soles-with-the-floor-animated-too#latest

• I cant tell if carrara supports gn3 or v7 models or not

edited July 2016

I cant tell if carrara supports gn3 or v7 models or not

It doesn't. Only up to Genesis 2 for now. You do, or I did at least, get Michael & Victoria 5 & 6 Pro bundles if you buy Carrara which makes it an easy choice when you buy it doing one of the sales. 

edited July 2016

I have 16gb ram, 4.2ghz 4 core processor and nvidia 580 which i guess has 512 cuda cores

Ok, it sounds like you have a fairly decent machine to expand on, if you so choose. So I suppose it depends on how serious you want to get into animation, and also what kind of animations will you be doing? If you're going toon-style, then I would agree that the toon shader is quick and simple. But if you're going for hyper-realism, then iRay is the way to go. This is where the industry is headed anyway.

-P

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

The way to increase render speed is to throw cash at the problem.

3Delight, more CPU cores; Xeons, a couple, would be idea with as many cores as you can afford.

IRAY, you need Nvidia graphics cards; the 9 series and 10 series are the best. a couple of caveats here though: 9 series cards have been superseeded by the 10 series cards, but the 10 series don't yet support IRAY, it could be as soon as days or a week or so; but possible in that it will be a couple ish of weeks. (I'm guessing.)

Consider independent reviews of rendering when they become available - don't believe the hype.

You could also consider using the Octane plugin, or exporting and rendering in Blender through Cycles, both are similar to IRAY. I'm not going to suggest their relative merits. Cycles is starting to have support for GPU rendering via AMD cards, but they still (after five years) don't support all functions yet.

I know as an example that there are render farms available for Cycles (I beta tested one, and it was good), but obviously there is a cost involved. There are probably render farms available for Octane(?), and Nvidia are introducing one too.

So while the short answer to your question is throw cash at the problem, the details make it not so simple. :)

• I'm mostly doing iray since I'm using gen3 and vic7 models,some of the time I was thinking of doing toon shading. Thank you for the advice :), is a nvidia geforce 980 recommended

Ok, it sounds like you have a fairly decent machine to expand on, if you so choose. So I suppose it depends on how serious you want to get into animation, and also what kind of animations will you be doing? If you're going toon-style, then I would agree that the toon shader is quick and simple. But if you're going for hyper-realism, then iRay is the way to go. This is where the industry is headed anyway.

-P

edited August 2016

Chris,

Yes the 980 should be a good step up from your current 580. With 4 times the CUDA cores, you should in theory quadruple your iRay render speed (though in practice it will be a little less). 

Note, however, this will only help with iRay...

-P

• Chris,

Yes the 980 should be a good step up from your current 580. With 4 times the CUDA cores, you should in theory quadruple your iRay render speed (though in practice it will be a little less). 

-P

Would a gtx 1070 do for rendering iray?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

@chrisattrill_e5160c7adf "Would a gtx 1070 do for rendering iray?"

The GTX1070 should do fine for Iray, WHEN Nvidia releases Iray drivers for it, AND when Studio is updated (if needed) for the new Cuda version. It won't help you right now.

• fastbike1 said:

The GTX1070 should do fine for Iray, WHEN Nvidia releases Iray drivers for it, AND when Studio is updated (if needed) for the new Cuda version. It won't help you right now.

do i download the drivers for free when they're released? Sorry stupid question i know. I heard that they might release the iray drivers around late auguest to september?In the mean time what else can i render my animations in daz whilst using a gtx1070?

• Chris,

-P

Also is rendering the animation to a RIB a good salution?

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948

The Carrara renderer is supposed to be somewhat faster and if it's on sale there is a Carrara section in these forums to help you.

No, it's ancient and will not be updated for quite some time after humanity's full colonization on mars...

fastbike1 said:

I just plunked down good money on the 1080, and I switched from AMD for the secondary reason of nVidia's iRay support, well, at least my games are smoking!

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

One trick for rendering animations in Iray is to leave the impage preview open and set to Iray mode. It loads all the textures and stuff into the card and keeps them there. Otherwise you get stuck with Studio having to load all the textures to the card for every single frame of the animation, adding signficant delays.

One trick for rendering animations in Iray is to leave the impage preview open and set to Iray mode. It loads all the textures and stuff into the card and keeps them there. Otherwise you get stuck with Studio having to load all the textures to the card for every single frame of the animation, adding signficant delays.

That is interesting to learn...will using the Aux Viewport to do same thing?

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited August 2016

That is interesting to learn...will using the Aux Viewport to do same thing?

Yes, that's what I meant by image preview. Sorry if it wasn't clear. Here's a video where I caught on, thanks MEC4D!  She shows it in the main window but it works the same if you have it in the aux viewport.  I don't do animations much but when I'm doing multpiple test renders I usually set the aux viewport to Iray render so I can skip all that first minute of Iray doing nothing with every render. Works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-CarAgi_ns

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • edited September 2016

may i ask when will nvidia release iray support for the 10 series? Do i have to pay for the Iray? atm i have a GTX 1070 and may i ask does it render faster in opengl mode with a 1070?

Post edited by chrisattrill_e5160c7adf on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Chris,

-P

Comparing CUDA cores between generations is not really a good idea; with the same number of cores it would be much faster than the 580. Having said that, however, yeh much, much faseter.